View Poll Results: Should NFL be required to pay Federal taxes?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (explain)

    46 80.70%
  • No (explain)

    6 10.53%
  • Other (explain)

    5 8.77%
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 159

Thread: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

  1. #91
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Why are some insisting on hammering away at what the current status and laws are? The very premise of the thread acknowledges that. The question is: Should changes be made?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #92
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Yes, I overestimated and gave credit where it wasn't warranted. I'll try to not make that mistake again.
    I think you stated how you felt about the issue. The problem is that how you feel and the reality of the situation are different. I understand that it can be hard to grasp a large institution like the NFL being non-profit but they are.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  3. #93
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Why are some insisting on hammering away at what the current status and laws are? The very premise of the thread acknowledges that. The question is: Should changes be made?
    Taxing the NFL will only serve to reduce the amount of money it can put towards the game. Why tax it?
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  4. #94
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,154

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    It is a for profit business. So it should be taxed just the same as any other.

  5. #95
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    Taxing the NFL will only serve to reduce the amount of money it can put towards the game. Why tax it?
    That argument could be made for any business, non-profit or for-profit.

    Extend it to its logical conclusion, that argument also makes the point for taxing the NFL and not taxing things like humanitarian charities.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #96
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Why are some insisting on hammering away at what the current status and laws are? The very premise of the thread acknowledges that. The question is: Should changes be made?
    Here's the funny part... no one ever mentions the other 73,000 organizations. Why? Because idiots will believe that none of the 9b in profit of NFL teams is taxed. These ignorant people take up the flag declaring billions of dollars being available. After they realize that it's only 200m, and that the NFL admin is a non-profit, they devolve into purely emotional tripe about how the rich should share with everyone and current laws are unjust.

    The whole point of this argument is to rile up ignorant rabble for a good ole money grab, which turns out to be nothing anyway. It's pathetic. It happens every couple years. Most people don't fall for it twice.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 09-24-13 at 08:50 PM.

  7. #97
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    That argument could be made for any business, non-profit or for-profit.

    Extend it to its logical conclusion, that argument also makes the point for taxing the NFL and not taxing things like humanitarian charities.
    Good point. Why do we do it for any business? We merely sap economic potential. Any income being taken home is taxed through income taxes anyways.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  8. #98
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    It is a for profit business. So it should be taxed just the same as any other.
    The NFL org does not make any profit. It spends dues from the teams who do, in fact, pay taxes on their revenue.

  9. #99
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    Good point. Why do we do it for any business? We merely sap economic potential. Any income being taken home is taxed through income taxes anyways.
    I would be more open to a discussion regarding taxes in general, as in tax all or don't tax at all, than I am about the NFL being a non-profit and deserving the exemption when it's clear that the whole point behind professional sports is to make money.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #100
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I would be more open to a discussion regarding taxes in general, as in tax all or don't tax at all, than I am about the NFL being a non-profit and deserving the exemption when it's clear that the whole point behind professional sports is to make money.
    By the law, the NFL is a non-profit because they merely act as a league of the teams who are each individual businesses. For what I think should be done, I don't think business should pay taxes period, including the NFL.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •