View Poll Results: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to abort his baby?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but only during the first 20 weeks, same as a woman.

    3 2.97%
  • Yes, but only during the initial period when a non-invasive technique works.

    0 0%
  • No, but he should have the right to be legally relieved of all responsibility.

    50 49.50%
  • NO! Only the woman has this right and he remains responsible.

    21 20.79%
  • I oppose all abortion, so neither have the right.

    22 21.78%
  • I Don't Know.

    5 4.95%
Page 126 of 150 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1494

Thread: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

  1. #1251
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    They clearly do not. This is a blatant misrepresentation of the facts.
    They clearly do. Your position is without merit because it depends on the fiction that a man has no choice but to have a child

    We all know that is not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #1252
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Let me ask a question, then, for all you people who argue a man should be responsible for the children he created: if a father and a mother are getting divorced, and the issue of paternity comes up, should the man be exempted from child support for children that a DNA tests concludes are not related to him by blood? Let's say he's been raising them for years and the issue of paternity never came up before the divorce.
    Different issue - different thread
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #1253
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    They clearly do. Your position is without merit because it depends on the fiction that a man has no choice but to have a child
    It is not a fiction. When a woman becomes pregnant, she has several options and several opportunities to avoid parenthood. A man does not have any of these options.

    Your position is sexist, and as a pro-choicer, hypocritical.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Different issue - different thread
    No, it is not a different issue. You assert that a man's responsibility to "his" child is based on the fact that he helped "create" the child, and that it is just to force a man to support a child he does not want-- that he never wanted-- on that basis alone. In the United States, the majority of States automatically assume that the husband in a married couple is the father of all of the products of the union and hold him responsible for their support regardless of DNA evidence to the contrary.

    If the basis of a man's responsibility for child support is biological paternity, do you consider this law to be fair and just?

  4. #1254
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    It is not a fiction. When a woman becomes pregnant, she has several options and several opportunities to avoid parenthood. A man does not have any of these options.
    It is a fiction. Men have the absolute power to not have children.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #1255
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It is a fiction. Men have the absolute power to not have children.
    The exact same power women had before abortion was legalized.

  6. #1256
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    After the child is born, yes. After the child is claimed by him, no. I do not consider DNA to be morally relevant; he does not become a father until she offers him the child and he accepts. His willingness to pay child support does not entitle him to claim the child against her will, as he did not produce the child.
    So in your opinion she can declare the bio-father has no rights towards the child upon birth without exception?

    In general, you have rare views on these topics. Does anyone else agree with that?

  7. #1257
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,281

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    You know what guys, if you don't want to have a baby with a woman, don't have sex with her. A lot of men like to argue that women should live by that standard, so maybe they should take it upon themselves. Unless you want to get her pregnant, keep your pants on. And by having sex with her, you implicitly agree to raise the child that comes of it, because that's the natural consequence.

    Right?
    Does the woman agree to that if she has sex with a man?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #1258
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,497

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Because there is no legal solution to create an equal choice...we clearly see that having a unilateral choice by either party creates conflicting interests. If neither man or woman want to choose a solution involving abstinence or sterilization. Perhaps a legal contractual solution for sexual relationships might level the playing field.

    But that would sure mess up those spontaneous wild nights of fun and frolic known as a one night stand.

  9. #1259
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,535

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    You know what guys, if you don't want to have a baby with a woman, don't have sex with her. A lot of men like to argue that women should live by that standard, so maybe they should take it upon themselves. Unless you want to get her pregnant, keep your pants on. And by having sex with her, you implicitly agree to raise the child that comes of it, because that's the natural consequence.

    Right?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Illustration of what I said earlier:

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Yeah, it's the thing which makes the most rabid supporters of abortion rights sound like moralizing Bible-thumpers: "If you didn't want to have a kid, you should have . . . "
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  10. #1260
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    No, the woman in this instance has chosen to raise a child. A choice the man was never afforded.
    That's not what you said. You said women don't pay child support, which is ludicrous. But I don't blame you know for trying to change your argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    On the contrary, I have yet to see anyone argue in favor of a post-birth abrogation of responsibility assuming he knew of the child.
    Now ya have ...

    "Yes. A firm backdrop. He gets 90 days firm from the point he is notified to make his choice. Even if she has already given birth. " ~ Excon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •