View Poll Results: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to abort his baby?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but only during the first 20 weeks, same as a woman.

    3 2.97%
  • Yes, but only during the initial period when a non-invasive technique works.

    0 0%
  • No, but he should have the right to be legally relieved of all responsibility.

    50 49.50%
  • NO! Only the woman has this right and he remains responsible.

    21 20.79%
  • I oppose all abortion, so neither have the right.

    22 21.78%
  • I Don't Know.

    5 4.95%
Page 84 of 150 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast
Results 831 to 840 of 1494

Thread: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

  1. #831
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,147

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    He doesn't pay for the child. Both parents pay for the child.
    One of whom is a non-consenting party?

    Again, why do you think women should be able to give up a child and not men?

    The laws requiring parents to support their child are not "enslavement"

    The fact that your argument requires so many distortions of fact proves how wrong your position is
    Sure is if it's non-consensual.

    What distortion? I'm comparing equal situations, here. What women can do, which for some reason men cannot, and which is post-birth, thus having no reliance on biology.

    Will you address the hypocrisy in what rights you think women have versus men?

  2. #832
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    One of whom is a non-consenting party?
    financial support for a child is something that is required of both parents. Neither can refuse consent to that responsibility

    Again, why do you think women should be able to give up a child and not men?
    Men have just as much right to give up their child as a woman does



    Sure is if it's non-consensual.
    Consent has nothing to do with child support. Both parents are required to support their child whether they give consent or not.


    What distortion? I'm comparing equal situations, here. What women can do, which for some reason men cannot, and which is post-birth, thus having no reliance on biology.
    Men and women are treated equally under the law

    Both men and women can have consensual sex

    Both men and women can use contraceptives

    Both men and women can have abortions

    Both men and women are responsible for supporting their children

    Will you address the hypocrisy in what rights you think women have versus men?
    There is no hypocrisy. Men and women have the same rights
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #833
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,147

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    financial support for a child is something that is required of both parents. Neither can refuse consent to that responsibility

    Men have just as much right to give up their child as a woman does

    Consent has nothing to do with child support. Both parents are required to support their child whether they give consent or not.

    Men and women are treated equally under the law

    Both men and women can have consensual sex

    Both men and women can use contraceptives

    Both men and women can have abortions

    Both men and women are responsible for supporting their children

    There is no hypocrisy. Men and women have the same rights
    No, they do not. Women can give up a child. Men cannot.

    Not only can men not give up a child, but they don't even get to consent to that child being here to begin with.

    Not that they should have that as a right -- that's biology, not law, and it doesn't have to be fair. But the fact that he doesn't even decide that makes it even more insane that a woman can essentially dictate his entire life without any consent to the situation at all.

  4. #834
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    No, they do not. Women can give up a child. Men cannot.
    Men can give up their child too.

    Not only can men not give up a child, but they don't even get to consent to that child being here to begin with.
    Men have just as much right to give up their child.

    Some men will never get to own a Porsche.

    Not that they should have that as a right -- that's biology, not law, and it doesn't have to be fair. But the fact that he doesn't even decide that makes it even more insane that a woman can essentially dictate his entire life without any consent to the situation at all.
    A woman cannot dictate a man's entire life

    Your argument depends on lies because it is false.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #835
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,497

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    You've confused me by your response to Cephus. Why do you think the concern is only financial? When there is an unwanted pregnancy one of two situations will result: either the man agrees to marry the woman and try to asssume full parental responsibility, or he rejects marriage and is compelled by law to assume financial responsibilities.

    In the first case, where the male is unhappy and only "doing what's right" when he marries the woman; he will resent his position and act out in various ways while he remains tied to the marriage and family scenario. Whether this scenario ends in divorce or not, his attitude while married often results in spousal abuse (intiated by either the man or the woman), child physical and/or emotional abuse, and all sorts of other horrors. If he divorces and tries to start a family with a woman he does "love" this creates further issues, both for his new family and the old one.

    In the second case, even though he tries to avoid further contact he is bound by his child support duties. Thus he is often challenged by the mother in court as the child ages and costs increase. Meanwhile he has to continue to deal with her as she argues, cajoles, negotiates, rants, demands, etc.

    Then there is the child, who naturally wants to know more about the father. Often the mother's anger is reflected in how she instructs the child about why the father wants nothing to do with it. This leads to many emotional issues with the child. We always hear stories of a child seeking out and trying to confront the father at some later time. Finally, all the issues mentioned about a divorced male starting a new family apply to the father who never stuck with the original woman and child. Now any family he tries to start has to deal with these issues too.

    All of this because the woman has an "out" but the man does not.
    CA, as stated late yesterday, I said I would respond to your post...and I'd like to begin with the following.

    I responded to Cephus' post, which was....

    Cephus: But that has nothing whatsoever to do with what I'm saying. If you are going to allow women an out of an unwanted pregnancy, you have to also allow men an out. To do anything else is unfair and unequal. Why is this so hard to understand?
    My response was....

    Removable mind: That's not hard to understand at all. You're only speaking from a financial obligation standpoint. It's a hell of a lot more complicated than that.
    First let me point out that you've taken the response I made to Cephus by restating it as “I” think that the only concern is financial. Then, you created a few imitations of life scenarios…which don't really fit with the exchange between Cephus and me.

    In essences....if you carefully re-read both Cephus' post and my reply:

    I think that you misread my reply to Cephus. My response does not at all show me saying that “I” believe it’s only a financial obligation. In fact, I stated that Cephus was only speaking from a financial standpoint…and that it is a hell of alot more complicated than that.

    That said…do we need to move on with this exchange?

  6. #836
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    If the right to property means the government should not be able to build a highway through your farmland separating the house, barn and buildings from the farming land. I hear ya loud and clear. That happened to my grandparents farm in the 1930s.

    The barn and creamery were on one side of the state hi way and the grazing land for the dairy cattle were on the other side.

    Unless there is a court restraint order I don't know why a person would not be able to associate with another person or a group .

    That is all I have to say on that subject on this tread.

    This thread is about the topic of abortion not people's rights.
    not to associate, , means i dont have to deal with other people in say.... commerce i can refuse their business.

  7. #837
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I can't even believe people are bringing this up because they are selfish and concerned only with "their" rights and screw the child. There are a lot of SICK people in the world. That's why men like this should have a contract in their pocket and have the women they want to sleep with read it. This way the woman, if she's smart, would avoid this man like the plague and NOT have sex with him to begin with.
    Except that the government doesn't respect those kind of contracts.

  8. #838
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Penderyn View Post
    It certainly isn't part of a man's.
    I never said it was.

    If it is in and totally dependent upon a woman's body it is her business, and well you know it.
    It's also the father's buisness.

    You are just making noises because, ultimately, you clearly believe in slavery. Mind your own business.
    Matters of public policy are every voter's buisness.

  9. #839
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Your sexual behavior is not a good model for others.
    The proof is in the pudding. No unwanted pregnancies in 8 years of abstinentce; add 4 years for the tubal ligation and my being loyal to my wife and not cheating on her.

  10. #840
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The proof is in the pudding. No unwanted pregnancies in 8 years of abstinentce; add 4 years for the tubal ligation and my being loyal to my wife and not cheating on her.
    And six children, at least for of them were unplanned.

    There are crack whores with better histories.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •