View Poll Results: Would You Support Legislation that Would Ban Burning/Destroying the Quran?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    4 4.44%
  • No

    84 93.33%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    2 2.22%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 69

Thread: Would You Support Legislation that Would Ban Burning/Destroying the Quran?

  1. #41
    Educator Starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    881

    Re: Would You Support Legislation that Would Ban Burning/Destroying the Quran?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    You mean that horribly insulting movie that the Obama admin blamed the events in Benghazi on?
    Considering the content of the movie and the intended audience, I wouldn't go so far as to say it wasn't a contributing factor in that (or any attack). Plenty of protests popped up the following weeks, where the protestors directly referenced the movie.

    Sure, I see it as a dumb reason to get mad, protest or attack anything, but I'm a big atheist.

    The Irish were doing similar things back in the day, car bombing civilians and what not. . . all over religions nonsense.

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Sometimes it feels like our relationship with the Middle East is like being married to an abusive spouse. We walk on eggshells hoping not to set them off then blame ourselves when we get hit.
    Considering that we've started two major wars in the past decade, I'd say we aren't really doing very good at walking on egg shells.

  2. #42
    Professor
    Dirt Racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    02-19-16 @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,747

    Re: Would You Support Legislation that Would Ban Burning/Destroying the Quran?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    I'll burn the Quran if I want, I'll burn the Bible if i want, i'll burn the american flag if I want. That simple.
    That's your choice! How would you feel if your burning the Quran resulted in confirmed killings of our troops. Those idiots over there are looking for any reason to justify their actions. Most times they don't even need a reason. I am not prepared to give them a reason over a book being burned. If we are going to give them a reason , let it be from attacking the radicals that cause the problems.

  3. #43
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Would You Support Legislation that Would Ban Burning/Destroying the Quran?

    I could not support the banning of burning of any book or document... just as I could not support the banning of any book or document.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #44
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: Would You Support Legislation that Would Ban Burning/Destroying the Quran?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Racer View Post
    Just as I would not discourage peaceful Muslim's from visiting our country or Buddhist's from giving out vaccines, no I would not discourage Christian's from visiting foreign lands.

    I would however discourage anyone from burning the Christian Bible or any other religious book.
    You know that upsets Muslim jihadi's too and leads to attacks on US citizens and soldiers too. But that you don't want to discourage, but free speech you do want to discourage. Sounds hypocritical to me.

  5. #45
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: Would You Support Legislation that Would Ban Burning/Destroying the Quran?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Racer View Post
    That's your choice! How would you feel if your burning the Quran resulted in confirmed killings of our troops. Those idiots over there are looking for any reason to justify their actions. Most times they don't even need a reason. I am not prepared to give them a reason over a book being burned. If we are going to give them a reason , let it be from attacking the radicals that cause the problems.
    So whatever they say goes?

  6. #46
    Professor
    Dirt Racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    02-19-16 @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,747

    Re: Would You Support Legislation that Would Ban Burning/Destroying the Quran?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artevelde View Post
    You know that upsets Muslim jihadi's too and leads to attacks on US citizens and soldiers too. But that you don't want to discourage, but free speech you do want to discourage. Sounds hypocritical to me.
    I do understand that. But it does not give credit to their cause when people are giving aid. Burning their holy book, in their eyes and their sympathizers eyes justifies their outrage.

  7. #47
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: Would You Support Legislation that Would Ban Burning/Destroying the Quran?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Racer View Post
    I do understand that. But it does not give credit to their cause when people are giving aid. Burning their holy book, in their eyes and their sympathizers eyes justifies their outrage.


    In their eyes and in those of their sympathizers Western aid, missionaries, vaccination campaigns, etc. are every bit as outrageous and unacceptable as burning the koran.

  8. #48
    Professor
    Dirt Racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    02-19-16 @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,747

    Re: Would You Support Legislation that Would Ban Burning/Destroying the Quran?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artevelde View Post
    So whatever they say goes?

    Not saying that at all. I am saying if we can discourage people from intentionally or unintentionally putting our troops further into harms way let's try to do it. Either that or pull our people from those areas so they are not being killed over a book. Our troops have done a lot of good in those regions working with the civilians and people in power. Lets try to build on that instead of having a pissing match over a book!

  9. #49
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: Would You Support Legislation that Would Ban Burning/Destroying the Quran?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Racer View Post
    Not saying that at all. I am saying if we can discourage people from intentionally or unintentionally putting our troops further into harms way let's try to do it. Either that or pull our people from those areas so they are not being killed over a book. Our troops have done a lot of good in those regions working with the civilians and people in power. Lets try to build on that instead of having a pissing match over a book!
    I'm sorry, but you are advocating caving in to people who hate everything about our Western values and society and who will continue to kill Western soldiers (and others) until they have eradicated us. The idea you can somehow appease them is ludicrous.

  10. #50
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Would You Support Legislation that Would Ban Burning/Destroying the Quran?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Racer View Post
    Not saying that at all. I am saying if we can discourage people from intentionally or unintentionally putting our troops further into harms way let's try to do it. Either that or pull our people from those areas so they are not being killed over a book. Our troops have done a lot of good in those regions working with the civilians and people in power. Lets try to build on that instead of having a pissing match over a book!
    It's not just a pissing match over "a book", it's the very foundation of who we are and what we want OUR society to be like. (Just as they would say the same thing, I'm sure.)
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •