View Poll Results: Loving/hating a black President

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 80.00%
  • No

    6 17.14%
  • Maybe

    1 2.86%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 104

Thread: Loving/hating a black President

  1. #61
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    Voted yes - who cares what color he is? Seriously, who? Well, I mean beyond those who care because he's the same color as they are - but notwithstanding those people - who cares what color he is? Well, and I mean beyond those who cater to those who care he's the same color as they are - but notwithstanding those people too - who cares what color he is?
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  2. #62
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,928

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    <putting on flame-retardant suit... radcen knows the mere asking of the question will be inconvenient and off-putting to some... ok, there>

    Is it just as bad to like/support a President because he's black as it is bad to dislike/not support a President because he's black?
    I couldn't care less about a President's race or gender, only about his or her values and goals. That's why I didn't vote for Obama twice. He's on the wrong side of every issue I think is critical. And I was concerned about his lack of experience. That question has now been answered. The concern hasn't been put to rest, of course, but this President is arrogant, naive, and incompetent.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I would disagree.

    I voted for Sen. Obama because I believed he was the best candidate with the right agenda for the country coming into the 2008 presidency. It is unfortunate, however, that he's had to deal with so many problematic issues that I don't believe any President has had to deal with since FDR. (Frankly, I think the only reason the country really hasn't bounced back fully is because the opposition hasn't been forced to decide which side of the social/moral issues they truly support, or to put it bluntly "the wealth-class and corporate America or the people-at-large". But I'll save that for another debate where I can articulate my views better and in more detail. As for the point of the thread...)

    Certainly I recognized that Sen. Obama was Black, but I believed him to be the most "credible and qualified" Black candidate to come along in a long time since Shirly Chisholm (1972 Democratic Party Nominee)...still do. (Can't stand Jesse Jackson, Sr. but between Chisholm and Obama, that's all most African Americans had to identify with as a "viable" presidential candidate.) So, yes, I support this President. And yes, I think he's made some mistakes. But in the grand scheme of things I give him credit where credit is do and am not too quick to jump on him if "change" or improvements in the overall state of domestic issues doesn't come quickly enough or exactly the way I'd like them to be.

    I'm wise enough to know that the President is only the "image" for the country and sets the country's agenda throughout his term. Congress represents the people. And, thus, there is always a "process" to invoke change. And sometimes that process is very slooooow...more often than not it's made that way on purpose due to all sorts of political wrangling that sometimes purposefully bogs down the wheels of progression.
    What are you disagreeing with me on?

  4. #64
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,355

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    My point was your comment about my comment. With more life experience you wouldn't have quoted me out of context. You might have understood what I was trying to say instead of trying to make your point misusing my words.
    I didn't quote you at all. I don't get what water fountains have to do with elections, but I am 76. I rermember a lot of things.

    I didn't vote for Obama because I did not like his ideas. I will make my vote in the next election based on ideas and believeabiity.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    <putting on flame-retardant suit... radcen knows the mere asking of the question will be inconvenient and off-putting to some... ok, there>

    Is it just as bad to like/support a President because he's black as it is bad to dislike/not support a President because he's black?
    The correct answer to that is "no," and if you answered "yes," you are wrong.

    There is nothing wrong with being proud of a black president, given the history of our country. It shows how far we have come. There is nothing wrong with wanting the first black president to succeed.

    If you dislike the prez just because he is black, yes you are a racist.

    To totally different and non-equatable scenarios.

  6. #66
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I didn't quote you at all. I don't get what water fountains have to do with elections, but I am 76. I rermember a lot of things.

    I didn't vote for Obama because I did not like his ideas. I will make my vote in the next election based on ideas and believeabiity.
    Ah, Jimbo, I see the confusion. I was "talking" to Dapper Andy, not you. So, we're confused. S'all good.

    I bet you do, being 6 years older than me.

  7. #67
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    The correct answer to that is "no," and if you answered "yes," you are wrong.

    There is nothing wrong with being proud of a black president, given the history of our country. It shows how far we have come. There is nothing wrong with wanting the first black president to succeed.

    If you dislike the prez just because he is black, yes you are a racist.

    To totally different and non-equatable scenarios.
    What if I dislike him because of his ideology? What if I dislike him because of his policies? What if I dislike him because he dislikes this nation and the principles on which it was founded?

    I answered "Yes" because I could care less what color he is - and there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with caring less what color he is. Moreover, if you answered "NO" because you DO care what color he is - that'd be abjectly racist.
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  8. #68
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    The correct answer to that is "no," and if you answered "yes," you are wrong.

    There is nothing wrong with being proud of a black president, given the history of our country. It shows how far we have come. There is nothing wrong with wanting the first black president to succeed.

    If you dislike the prez just because he is black, yes you are a racist.

    To totally different and non-equatable scenarios.
    You are clearly unqualified to assess the correct answer, as you are clearly unable to even discern the question.

    There is nothing wrong with being proud of a black President. There is nothing wrong with wanting a black President to succeed. Those are points from the middle. Those are points that virtually anyone who votes for or against any candidate based on qualifications or issues would want in their country's leader. Those are points that even a person who voted against a candidate, and is concerned with the well-being of their country first, would want from their President.

    Then, you go on to ignore... willfully, IMO... one of the extremes, which is the point of the original question, and highlight only the other extreme and point out that disliking a candidate just because he is black would be wrong. Ok, but can you, or will you, answer the other side of the question: Is it wrong to like a President just because he is black?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #69
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Those damn immigrant dogs. Can't trust 'em. Never appreciate anything. We're still in short sleeved shirts down here, but it'll be in the upper 40's tonight. My kind of weather. The garden was a disaster this year, so I'm anxious to move on. I'm skipping a fall garden entirely and preparing for next year's effort. Grackles moved through here later than usual, and ate nearly all the raspberries in 24 hours - they're like locust. Deer ate the eggplant, a lot of the pepper and tomato blooms, and just about everything else they could. Looks like I'll be eating Bambi this winter as payback. I'm thinking about a few peregrine falcons or coopers hawks to take care of the Grackles. This is war.
    I had peaches left on the trees that I didn't use, so I was going to pick them and take them to our local Haven of Rest charity, who feed meals to hungry people every day. When I went to pick them, there were none there. Huh? My neighbor called me that evening to tell me she and her mom watched from her kitchen window while a family of deer ate every peach right off the tree! I can't guess out what they did with the pits! I figure maybe they used to live in your area, and saw how easy it was to *spit*? : Anyway, I don't really mind, cause I can send money to the charity...and our neighborhood protects those deer like family members. We put food out for them in the Winter, and they keep the fruit that falls to the ground cleaned up, and hunting is not allowed in our area, so they're fat and happy!

    My garden was a disaster this year, too. I think it drowned with all the rain we had! I did get some asparagus this Spring, and lots of green peppers, Italian parsley and cabbage in the past few weeks, and a few tomatoes are still ripening, but that's it, except for the blackberries, and they are producing like crazy! Broccoli bolted from one day to the next, so that was a loss. Oh well, there's always next year to pit our wits against the 4-legged critters and the birds!

  10. #70
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    To be completely honest of my black friends and relatives I can't think of any who "love" him because he's black. Most are "proud" that there is a black president. Out of a sense of pride they want him to be successful as Jews might be proud if a son of Holocaust survivors were to become Chancellor of Germany one day in consideration of their unique history coupled with seeing the country that once persecuted them has changed so much that although still a minority group elected a Jew to its highest office. I do not think however that race alone swayed their vote since I'm not aware of any whatsoever who supported Al Sharpton for President when he ran. If they voted for Obama, and some did not although they're still proud of the history that was made, they would have voted for any democrat nominee for President.

    Of my white friends I can't think of any who "hate" him. Some like him due to his liberal policies, not race. Some don't support him due to his liberal policies. Most who dislike him especially with high levels of passion where there's absolutely nothing they can appreciate about him and if there is something they could appreciate, they'd change their position just to oppose him, I get the sense do so out of team loyalty to the current pundit driven conservative culture in America. I really don't know anybody personally who I think loves or hates Obama because of race.

    Do I know people who have pride in America and for their black heritage because of his race? Yes, but nothing that swayed their vote or they would have also voted for Al Sharpton and Alan Keyes. I do have many white friends who THINK blacks voted for him just because of race and I have many black friends who THINK conservatives hate him because he's black. I think there are those who do love or hate him because of race, but I think they are few in number.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •