View Poll Results: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to abort his baby?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but only during the first 20 weeks, same as a woman.

    3 2.97%
  • Yes, but only during the initial period when a non-invasive technique works.

    0 0%
  • No, but he should have the right to be legally relieved of all responsibility.

    50 49.50%
  • NO! Only the woman has this right and he remains responsible.

    21 20.79%
  • I oppose all abortion, so neither have the right.

    22 21.78%
  • I Don't Know.

    5 4.95%
Page 35 of 150 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 1494

Thread: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

  1. #341
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post

    It became his burden when he got her pregnant. He didn't have to do that. That is when he got to choose.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    Wrong. It was her body which she has full control over. She decided what she would allow into her and what she would not. She is solely responsible from that stand point.
    I don't know who you've been with, but it is you who is wrong. Barring cases of rape, sex is a mutually consensual choice. He equally chooses to put in her what she chooses to have put in her. Both make the choice. Both are responsible. The woman inherently gets additional choices after the fact because she is the one who gets pregnant.

    And again, if the man doesn't want the burden, he had his chance to back out of the deal.

  2. #342
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    I don't know who you've been with, but it is you who is wrong. Barring cases of rape, sex is a mutually consensual choice. He equally chooses to put in her what she chooses to have put in her. Both make the choice. Both are responsible. The woman inherently gets additional choices after the fact because she is the one who gets pregnant.
    He can not put anything into her without her approval.
    She is solely responsible for that choice.
    Which is irrelevant as we are past that point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    And again, if the man doesn't want the burden, he had his chance to back out of the deal.
    Only if we give him the same choice she has and not let her burden him with her choice.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  3. #343
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,140

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    That is great you know that.
    Nor should they be able to burden another individual with their choice.
    So you should be able to **** anyone with impunity?

    (If you're a straight man of course. Gays and women can't)

    Should a man be able to force a woman to carry the child to term if he chooses that? I'm sorry that you have uterus envy, and therefore have "less rights" than a woman. The fact is that only women can get pregnant and they are the only ones who can get an abortion as a result. You can't have everything.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  4. #344
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Agreed, entirely. That fact informs my view. Whereas people who support the status quo on child support AND abortion believe that sex is consent to create offspring for only the man, I disagree and realize that it is consent to create offspring for both parties (unless one is sterile - in which case, it's a moot point).



    Nothing is foolproof, and some people are just reckless.



    Well it's probably best to get certain things clear before you do the deed, as it were. I don't know about drafting formal papers, but whatever floats other folks' respective boats.
    I ALWAYS had a formal consent agreement prior to sex and it was recorded (audio). The words had been drafted up by an attorney. My wife and I have a nearly 40 page sworn, signed statement of purpose and legal contract in precise detail. It is not a pre-nup in the nornal sense. Talking thru it was extremely beneficial and has come in handy many times. However, I realized not 1 in 1000 people do so.

    Prior to marriage, as for the prospect of condom failure, my stance was simple. It her choice whether to have the child or not. I would prefer she would not if it happened and would pay for the abortion if so. However, if she had the child, I would take not only fully legal responsibility but full parenting responsibility, would marry her if she wished and try to make the absolute best of it - knowing it likely a marriage made in hell - and would otherwise be as much involved in the child's life as possible.

    YET NONE of that was my "CONSENTING TO HAVE A CHILD" because I was having sex with her. Nor was do I document her consenting to having a child by me. I was documenting her consent to sex, nothing more.

  5. #345
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I have never said sex is consent to having offspring. Never said it. Never implied it. What I have stated is obvious:

    Neither the man or woman can force the other to undergo any medical procedure of any kind. Neither can prevent the other from having any medical procedure. Both are economically liable for any child they make. There is no double standard whatsoever.

    Now... we come to the question of whether you are 1.) pro-life or 2.) just a man who wants power over women. IF you are pro-life, then you would totally oppose a man being able to economically extort a woman to try to pressure her into an abortion. If you are instead pro-abortion if it saves the man money, then you will agree than a man can get out of economic liability for his own children if he fails to extort the woman into an abortion.

    Which are you? Anti-abortion? Or pro-abortion if it saves men $$ about their own children?

    A true "pro-lifer" would oppose anything and everything that might lead to abortions. A TRUE pro-lifer would NOT support men being given the ability to punish both the woman and child if she doesn't abort.
    In reference to pro life/pro choice, I believe I fall somewhere in between because I would be pro life in theory if I thought it was at all feasible in today's times. I would never want to subject a child to a life of torture and abuse because he/she was born of a parent who did not want the child. THAT is the only reason why I accept the fact that there are abortions at all.

    Even if there was a 100% effective way to prevent a pregnancy, the people who did NOT use it and got pregnant anyways are just demonstrating their irresponsibility. It is like a necessary evil IMO.

  6. #346
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,140

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Only if we give him the same choice she has and not let her burden him with her choice.
    A man has every right to abort any child they are pregnant with.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #347
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,784

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    1.)Just a reminder. Very few abortions take place at or after 20 weeks gestation.
    2.)20 weeks gestation a regular D & E can no longer be performed because the skull is too large to fit through the undialted cervix .
    Therefore only a highly skilled, specially trained doctor is allowed to legally perform abortions past the 20 week mark.
    The fetus needs to be given a lethal injection then the doctor insets sticks with medication into the cervix to help the cervix dialate which may take a few days before the fetus can be removed and the abortion completed.
    1.) yep you are correct it very rare no matter what some people whould have us think
    2.) yep you are correct, I think we actually exchanged articles on this when a poster here said his wife had a D&E due to fetus death and we informed him that his wife then in fact had an abortion.


    thanks mini. its still where i would like to see the line drawn but has i have stated before id everything else was the same id be willing to go down to 18weeks, just not my pick
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #348
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I have never said sex is consent to having offspring. Never said it. Never implied it.
    No. You have said the opposite. Which is what I was talking about...

    What I have stated is obvious:

    Neither the man or woman can force the other to undergo any medical procedure of any kind. Neither can prevent the other from having any medical procedure. Both are economically liable for any child they make. There is no double standard whatsoever.
    Yes, there is currently a double standard. A man has to pay child support for a born kid but pregnancy and giving birth are expensive. A loving partner already provides socially and economically for his offspring from the moment it is known they have conceived, but at the minimum a father should be responsible for half of the costs of his offspring before and after birth.

    Currently, that is not the case. That IS a double standard. Joint creation, unilateral responsibility.



    Now... we come to the question of whether you are 1.) pro-life or 2.) just a man who wants power over women.
    Are you asking about me? I'm "pro-life" (anti-abortion).

    IF you are pro-life, then you would totally oppose a man being able to economically extort a woman to try to pressure her into an abortion. If you are instead pro-abortion if it saves the man money, then you will agree than a man can get out of economic liability for his own children if he fails to extort the woman into an abortion.
    I don't disagree with the premise of child support - that someone should be held financially responsible for the needs of the offspring that one creates, on the basis that both partners consented to the type of sex that creates offspring and surprise, guess what, it created offspring, big shocker.


    I don't support the status quo on abortion; the status quo on child support needs reform as outlined above.

    HOWEVER, for folks like yourself who tell me that sex is not consent to create new human beings (which you have), if you then turn around and tell me that you support the status quo on child support (which you just did), then such a position is nakedly hypocritical.

    The basis for holding a man financially responsible for kids he did not wish to create is the fact that he did in fact create them and he did consent to the sex. Without that basis, you have no logical support for the practice.
    Last edited by JayDubya; 09-14-13 at 03:19 PM.

  9. #349
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    He can not put anything into her without her approval.
    And she can't put him inside her without his approval. Who know why you can't comprehend that it's a mutual consensual choice? Regardless, it is. Both make the choice. Both are responsible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    She is solely responsible for that choice.
    So is the guy. He knows the consequences for putting it in and he's making the choice to do so anyway. If she gets pregnant, he bears the responsibility for his choices.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    Which is irrelevant as we are past that point.
    Don't worry, I'll let you know when you get to decide when I am past a point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Only if we give him the same choice she has and not let her burden him with her choice.
    Which will be the case when he carries a fetus.

  10. #350
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    So you should be able to **** anyone with impunity?

    (If you're a straight man of course. Gays and women can't)

    Should a man be able to force a woman to carry the child to term if he chooses that? I'm sorry that you have uterus envy, and therefore have "less rights" than a woman. The fact is that only women can get pregnant and they are the only ones who can get an abortion as a result. You can't have everything.
    That was funny.
    Obviously you haven't followed along as your second question had been already answered previously.

    Your first question makes it appear as you do not know what impunity means.
    exemption from punishment or freedom from the injurious consequences of an action.
    Of course people should be able to have consensual sex with impunity.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •