View Poll Results: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to abort his baby?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but only during the first 20 weeks, same as a woman.

    3 2.97%
  • Yes, but only during the initial period when a non-invasive technique works.

    0 0%
  • No, but he should have the right to be legally relieved of all responsibility.

    50 49.50%
  • NO! Only the woman has this right and he remains responsible.

    21 20.79%
  • I oppose all abortion, so neither have the right.

    22 21.78%
  • I Don't Know.

    5 4.95%
Page 23 of 150 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 1494

Thread: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

  1. #221
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    well if a woman has an unlimited ability to abort the pregnancy even if the man is willing to pay for the the child, the man ought to have a right to opt out of that financial burden
    But the reason for that is because the woman has to deal with a "procedure" on her body no matter what choice is made. The man does not have that burden. Either the child birth or an abortion can have negative consequences, so it is the woman who takes the risk. The only responsibility the man bears is a financial one, if he doesn't want to be involved in that child's life.

    I wish there was a way that the man could have more say in the matter. I would suggest that perhaps people discuss these things before they have sex, but then again what a mood killer THAT would be.

  2. #222
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,947

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    The she has to decide what to do. As I said, it's entirely her choice.

    edit: if she's that moralistic regarding having babies and being pregnant, it's not very likely that she is going to be getting pregnant in the first place, unless she's either stupid, or negligent with her own body.
    Currently there is birth control method that is 100 percent effective when having consental sex.

    Accidental pregnancies can and do happen.
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  3. #223
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Should a man have an absolute right to have his baby aborted?

    In the alternative, should he be granted relief from all legal responsibility if it is his clearly stated wish to abort but the woman decides not to?

    Let me preface my remarks with this disclaimer; I am Pro-Choice and I support a woman’s absolute right to choose to have an abortion for several reasons, including the fact it is the woman who must endure the pregnancy to carry the child to term, and then follows the lifelong responsibility to raise and care for any child born.

    The dilemma occurs when the woman unilaterally decides to have the baby, even when the male does not wish to accept that long-term responsibility.

    In a recent news report, a young man was so desperate not to have a child that he tricked his girlfriend into taking a morning after pill. Now I do not support or condone this action, but it does bring up the thesis issue for me…why does the male partner have no say in a decision to keep the baby?

    When a woman makes the unilateral decision to keep the baby this then compels lifelong legal and emotional obligations on the part of the unwilling father. This creates resentment and recriminations in both parties. By attempting to force the man to marry and/or support both her and the child this only serves to create a negative environment for all concerned, especially for any child to grow up in.

    Since we now have a simple method of aborting in the early stages of the first trimester, without needing an invasive surgery, why should the absolute choice to keep the baby reside with the mother? If it does, why can’t the man be legally relieved of further responsibility to both parties?

    I have offered several voting options, please pick and then explain what do you think? I am especially interested in arguments for why the woman has the sole right to keep the child while making the man permanently responsible.
    Given the fact that he was also quite aware of the consequences of his decision, I would say that he probably had no business having sex if he was not prepared for the resultant responsibility.

  4. #224
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,947

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    I oppose abortion in principle and want it restricted but it is legal without limits federally. And as long as it is legal without restrictions, men should have the option to abort their financial responsibility which would accomplish the equivalent to a woman aborting the physical pregnancy.
    In the USA abortion is not legal without limits.
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  5. #225
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,947

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    I have been pretty clear. I advocate for restrictions once a child is viable. Viability actually can restrict abortion, maybe, even up to the 23 week......

    But that isn't the law of the land. The law of the land says that a woman can abort up until delivery. And in this legal reality, men should be given the choice too.
    If you live the USA than abortion is restricted by the states at viability.
    Currently the limit of viability ( where 50 percent of the premies will survive) is 24 weeks gestation and that has remained unchanged for the last 12 years.

    Less than .1 percent of all legal abortions occur after viability.
    They are the extreme cases. The cases were the woman's life or irreparable damage to a major bodily function would take place if the pregnancy continued, where the fetus would be stillborn or would only live a few minutes or hours.

    There are only 4 doctors left in the USA who perform legal abortions after viability.
    In 2008 there were 5.

    Dr Tiller also used to perform abortions after viability in these extreme cases.
    Kansas was one of a small handful of states that would allow abortions after viability in these extreme cases.
    Kansas keep records of all abortions at or the after 22 week gestation mark. 24 weeks is the limit of viability.

    OB/GYNs from all the USA would send their patients who had these problem pregnancies to Dr. Tiller.

    In 2008 there were 323 abortions that took place at or after 22 weeks gestation.

    192 of those cases were because the fetus was not viable. It would be stillborn or it was so malformed it would only live a few minutes or hours.

    131 of those cases were because there would be irreparable damage to a major bodily function if the pregnancy were allowed to continue.

    They were extreme cases.
    Last edited by minnie616; 09-14-13 at 10:13 AM.
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  6. #226
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Wow! This poll is a window into the soul of our society. Having the majority believe that the most important objective is to relieve one self from the natural consequence and the responsibility for an act that they freely engaged in is telling. with the truly defenseless and innocent paying the price. God help us all!

  7. #227
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,947

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    Currently there is birth control method that is 100 percent effective when having consental sex.

    Accidental pregnancies can and do happen.
    Correction ...I should no method is 100 percent effective.
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  8. #228
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    If you live the USA than abortion is restricted by the states at viability.
    Currently the limit of viability ( where 50 percent of the premies will survive) is 24 weeks gestation and that has remained unchanged for the last 12 years.

    Less than .1 percent of all legal abortions occur after viability.
    They are the extreme cases. The cases were the woman's life or irreparable damage to a major bodily function would take place if the pregnancy continued, where the fetus would be stillborn or would only live a few minutes or hours.

    There are only 4 doctors left in the USA who perform legal abortions after viability.
    In 2008 there were 5.

    Dr Tiller also used to perform abortions after viability in these extreme cases.
    Kansas was one of a small handful of states that would allow abortions after viability in these extreme cases.
    Kansas keep records of all abortions at or the after 22 week gestation mark. 24 weeks is the limit of viability.

    OB/GYNs from all the USA would send their patients who had these problem pregnancies to Dr. Tiller.

    In 2008 there were 323 abortions that took place at or after 22 weeks gestation.

    192 of those cases were because the fetus was not viable. It would be stillborn or it was so malformed it would only live a few minutes or hours.

    132 of those cases were because there would be irreparable damage to a major bodily function if the pregnancy were allowed to continue.

    They were extreme cases.
    "Viability" is somewhat subjective and is a bit of false line. A fetus is never an appendage, they are a separate but dependent life within the womb.

  9. #229
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,576

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    Correction ...I should no method is 100 percent effective.
    Abstinence.

    Abstinence
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #230
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Should a man have an absolute right to have his baby aborted?


    In the alternative, should he be granted relief from all legal responsibility if it is his clearly stated wish to abort but the woman decides not to?

    Let me preface my remarks with this disclaimer; I am Pro-Choice and I support a woman’s absolute right to choose to have an abortion for several reasons, including the fact it is the woman who must endure the pregnancy to carry the child to term, and then follows the lifelong responsibility to raise and care for any child born.

    The dilemma occurs when the woman unilaterally decides to have the baby, even when the male does not wish to accept that long-term responsibility.

    In a recent news report, a young man was so desperate not to have a child that he tricked his girlfriend into taking a morning after pill. Now I do not support or condone this action, but it does bring up the thesis issue for me…why does the male partner have no say in a decision to keep the baby?





    When a woman makes the unilateral decision to keep the baby this then compels lifelong legal and emotional obligations on the part of the unwilling father. This creates resentment and recriminations in both parties. By attempting to force the man to marry and/or support both her and the child this only serves to create a negative environment for all concerned, especially for any child to grow up in.

    Since we now have a simple method of aborting in the early stages of the first trimester, without needing an invasive surgery, why should the absolute choice to keep the baby reside with the mother? If it does, why can’t the man be legally relieved of further responsibility to both parties?

    I have offered several voting options, please pick and then explain what do you think? I am especially interested in arguments for why the woman has the sole right to keep the child while making the man permanently responsible.



    When men start giving birth, I would support giving them the same control over their bodies that women have now.

    Anyone who doesn't want to be responsible for babies should stop having sex with women who can have babies.

    Pretty simple, eh?

    And the only 100% effective way that I know of to avoid making babies.

    If you play the game, be prepared to win and lose.




    "Condoms aren't completely safe. A friend of mine was wearing one and got hit by a bus." ~ Bob Rubin
    Last edited by shrubnose; 09-14-13 at 10:28 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •