View Poll Results: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to abort his baby?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but only during the first 20 weeks, same as a woman.

    3 2.97%
  • Yes, but only during the initial period when a non-invasive technique works.

    0 0%
  • No, but he should have the right to be legally relieved of all responsibility.

    50 49.50%
  • NO! Only the woman has this right and he remains responsible.

    21 20.79%
  • I oppose all abortion, so neither have the right.

    22 21.78%
  • I Don't Know.

    5 4.95%
Page 6 of 150 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 1494

Thread: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

  1. #51
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Well, the reason I said 90 days is because I am pro-choice in the first trimester. After 3 1/2 to 4 months, the risks become greater and we're dealing with a lot more ethical dilemmas. I don't think a guy needs 3 months to know if he's going to want to be a dad. I'd be willing to bet that most guys would know if they want to be a dad before the end of SportsCenter. Barring that, 7 days is enough thinking. It's just the woman's responsibility to inform as early as possible.
    I disagree with the underlined.
    Some guys may need more than 90 days.
    90 days is appropriate and fair.

    It shouldn't mater when she tells him, only that he has a set amount of time to decide after being told.
    Last edited by Excon; 09-13-13 at 09:35 PM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #52
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    They do, but on this issue, since the woman has all the rights, I believe the primary responsibility lies on her shoulders. People want to have it both ways, and have their cake and eat it too. This is one of those issues where men can really get screwed, and have no say in the matter whatsoever.

    I realize that being a woman, I'm "supposed" to look at this from a woman's point of view, but before I am a woman, I am a human, and I can see that men really are at a disadvantage on this issue. Since women neglect to protect themselves from unwanted pregnancies, I encourage men to take care of the birth control issue themselves, but that's because it is the intelligent thing to do.
    It's just a philosophical discussion and I didn't expect you to take the side of women just because you are a woman. I feel that women have a responsibility but that they also carry a greater share of the burden.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I think guys have got to remember something. The child is an innocent consequence. The child doesn't deserve to suffer because a woman was careless or a man (or woman) lied. A mother is NEVER going to be able to give away her child's right to child support. Never-ever.
    That is the current thinking that needs to change to keep pace with the right of choice. Which it hasn't.
    A woman should not be able to obligate another by her choice to give birth. That is just wrong.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  4. #54
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,957

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    And I love you right back.

    Women lie. Women are nesters. They often, even subconsciously, want children with the man they love. "I'm on birth control." Don't believe it. Don't believe she's taking her medication correctly. The way the laws are now (and they're not going to change the way some in the post would like to see them change any time soon), the burden is on the one who doesn't want children. Don't want kids? Use protection. Yeah, sometimes it fails. But not as often as whiney men and women would lead us to believe.

    I think guys have got to remember something. The child is an innocent consequence. The child doesn't deserve to suffer because a woman was careless or a man (or woman) lied. A mother is NEVER going to be able to give away her child's right to child support. Never-ever.
    I was speaking of a man's birth control... either a condom or a vasectomy.

    And there is no child if she aborts...

    ... and many women give away their child's right to child support. I know quite a few woman that did not ask for nor receive support from the man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #55
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,565
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I hope I was clear that what I was saying was that a man should never believe a woman who says she's on birth control if he doesn't want children. A child should NEVER suffer the consequences of irresponsible sex. Should never be raised in poverty by a single, unsupported mom. And especially not because the GUY wanted her to have an abortion.

    That's just me. Maybe I'm old-fashioned. BUT the law's on my side. And, realistically, it's not changing any time soon. A woman CANNOT give up a child's legal right to support.
    That's an impassioned argument, but one that prompts exactly the sort of foolish, desperately unthinking action that young man did in the thread about tricking a girl with a morning after pill. The woman is always in control, it's her body and her possible burden.

    If you are pro-choice then a woman should realize that perhaps it's better not to have a child than to have it grow up resented and abused. If you are Pro-Life then perhaps you should be arguing more strongly for women learning to require birth control methods and not accept any excuses otherwise.

    P.S. I just saw the response you gave Bodhisattva. Forgive me for only focusing on the second part of your response. I agree, men should be more careful. But it may sound like a cop-out but it is true nonetheless...when it comes to sex (especially in the minds of young, hypersexual males) the ONLY thing doing the thinking in a sexual situation is the head that has no brains.
    Last edited by Captain Adverse; 09-13-13 at 09:28 PM.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    10-27-13 @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I don't think a man should get to make the choice, but I do think that if he wants the baby aborted, and does not plan to be involved in its life, that he should have no legal obligation to the mother if she decides to have it. Afaic, she has the choice, she should be legally responsible.
    A man has no right to decide what happens in a woman's body..

  7. #57
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,957

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    That's an impassioned argument, but one that prompts exactly the sort of foolish, desperately unthinking action that young man did in the thread about tricking a girl with a morning after pill.

    If you are pro-choice then a woman should realize that perhaps it's better not to have a child than to have it grow up resented and abused. If you are Pro-Life then perhaps you should be arguing more strongly for women learning to require birth control methods and not accept any excuses otherwise.
    I never though about a man being able to opt out until in around 1998 when I had a female friend who prowled the bars looking for the right guy to get pregnant with. She lied to him and had no intention of ever staying with him. Once she found out she was pregnant she dumped him and hit him up for child support. It was disgusting. Some say that they guy is stuck. That is bull****.

    What I don't get (Well, I do) is the double standard. Women fought for and won equality in many areas, and rightly so. Then Roe v Wade and abortion, and rightly so. But they then turn around and after they **** the guy they want to **** the guy all over again in Court. It is bull****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #58
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    There is a natural order. In this natural order, it is the woman who decides whether or not to bear a child, because it is her body that produces the child, and then she offers that child to a man-- preferably her husband-- for his approval. And then, it is the man who decides whether or not he will keep the child, because it is his family name that the child will bear. And as an expression of this natural order, either the man or the woman may choose not to keep the child and leave it to its own devices, because it is the duty and the prerogative of a family to choose the members of its family.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,957

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    A man has no right to decide what happens in a woman's body..
    She didn't say that he should...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    A man has no right to decide what happens in a woman's body..
    So you're saying that if he wants to pull out, she has the right to trump him? It's in her body, after all.

Page 6 of 150 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •