View Poll Results: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to abort his baby?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but only during the first 20 weeks, same as a woman.

    3 2.97%
  • Yes, but only during the initial period when a non-invasive technique works.

    0 0%
  • No, but he should have the right to be legally relieved of all responsibility.

    50 49.50%
  • NO! Only the woman has this right and he remains responsible.

    21 20.79%
  • I oppose all abortion, so neither have the right.

    22 21.78%
  • I Don't Know.

    5 4.95%
Page 106 of 150 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1494

Thread: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

  1. #1051
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    That's what it is that blows my mind about women who can't accept that they are solely responsible for their own bodies, and for what happens to their bodies (absent a case of rape or forced incest). They want the freedom and the choice, but they don't want to make sure that they are protected against unwanted pregnancy, not to mention the other risks they are taking with unprotected sex. This is junior high school grade knowledge here.
    Regardless of how you personally feel about it, it happens all the time. Women are not solely responsible for a sex act because it takes two people. Simple really. Without the contribution of the male, no pregnancy would occur so you are just plain wrong. I'm starting to wonder if you ever had sex education because this is basic biology. It takes two, and both are responsible for their actions. Condoms are available for men, and they need to start using them. They can also get diseases and make babies. The ONLY difference is that the woman incubates the child as it develops. That's IT.

  2. #1052
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Regardless of how you personally feel about it, it happens all the time. Women are not solely responsible for a sex act because it takes two people. Simple really. Without the contribution of the male, no pregnancy would occur so you are just plain wrong. I'm starting to wonder if you ever had sex education because this is basic biology. It takes two, and both are responsible for their actions. Condoms are available for men, and they need to start using them. They can also get diseases and make babies. The ONLY difference is that the woman incubates the child as it develops. That's IT.
    I didn't say two people aren't responsible for a sex act. I said she should be responsible for protecting herself. You and I are not going to see eye to eye on this issue. I think the woman is responsible for what happens to her body. You don't. And ne'r the twain shall meet.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #1053
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I didn't say two people aren't responsible for a sex act. I said she should be responsible for protecting herself. You and I are not going to see eye to eye on this issue. I think the woman is responsible for what happens to her body. You don't. And ne'r the twain shall meet.
    I never said she wasn't responsible. That is where you are wrong. I said he is just as responsible for his body and bodily fluids as she is. BIG difference.

    Goodness lizzie, this is below you, you even bolded the part where I stated that women are not SOLELY responsible for a pregnancy, and now you try to play it off as if I said they are NOT responsible. That is dishonest, and I'm surprised.

  4. #1054
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I never said she wasn't responsible. That is where you are wrong. I said he is just as responsible for his body and bodily fluids as she is. BIG difference.

    Goodness lizzie, this is below you, you even bolded the part where I stated that women are not SOLELY responsible for a pregnancy, and now you try to play it off as if I said they are NOT responsible. That is dishonest, and I'm surprised.
    I am not being dishonest at all. The thread is about pregnancy and aborting, and fathers' rights. The bodily fluids thing is just a side issue, as unprotected sex can have other negative outcomes besides pregnancy. My point (and I will say it again) is that since the woman is the one whose body is changed, and she has the sole decision-making power, the primary responsibility lies with her.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #1055
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I am not being dishonest at all. The thread is about pregnancy and aborting, and fathers' rights. The bodily fluids thing is just a side issue, as unprotected sex can have other negative outcomes besides pregnancy. My point (and I will say it again) is that since the woman is the one whose body is changed, and she has the sole decision-making power, the primary responsibility lies with her.
    No, if a man does NOT want to have a child, then his sole responsibility is also to himself. No one here is more responsible. Both create the child and both are equally responsible for protecting themselves if they don't want children. That's all there is to it.

    The dishonest part is insinuating that I stated the woman is "not" responsible, when I would never ever said anything so stupid.

  6. #1056
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,553
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    CA...it's not about my concern for child welfare. There is a biological disparity that can't be overridden.
    There is a biological disparity, the person with the greatest risk is the woman which is why it is incumbent on her to be both extremely cautious and responsible when it comes to her own body. This is exactly what Lizzie and Smoke&Mirrors are talking about. The risk of pregnancy is borne by the woman, therefore she has the greater responsibility to prevent a pregnancy from occurring.

    However, some members seem to think that just by depositing sperm the male has somehow agreed to have a baby result. Nothing could be further from the truth as exemplified by the fact that even when the male WANTS the baby, the woman can simply say “NO, it’s my body and I don’t want one.”

    I guess one way to look at the disparity is myopically, i.e. once a male deposits his sperm he is agreeing that whatever happens the choice is solely the woman’s from that point on. Well, some of us don't quite agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    All of the "dysfunctional family stories", sad as some might be...it is impossible employ a public policy to coerce a woman into reacting to a conception based on someone else beliefs on when and when they should not reproduce.
    Where is the coercion? The woman can still have the baby. The woman can still choose not to have the baby. The only coercion I see is that imposed upon the unwilling male, who literally has no choice.

    It is possible to develop a “public policy” creating an equitable solution which empowers the female to accept responsibility for her choice to have a baby, while releasing the male who never wanted marriage and family from the get-go. As possible as all the “public policy” subsequently created after Roe v. Wade in support of a woman’s right to choose.

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    You have yet to outline just a simple version of what such a public policy's language would look like and how it would be enforced.
    That’s because this is a hypothetical discussion including a public poll to see what kind of support the idea has. It’s not something I’ve been considering legal action on for years and years. It is merely something that has come to mind from time to time in relation to Pro-Choice; and a recent incident in the news prompted me to bring it up in the forum.

    I’m not writing an actual bill, I’m simply sounding out my peers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    I've seen nothing but this way of controlling through coercion via a public policy as you call it. Since it's still not possible to create...
    I’ve already addressed the possibility. We are not legislators engaged in discussing legislation. We are citizens gathered in a forum discussing issues of interest and concern. It is a “debate” on a particular area of the abortion issue.

    I’m interested in hearing what people think. I’m arguing for my position just as you are for yours. The poll (which does not count pro-life votes because they are committed to absolute opposition, hence assume both parties MUST have a child) is to see how many people think the idea is a good one and how many think it is a bad one and why.
    Last edited by Captain Adverse; 09-17-13 at 06:26 PM.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  7. #1057
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    No, if a man does NOT want to have a child, then his sole responsibility is also to himself. No one here is more responsible. Both create the child and both are equally responsible for protecting themselves if they don't want children. That's all there is to it.

    The dishonest part is insinuating that I stated the woman is "not" responsible, when I would never ever said anything so stupid.
    What part of "primary" do you not get? And when is a woman not solely responsible for her own body? A man is responsible for his own body, just as she is for hers. If I have sex with someone, he is not responsible for me in the least. It is a voluntary act on my part.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #1058
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    What part of "primary" do you not get? And when is a woman not solely responsible for her own body? A man is responsible for his own body, just as she is for hers. If I have sex with someone, he is not responsible for me in the least. It is a voluntary act on my part.
    Who is responsible for a child?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  9. #1059
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Who is responsible for a child?
    I guess it depends on who you ask. In my case, it was me.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #1060
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Should a Man have an Absolute Right to Choose to Abort His Baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I guess it depends on who you ask. In my case, it was me.
    The only problem is that under most State laws the responsibility is forcibly a shared one where the man has no "choice"...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •