View Poll Results: Should NFL be required to pay Federal taxes?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (explain)

    46 80.70%
  • No (explain)

    6 10.53%
  • Other (explain)

    5 8.77%
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 159

Thread: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

  1. #31
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,350

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Name some and I'll answer 'yes', 'no', or 'maybe'.
    Charities
    Churches
    Ethnic Clubs (German, French, Italian, whatever)
    Colleges and Universities
    Presidential Foundations/Libraries
    Sports Leagues

  2. #32
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Are there other non-profits that you would like to see taxed?
    Here's a candidate that I personally have investigated, the Lied Animal Foundation, a true money-maker that pays no taxes and has a history of murder to increase the bottom line. http://www.manysplendidcats.com/

    I'd like to see every one of them taxed. You know that if they actually used their donations to do good, I'd feel differently. But most of them are just corporations wearing sheep's clothing. They pay themselves well, contract services to friends and often the supposed cause sees only a fraction of their unearned income (donations). On a scale of 1 to 10, altruism is usually about a 1.

  3. #33
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    From change.org:



    http://www.change.org/petitions/cong...ootball-league


    The question is fairly black and white; should the NFL's status as tax exempt be revoked?
    In my humble opinion those calling for the NFL's tax exempt status to be revoked probably don't understand it completely. The NFL is the association to which the teams belong. I know it sounds like WHAT THE HECK because football is big business but all the money is made by the teams, not the league, and the teams do pay taxes. The NFL doesn't own any teams nor sells any tickets. I might be wrong but I think the NFL (the tax exempt league) only makes money through dues paid by the teams, the NFL Cable TV Network, NFL Films and fines.

    A good comparison more people might understand would be suppose there's a gated community of multi-million dollar homes. Within that gated community is a home owners' association that maintains the common grounds, runs the clubhouse, swimming pool, staffs the guard gate, etc. Although the homes are worth millions each, the HOA doesn't own any. All they do is cut the grass, writes and enforces HOA rules, facilitates elections for the HOA among the home owners and pays a small staff of security guards all funded by homeowner dues and maybe a little from selling stuff in the pro-shop. The homeowners paid sales taxes when their purchased and pay annual property taxes through the nose. However since the HOA is nothing more than the homeowners' residence club, its a non-profit group. In essence its no different than the American Medical Association, a private tax-exempt non-profit association of doctors. Although all member doctors are making a decent income and do pay taxes themselves, their club does not.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  4. #34
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    I think this article tells a better story. It explains the reasoning behind it in full, not with a "Oh look! Another big evil corporation making money we can't tax!" slant on it. If you still disagree, that's you prerogative. But at least you will do so with all the facts at hand. Notice how the change.org story even stole the first paragraph of the usa today article yet failed to attach the rest where it says:
    "All 32 teams are subject to tax"
    as well as
    "The league's most recent tax form said that it distributed $4.3billion to clubs, where such money is subject to tax."
    or
    ""Every dollar of income generated in the NFL — such as tickets, TV rights fees, merchandise sales, etc. — is subject to federal income tax."
    To tax or not? The NFL's relationship with the IRS
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  5. #35
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Most definitely, building a $1 billion stadium in the great recession was tasteless enough, but this is nothing but pure entertainment. They are not a necessity of life.
    What may be more tasteless is the fact that we as a society buy tickets to said facility. These guys don't just build stadiums without a demand for the stadium. This isn't Field of Dreams. If they don't build it, they won't come.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  6. #36
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    In my humble opinion those calling for the NFL's tax exempt status to be revoked probably don't understand it completely. The NFL is the association to which the teams belong. I know it sounds like WHAT THE HECK because football is big business but all the money is made by the teams, not the league, and the teams do pay taxes. The NFL doesn't own any teams nor sells any tickets. I might be wrong but I think the NFL (the tax exempt league) only makes money through dues paid by the teams, the NFL Cable TV Network, NFL Films and fines.
    The NFL does merchandising for the teams. The NFL also coordinates broadcast contracts. Plus other stuff.

    And, yes, much of that money is filtered down to the teams. And yes, the teams do pay taxes. But, any money that isn't filtered down, money that is retained by the league, regardless the reason, should be taxed. If that takes a red-defining of what a non-profit is and does, so be it.

    I would apply this to other professional sports leagues as well.

    Given how "big business" the NCAA has become, I would be open to applying the same taxation to them also (if they enjoy the same status).
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #37
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    No taxes because they would have to sell their logos to Cayman Island corporations and rent them back at exorbitant rates.
    Let's keep them all American.

  8. #38
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,204

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    They are not taxed?????

    Tax them and you can tax the churches while you are at it - except what they donate to worthy causes like the rest of us.

  9. #39
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    The NFL does merchandising for the teams. The NFL also coordinates broadcast contracts. Plus other stuff.

    And, yes, much of that money is filtered down to the teams. And yes, the teams do pay taxes. But, any money that isn't filtered down, money that is retained by the league, regardless the reason, should be taxed. If that takes a red-defining of what a non-profit is and does, so be it.

    I would apply this to other professional sports leagues as well.

    Given how "big business" the NCAA has become, I would be open to applying the same taxation to them also (if they enjoy the same status).
    Schools? NCAA money is used to finance the education of students, most of whom don't play for their college's teams.

    BTW: If I'm not mistaken non-profits aren't allowed to "retain" any money after expenses, thus no profits to tax.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  10. #40
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocument...907a8cd-9O.pdf

    Gosh darnit, they're trying their best to operate as a charitable organization on a meager $quarter of a billion a year! LOL I'm being facetious.

    Even though they have a big budget, they're not a for profit business. In America profits are taxed, not revenue and there is a difference. If we change the definition of non-profit in order to tax the NFL, we change the definition of "profit" and risk creating an anti-business climate in America. NFL share-holders, the 32 team owners, do not get paid dividends. Instead the PAY money to the NFL.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •