View Poll Results: Loving/hating a black President

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 80.00%
  • No

    6 17.14%
  • Maybe

    1 2.86%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 104

Thread: Loving/hating a black President

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    Quote Originally Posted by Penderyn View Post
    What do you weirdoes mean by 'race'? I find the whole concept totally baffling.
    Are you trying to be cute with your ad-hom? You failed, just FYI.

  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    I disagree.

    I think there are very few people, if any, who dislike Pres. Obama because he's black whereas there seems to be plenty of people who like him for that reason. I don't see much difference between the two but I suppose most liberal positions come with a double standard.
    I would disagree.

    I voted for Sen. Obama because I believed he was the best candidate with the right agenda for the country coming into the 2008 presidency. It is unfortunate, however, that he's had to deal with so many problematic issues that I don't believe any President has had to deal with since FDR. (Frankly, I think the only reason the country really hasn't bounced back fully is because the opposition hasn't been forced to decide which side of the social/moral issues they truly support, or to put it bluntly "the wealth-class and corporate America or the people-at-large". But I'll save that for another debate where I can articulate my views better and in more detail. As for the point of the thread...)

    Certainly I recognized that Sen. Obama was Black, but I believed him to be the most "credible and qualified" Black candidate to come along in a long time since Shirly Chisholm (1972 Democratic Party Nominee)...still do. (Can't stand Jesse Jackson, Sr. but between Chisholm and Obama, that's all most African Americans had to identify with as a "viable" presidential candidate.) So, yes, I support this President. And yes, I think he's made some mistakes. But in the grand scheme of things I give him credit where credit is do and am not too quick to jump on him if "change" or improvements in the overall state of domestic issues doesn't come quickly enough or exactly the way I'd like them to be.

    I'm wise enough to know that the President is only the "image" for the country and sets the country's agenda throughout his term. Congress represents the people. And, thus, there is always a "process" to invoke change. And sometimes that process is very slooooow...more often than not it's made that way on purpose due to all sorts of political wrangling that sometimes purposefully bogs down the wheels of progression.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 09-13-13 at 01:58 PM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,363

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Typical con strawman. If that were true, wouldn't Hermann Cain be President? Why does the right have a hard on for Dr. Carson? He doesn't say anything white guys don't say.

    Democrats like Democrats and Republicans like Republicans. They both hate the other side. It usually has nothing to do with race.
    Who has a hard on for Carson and Cain? Not I. Both are self made men who represent much of what I believe in.

  4. #34
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,357

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    So if one doesn't love something or someone, it naturally follows that hate is the only other option.
    There is always total disinterest to consider.. At least hate is showing an emotion, unhealthy though it may be for the hater, while disinterest implies one is not worth one second of another's time, which can be devastatingly insulting to most people, IMO.

    Good morning, humbolt.

  5. #35
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,198

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Unfortunately, more people voted for him because he was black than people who voted against him because he was.

    It's basically the only explanation for voting for a man that was a United States Senator for about 37 minutes. I don't think it was a coincidence that he was black. McCain's resume made Obama's look like a fry cook.

    I don't consider race to be a factor, but that's also due to high intelligence - something many Democrats cannot boast about. Lot of Republicans too, but that's immaterial here.
    In the primaries maybe, though I'm not sure. In the general I think it was more that he ran a much better campaign then McCain and was a Democrat in a very anti-Republican year.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Love President West or Cain or Connie Rice.

    Am tepid on President Colin Powell

    Hate President Obama

    What does color have to do with anything.
    In your case based on your input above, race doesn't have anything to do with it. Your party affilliation does.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  7. #37
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    In your case based on your input above, race doesn't have anything to do with it. Your party affilliation does.
    That's the point. If Obama believed in limited government, fiscal responsibility, individual responsibility and promoting growth in the private sector, I'd go to Washington and kiss his ring. That however is the opposite of what he promotes.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    In the primaries maybe, though I'm not sure. In the general I think it was more that he ran a much better campaign then McCain and was a Democrat in a very anti-Republican year.
    Have we become that stupid in our recent past? Clinton was a two-term Democrat who did great overall, and the president after him was a two-term Republican. Irrational fear and hatred didn't seem to be a factor 15 years ago.

  9. #39
    Professor
    Penderyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK, Cymru mostly.
    Last Seen
    05-03-17 @ 09:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,618

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Are you trying to be cute with your ad-hom? You failed, just FYI.
    What does that drivel mean? Stick to beer, kiddo.

  10. #40
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,267

    Re: Loving/hating a black President

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    There is always total disinterest to consider.. At least hate is showing an emotion, unhealthy though it may be for the hater, while disinterest implies one is not worth one second of another's time, which can be devastatingly insulting to most people, IMO.

    Good morning, humbolt.
    Good afternoon to you, too. Excellent point. The idea that if not one, then the other must apply is nothing more than trolling when emotions are considered. We have a full range - those of us who remain emotionally stable. I've just been reading here today for the most part. Not much new, really, so not much to say. I'm bored, and considering actually going to work. It's finally cooling off here. That's exciting.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •