View Poll Results: How many hours should the base of "Full Time" employment be?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • 30 Hours

    6 10.91%
  • 35 Hours

    6 10.91%
  • 40 Hours

    34 61.82%
  • Other

    9 16.36%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 112

Thread: Thirty Hours = "Full Time"?

  1. #51
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Re: Thirty Hours = "Full Time"?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Given that the law was passed without a majority of public support, and with a party line vote, I'd say blame the idiots up in congress that exempted itself and its cronies from its effects. Help your boss and the business that supports your lifestyle succeed and you will also succeed has been my philosophy.
    I would have believed that once, and that's why I think Republicans were so successful for so many years as the party of business. There was once a time when you would work at the same company for 35 years with decent pay and retire with a pension. If you did it would naturally be in your self-interest to help your company politically. Nowadays such a thing hardly exists: people hop from company to company, are responsible for their own retirement plan and sometimes health plan, are working harder for not much money, and have seen the gap between the rich and the rest of us hugely expanded. And that's all if you're lucky to have a job. Workers do not owe their companies as much as they used to because they have marginalized us.
    "Obamacare delenda est"

  2. #52
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,336

    Re: Thirty Hours = "Full Time"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So talking with my dad tonight I actually heard something for the first time. Not sure how I missed it in previous readings of things (to be honest, Obamacare hasn't been one of those things I've been able to generate enough interest to look extremely heavily into, so that may be why) but he told me how one of the things his business is facing is the fact that...at least under the definitions of the ACA....30 hours of work is considered a Full Time Employee.

    What?

    Seriously, for as long as I've lived on this earth...even as a younger child...I understood that standard "Full time" was generally a "40 hour" work week minimum. That's definitely been my understanding for my entire working age. How in the world is it that we're randomly deciding that 30 hours is "full time" employment?

    Do you agree with equating a 30 hour work week to "Full Time" employment?
    Greetings, zyphlin.

    The 40-hour work week has been the standard for as long as I can remember. Many of us worked more hours than that, and depending upon whether or not you were "exempt," you earned overtime pay. If you were exempt, you basically just "donated" the time you worked over the 40-hour week. Why the change to a 30-hour work week now? That used to be considered part-time. If you still work 40-hours a week, will you continue to be paid your previous wages? :

  3. #53
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Thirty Hours = "Full Time"?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Yes, it does
    20 - 30 hr week? Only a person who hasn't worked for an hourly wage that is barely sufficient to pay for basic living expenses at 40 hours would say something so ignorant. Ignorant of the added stress and associated health risks that the lower standard would bring about.

  4. #54
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Thirty Hours = "Full Time"?

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    I would have believed that once, and that's why I think Republicans were so successful for so many years as the party of business. There was once a time when you would work at the same company for 35 years with decent pay and retire with a pension. If you did it would naturally be in your self-interest to help your company politically. Nowadays such a thing hardly exists: people hop from company to company, are responsible for their own retirement plan and sometimes health plan, are working harder for not much money, and have seen the gap between the rich and the rest of us hugely expanded. And that's all if you're lucky to have a job. Workers do not owe their companies as much as they used to because they have marginalized us.
    And all of this has come to pass under ever expanding government, yet you think more intervention will somehow help?

  5. #55
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Thirty Hours = "Full Time"?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    20 - 30 hr week? Only a person who hasn't worked for an hourly wage that is barely sufficient to pay for basic living expenses at 40 hours would say something so ignorant. Ignorant of the added stress and associated health risks that the lower standard would bring about.
    Giving people who work 20-30 hours/wk health insurance does not cause any added stress and associated health risks
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #56
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Thirty Hours = "Full Time"?

    Please help with constructing a poll.
    I am just not that good on compouter, never got in until too late.
    How do I make a poll with how people like their ice cold BEER, in Bottles or in Can?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So talking with my dad tonight I actually heard something for the first time. Not sure how I missed it in previous readings of things (to be honest, Obamacare hasn't been one of those things I've been able to generate enough interest to look extremely heavily into, so that may be why) but he told me how one of the things his business is facing is the fact that...at least under the definitions of the ACA....30 hours of work is considered a Full Time Employee.

    What?

    Seriously, for as long as I've lived on this earth...even as a younger child...I understood that standard "Full time" was generally a "40 hour" work week minimum. That's definitely been my understanding for my entire working age. How in the world is it that we're randomly deciding that 30 hours is "full time" employment?

    Do you agree with equating a 30 hour work week to "Full Time" employment?

  7. #57
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Thirty Hours = "Full Time"?

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    I would have believed that once, and that's why I think Republicans were so successful for so many years as the party of business. There was once a time when you would work at the same company for 35 years with decent pay and retire with a pension. If you did it would naturally be in your self-interest to help your company politically. Nowadays such a thing hardly exists: people hop from company to company, are responsible for their own retirement plan and sometimes health plan, are working harder for not much money, and have seen the gap between the rich and the rest of us hugely expanded. And that's all if you're lucky to have a job. Workers do not owe their companies as much as they used to because they have marginalized us.
    Chicken and egg question.

    Without a doubt some companies did marginalize workers, but workers also demanded more money for less work and no loyalty to the company.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  8. #58
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Re: Thirty Hours = "Full Time"?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    And all of this has come to pass under ever expanding government, yet you think more intervention will somehow help?
    No, it did not come with an expanding government. It started under Reagan's deregulation and it worsened with the advent of industrial globalization and outsourcing. That is the root of this evil. Until we fix that imbalance between our economy and world-wide free trade, Obamacare and other services will just be a bandaid. But having a bandaid is better than not.
    "Obamacare delenda est"

  9. #59
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Thirty Hours = "Full Time"?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    20 - 30 hr week? Only a person who hasn't worked for an hourly wage that is barely sufficient to pay for basic living expenses at 40 hours would say something so ignorant. Ignorant of the added stress and associated health risks that the lower standard would bring about.
    I'm guessing the "something so ignorant" that was said was said by me; as that was what Sangha said he understood. Other than that clarification, your post makes no sense.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #60
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Re: Thirty Hours = "Full Time"?

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    Chicken and egg question.

    Without a doubt some companies did marginalize workers, but workers also demanded more money for less work and no loyalty to the company.
    Yes, and obviously I'm generalizing because some companies are very good to their employees and in turn create better morale. But like Bill O'Reilly so elegantly put it in this economy, in his experience if you don't like how your company's treating you, you can quit and find another job.
    "Obamacare delenda est"

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •