View Poll Results: Should NFL be required to pay Federal taxes?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (explain)

    46 80.70%
  • No (explain)

    6 10.53%
  • Other (explain)

    5 8.77%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 159

Thread: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

  1. #11
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,373

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Do any of the above posters realize that the teams do pay taxes as profit-based entities and the league as a non-profit is set up for the organization and betterment of the teams?

  2. #12
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Do any of the above posters realize that the teams do pay taxes as profit-based entities and the league as a non-profit is set up for the organization and betterment of the teams?
    Of course we understand that. Duh!!! Do you understand that we're not debating the current status of the league and/or the laws... and that we're debating whether changes should be made to the status of the league and/or laws?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #13
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    The franchises are the ones who pay the taxes...
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  4. #14
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    I'm not quick to say "yes" they should pay taxes as the NFL, as long as they live up to the status of non-profit, should remain tax exempt. However, I would support an investigation and audit into the NFL to make sure those standards continue to be met and that the number of creative accounting opportunities are kept to a minimum. The amount of money going through professional sports is very high, and since we're talking about humans and not computing running this, they have the habit of getting greedy and bending the rules. It would be nice to know the NFL is playing by the book.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Because when I make my first billion (the hardest part) I don't see why they should pay less taxes than me. This whole non-profit thing is total bull****. Bad enough these phony churches get it, why do sports get a break that others don't?
    If taxes were done in a fair and equitable manner, quite possibily the rates could be reduced.
    "tax 'em all"
    I cannot believe that the NFL is "non-profit".....who many people even know this ??

  6. #16
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    If taxes were done in a fair and equitable manner, quite possibily the rates could be reduced.
    "tax 'em all"
    I cannot believe that the NFL is "non-profit".....who many people even know this ??
    To me it demonstrates that "non profit" needs to be more narrowly defined.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #17
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    If taxes were done in a fair and equitable manner, quite possibily the rates could be reduced.
    "tax 'em all"
    I cannot believe that the NFL is "non-profit".....who many people even know this ??
    That was my assertion also but Thom Payne brought up an interesting point that may mean this really isn't a tax exemption but a tax liability transfer. Since I'm no CPA, I kind of backed off. We do have a few economic expertise members here, maybe they'll explain it better to us.

  8. #18
    feckless bon vivant

    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,760

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    To me it demonstrates that "non profit" needs to be more narrowly defined.

    You've got that right.
    If an entity is really a "non-profit", there would be no profits to tax.
    Therefore, the "non-profit" status would be pointless.
    What am I not getting here?
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

  9. #19
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,373

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Of course we understand that. Duh!!! Do you understand that we're not debating the current status of the league and/or the laws... and that we're debating whether changes should be made to the status of the league and/or laws?
    I didn't realize that you spoke for everyone else. I suggest that most people don't know that judging from later posts.

    How much exactly do you think you are going to be taxing since the revenue goes mostly to the teams which are for profit?

    Of course, there is no reason to believe that a Senator, who generally favors lower taxes, from Oklahoma, which aspires to have an NFL team, would be interested in this issue.

  10. #20
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    I didn't realize that you spoke for everyone else. I suggest that most people don't know that judging from later posts.

    How much exactly do you think you are going to be taxing since the revenue goes mostly to the teams which are for profit?

    Of course, there is no reason to believe that a Senator, who generally favors lower taxes, from Oklahoma, which aspires to have an NFL team, would be interested in this issue.
    The amount is irrelevant.

    I wouldn't bet money that it will be changed anytime soon. But it is good that the issue is out there and being discussed. If nothing else it will at least give more of the population an idea of exactly what are government does in our name.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •