View Poll Results: Sentient alien - human marriages okay?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Completely fine.

    12 57.14%
  • Okay if they are citizens of Earth/country

    0 0%
  • Okay if they can procreate with us

    2 9.52%
  • Okay if male/female pairs

    0 0%
  • Not okay at all

    5 23.81%
  • Other

    5 23.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Sentient alien - human marriages?

  1. #1
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Sentient alien - human marriages?

    Okay, so I did ask this in another thread and it seems like a pretty interesting topic to discuss with allusions to how we view marriage.

    So, if we found out that there are sentient aliens out there who come to Earth for whatever reasons, would it be okay for them to marry humans legally and what restrictions would you put on them and why.

    Trekkies can look at as a Vulcan/human marriage. Or perhaps you prefer Alien Nation point of view, where they have no choice but to be here (since they crashed) and have become citizens themselves of our countries.

    Would you insist they be citizens of the country? Would you insist on male/female pairings only? Would you insist they be able to procreate with us? Would you push to make all such relationships illegal?

    And for all those who don't believe in aliens, either put aside your disbelief and pretend, or don't comment. The assumption is stated that there are sentient aliens as part of the thread idea and is necessary for progression of the thread.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Sentient alien - human marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Okay, so I did ask this in another thread and it seems like a pretty interesting topic to discuss with allusions to how we view marriage.

    So, if we found out that there are sentient aliens out there who come to Earth for whatever reasons, would it be okay for them to marry humans legally and what restrictions would you put on them and why.

    Trekkies can look at as a Vulcan/human marriage. Or perhaps you prefer Alien Nation point of view, where they have no choice but to be here (since they crashed) and have become citizens themselves of our countries.

    Would you insist they be citizens of the country? Would you insist on male/female pairings only? Would you insist they be able to procreate with us? Would you push to make all such relationships illegal?

    And for all those who don't believe in aliens, either put aside your disbelief and pretend, or don't comment. The assumption is stated that there are sentient aliens as part of the thread idea and is necessary for progression of the thread.
    Were this day ever to come it would make the current gay marriage debate a foot note in history. I think the issue would go well beyond marriage and be about procreation itself. This would change the human race and create an entirely now species and the genetic implications of this as far as new diseases or syndromes would have to be studied for years. More importantly it would run the risk of creating whole new reasons for prejudice and race superiority issues. I could see riots and even wars over the issue.

  3. #3
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Sentient alien - human marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Were this day ever to come it would make the current gay marriage debate a foot note in history. I think the issue would go well beyond marriage and be about procreation itself. This would change the human race and create an entirely now species and the genetic implications of this as far as new diseases or syndromes would have to be studied for years. More importantly it would run the risk of creating whole new reasons for prejudice and race superiority issues. I could see riots and even wars over the issue.
    I think there are a lot of good scifi stories/movies/shows on this. But the point is your personal view, not what might happen. It gives insight into the same sex marriage debate itself as to how people answer. Where they stand and why they might truly oppose same sex marriage can be viewed from why they would oppose these types of marriages.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #4
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,191

    Re: Sentient alien - human marriages?

    Sure, why not. LOL....

    I mean, Barbara Bush married a reptilian, so fine.



    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Sentient alien - human marriages?

    Going on the assumption that you're talking about human-like aliens. Say elves or vulcans (vulcans are basically the elves of sci-fi).
    No. that's interspecies marriage regardless of how you look at it. Not only should it not be legal, it cannot happen unless forced or if there is weird f-ed up abstraction. I shall explain.

    Your genes are wired to want to procreate, to clone themselves. The way they clone themselves is within a new human being, a baby. So anytime two humans meet, a male and a female, your genes tell you if you should like that human or not, well increase the odds of you liking that human or not.

    basically what this means is that... let's say humans have just 10 genes. If 2 people meet, if your 10 genes, 8 see their copies in that other human being of the opposite sex, they'll say: go make a baby... and if the other 2 genes see another gene, not their copy, in the female, they'll say: bad match buddy, don't do it!. Why? because they'll have to compete with the other genes.
    Now then there are regressive and dominant genes but that's a different story. So... same genes between a man and a woman -> good, go make babies; different genes between a man and a woman -> Don't make babies. Of course, as presented above, 8/10 > 2/10 which is why they'll go make a baby.

    Unless the vulcans have 99% or more of the same genetic material as we do... unless they are 99% human and just 1% or less vulcan, the chances of interspecies procreation is dim from a genetic desire point of view. Why less than 1%? Because within the human species, racial differences can account for 0.2-0.6% of a human genetic code. To put that in perspective, humans and chimps are only 3% apart. Since there is no natural inclination for humans to mate with chimps (diseases like zoophilia not included) then it goes to reason, that anything more than the 0.2-0.6% difference from the human genetic code, we as humans ,will find undesirable as a procreating partner. Let's say 1% for good measure.

    So if more than 1%, we won't need common law to tell us that, natural law will do it for us.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Sentient alien - human marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I think there are a lot of good scifi stories/movies/shows on this. But the point is your personal view, not what might happen. It gives insight into the same sex marriage debate itself as to how people answer. Where they stand and why they might truly oppose same sex marriage can be viewed from why they would oppose these types of marriages.
    It is such a huge question I honestly can't give an immediate opinion on it, I would have to hear all sides and study the issue a very long time if that day ever came. My knee jerk reaction would be not to mix species from other planets but that could change as data came in. Hey I made a joke but only Trekkies will get it.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Sentient alien - human marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Going on the assumption that you're talking about human-like aliens. Say elves or vulcans (vulcans are basically the elves of sci-fi).
    No. that's interspecies marriage regardless of how you look at it. Not only should it not be legal, it cannot happen unless forced or if there is weird f-ed up abstraction. I shall explain.

    Your genes are wired to want to procreate, to clone themselves. The way they clone themselves is within a new human being, a baby. So anytime two humans meet, a male and a female, your genes tell you if you should like that human or not, well increase the odds of you liking that human or not.

    basically what this means is that... let's say humans have just 10 genes. If 2 people meet, if your 10 genes, 8 see their copies in that other human being of the opposite sex, they'll say: go make a baby... and if the other 2 genes see another gene, not their copy, in the female, they'll say: bad match buddy, don't do it!. Why? because they'll have to compete with the other genes.
    Now then there are regressive and dominant genes but that's a different story. So... same genes between a man and a woman -> good, go make babies; different genes between a man and a woman -> Don't make babies. Of course, as presented above, 8/10 > 2/10 which is why they'll go make a baby.

    Unless the vulcans have 99% or more of the same genetic material as we do... unless they are 99% human and just 1% or less vulcan, the chances of interspecies procreation is dim from a genetic desire point of view. Why less than 1%? Because within the human species, racial differences can account for 0.2-0.6% of a human genetic code. To put that in perspective, humans and chimps are only 3% apart. Since there is no natural inclination for humans to mate with chimps (diseases like zoophilia not included) then it goes to reason, that anything more than the 0.2-0.6% difference from the human genetic code, we as humans ,will find undesirable as a procreating partner. Let's say 1% for good measure.

    So if more than 1%, we won't need common law to tell us that, natural law will do it for us.
    This is a philosophical debate not a scientific one.

  8. #8
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Sentient alien - human marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Going on the assumption that you're talking about human-like aliens. Say elves or vulcans (vulcans are basically the elves of sci-fi).
    No. that's interspecies marriage regardless of how you look at it. Not only should it not be legal, it cannot happen unless forced or if there is weird f-ed up abstraction. I shall explain.

    Your genes are wired to want to procreate, to clone themselves. The way they clone themselves is within a new human being, a baby. So anytime two humans meet, a male and a female, your genes tell you if you should like that human or not, well increase the odds of you liking that human or not.

    basically what this means is that... let's say humans have just 10 genes. If 2 people meet, if your 10 genes, 8 see their copies in that other human being of the opposite sex, they'll say: go make a baby... and if the other 2 genes see another gene, not their copy, in the female, they'll say: bad match buddy, don't do it!. Why? because they'll have to compete with the other genes.
    Now then there are regressive and dominant genes but that's a different story. So... same genes between a man and a woman -> good, go make babies; different genes between a man and a woman -> Don't make babies. Of course, as presented above, 8/10 > 2/10 which is why they'll go make a baby.

    Unless the vulcans have 99% or more of the same genetic material as we do... unless they are 99% human and just 1% or less vulcan, the chances of interspecies procreation is dim from a genetic desire point of view. Why less than 1%? Because within the human species, racial differences can account for 0.2-0.6% of a human genetic code. To put that in perspective, humans and chimps are only 3% apart. Since there is no natural inclination for humans to mate with chimps (diseases like zoophilia not included) then it goes to reason, that anything more than the 0.2-0.6% difference from the human genetic code, we as humans ,will find undesirable as a procreating partner. Let's say 1% for good measure.
    That is a horribly scientific view of life. Our genes base attraction on a lot of things. So unless Vulcans truly couldn't stand the smell of humans, or us them, then it is not logical to believe that our "genes" would truly care about what species that sentient life form is. It is sentient life. We could communicate with them (and if there was even a question of marriage, you can bet communication was going on somehow). They are obviously a good deal like us. They may share very few genetic similarities with us at all (although if they look similar, it is very likely that they share a number of genetic similarities), but our genes don't actually know that. Our genes are just what make us, us.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #9
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Sentient alien - human marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    It is such a huge question I honestly can't give an immediate opinion on it, I would have to hear all sides and study the issue a very long time if that day ever came. My knee jerk reaction would be not to mix species from other planets but that could change as data came in. Hey I made a joke but only Trekkies will get it.
    My husband got me into Enterprise. Does this mean you would join Terra Prime or a similar group?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #10
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: Sentient alien - human marriages?

    Not that I think Aliens will ever be a reality, but sure, go ahead. I'm assuming it will be humanoid aliens, since I don't think anyone's interested in someone like Jabba the Hutt lol.

    It's an interesting question, no doubt. I can't immediately see an issue with it.
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •