View Poll Results: Sentient alien - human marriages okay?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Completely fine.

    12 57.14%
  • Okay if they are citizens of Earth/country

    0 0%
  • Okay if they can procreate with us

    2 9.52%
  • Okay if male/female pairs

    0 0%
  • Not okay at all

    5 23.81%
  • Other

    5 23.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Sentient alien - human marriages?

  1. #11
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Sentient alien - human marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Not only should it not be legal, it cannot happen unless forced or if there is weird f-ed up abstraction.
    Right, because people who have a thing for having sex with animals are ... forcing themselves?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Your genes are wired to want to procreate, to clone themselves. The way they clone themselves is within a new human being, a baby.
    We defy that programming all the time -- like couples who decide not to have kids.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Sentient alien - human marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    My husband got me into Enterprise. Does this mean you would join Terra Prime or a similar group?
    LMAO, you really are a Trekie!

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Sentient alien - human marriages?

    I'll remain opposed to it until I find a female alien whose titties produced beer.

    That I'd marry in a heartbeat.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Sentient alien - human marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    That is a horribly scientific view of life. Our genes base attraction on a lot of things. So unless Vulcans truly couldn't stand the smell of humans, or us them, then it is not logical to believe that our "genes" would truly care about what species that sentient life form is. It is sentient life. We could communicate with them (and if there was even a question of marriage, you can bet communication was going on somehow). They are obviously a good deal like us. They may share very few genetic similarities with us at all (although if they look similar, it is very likely that they share a number of genetic similarities), but our genes don't actually know that. Our genes are just what make us, us.
    Sentient life is fine and dandy, but it's based on complex genetics.

    Did you ever get that tingling feeling when looking at someone that you two would be great together? Those are your genes "speaking". Your subconscious processes everything you observe in a person, even if your conscious mind can't analyze everything or doesn't get, the 90% of your brain that works behind the curtains does.

    Now of course. Genes aren't the be all end all of the complex set of rules that make us who we are and make us behave the way we do and feel what we do and think what we do. But if we do start getting into all those things we won't finish till next easter.

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    This is a philosophical debate not a scientific one.
    Well you made in the Polls section.

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Right, because people who have a thing for having sex with animals are ... forcing themselves?

    We defy that programming all the time -- like couples who decide not to have kids.
    Of course.
    It's like the Parkinsons' gene or Huntings or whatever other genetic diseases people have. Just because you have that gene, doesn't mean it will ever trigger or that it will control your life.

    As I said just above: Genes aren't the be all end all of the complex set of rules that make us who we are and make us behave the way we do and feel what we do and think what we do

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Sentient alien - human marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'll remain opposed to it until I find a female alien whose titties produced beer.

    That I'd marry in a heartbeat.
    We have humans who's stomach produces beer, get one of those.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Sentient alien - human marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    We have humans who's stomach produces beer, get one of those.
    It's not as much fun to suck on a woman's stomach.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Sentient alien - human marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Okay, so I did ask this in another thread and it seems like a pretty interesting topic to discuss with allusions to how we view marriage.

    So, if we found out that there are sentient aliens out there who come to Earth for whatever reasons, would it be okay for them to marry humans legally and what restrictions would you put on them and why.

    Trekkies can look at as a Vulcan/human marriage. Or perhaps you prefer Alien Nation point of view, where they have no choice but to be here (since they crashed) and have become citizens themselves of our countries.

    Would you insist they be citizens of the country? Would you insist on male/female pairings only? Would you insist they be able to procreate with us? Would you push to make all such relationships illegal?

    And for all those who don't believe in aliens, either put aside your disbelief and pretend, or don't comment. The assumption is stated that there are sentient aliens as part of the thread idea and is necessary for progression of the thread.
    Last time it resulted in offspring who ate everything in site and started to eat humans.

    So I would say no.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Sentient alien - human marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    It's not as much fun to suck on a woman's stomach.
    That's debatable.

  9. #19
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Sentient alien - human marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    It's like the Parkinsons' gene or Huntings or whatever other genetic diseases people have. Just because you have that gene, doesn't mean it will ever trigger or that it will control your life.

    As I said just above: Genes aren't the be all end all of the complex set of rules that make us who we are and make us behave the way we do and feel what we do and think what we do
    That's reasonable, but that's also a very different position than the one you took earlier. Just saying.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  10. #20
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,572

    Re: Sentient alien - human marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Okay, so I did ask this in another thread and it seems like a pretty interesting topic to discuss with allusions to how we view marriage.

    So, if we found out that there are sentient aliens out there who come to Earth for whatever reasons, would it be okay for them to marry humans legally and what restrictions would you put on them and why.

    Trekkies can look at as a Vulcan/human marriage. Or perhaps you prefer Alien Nation point of view, where they have no choice but to be here (since they crashed) and have become citizens themselves of our countries.

    Would you insist they be citizens of the country? Would you insist on male/female pairings only? Would you insist they be able to procreate with us? Would you push to make all such relationships illegal?

    And for all those who don't believe in aliens, either put aside your disbelief and pretend, or don't comment. The assumption is stated that there are sentient aliens as part of the thread idea and is necessary for progression of the thread.
    Hell no, marriage was designed to be between two HUMANS, anything else would be redefining it! If we start marrying aliens what's next? Marrying nebulas?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •