View Poll Results: Who will look more ridiculous?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kerry

    7 31.82%
  • Obama

    15 68.18%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 78 of 78

Thread: Who Will Look More Ridiculous?

  1. #71
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,347

    Re: Who Will Look More Ridiculous?

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    It does sound like of combination of things I dare not consider. I know what she meant, but I do believe she's strayed into territory in which few venture. Frankenstein probably had one of 'em.
    It's been suggested since by JH that she probably meant "patootie," but I haven't heard that word in so long it never occurred to me! Being curious by nature, I just had to look it up in the dictionary, and when it wasn't listed there, I called our County Library to see if it was something new that my older dictionary just didn't have listed. Nope, I was told, there is no such word. Morale of the story...don't believe everything you read if you aren't prepared to spend time you don't have to follow up! Sheesh! :

  2. #72
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,128

    Re: Who Will Look More Ridiculous?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I'd say Kerry's gaff will turn out to be a smart bold suggestion

    See, you can't have it both ways. Intention is everything. They walked it back. You yourself just said it was a gaff. Fumbling about, falling ass backward into success in spite of yourself shows neither strength nor leadership.

    To frame it as such is nothing more than




    But there are fools who'll believe it...

  3. #73
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,264

    Re: Who Will Look More Ridiculous?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    It's been suggested since by JH that she probably meant "patootie," but I haven't heard that word in so long it never occurred to me! Being curious by nature, I just had to look it up in the dictionary, and when it wasn't listed there, I called our County Library to see if it was something new that my older dictionary just didn't have listed. Nope, I was told, there is no such word. Morale of the story...don't believe everything you read if you aren't prepared to spend time you don't have to follow up! Sheesh! :
    JH is correct. I was just having a little fun with it. I, too, haven't heard the word in a very long time.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Who Will Look More Ridiculous?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I have a military mindset in that I blame the person in charge, regardless of who actually screwed something up. The NSA scandals, Benghazi, Syria, etc. All of these things happened in his organization under his watch, and because of that I place the blame squarely on his shoulders.

    A good leader takes responsibility for his organization, so yes, Kerry will look like a jackass (as usual), but ultimately Obama was his superior officer who blessed off the decision.
    I agree. He is appointed his cabinet members and he is responsible for all foreign policy.

  5. #75
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,864

    Re: Who Will Look More Ridiculous?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Vesper, why do...and I'm using "do" instead of "did" because I fear this isn't the end of our meddling... they want more chaos in the ME than there already is? Who benefits from this?
    Polgara if I stated that I understood this administration's thinking on this, I would be lying. It makes no sense to me. Instead of threatening to bomb the country it would have been nice for this administration to announce a big humanitarian effort for the refugees that have fled Syria. When someone flees to another country, it isn't that easy to get protection or aid. Many of these folks are anti-American. It would be an excellent time to show them kindness in their time of need. Our military could be dropping food and supplies into these refugee camps And I mean do it personally and not by having Congress pass a bill allowing funds to be sent to countries like Turkey or Jordan to provide assistance. The people never find out it was U.S. tax dollars that supplied for their needs. By being visible on the scene, I believe it would go a long way in changing the hearts and minds who tend to hate us.

  6. #76
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,347

    Re: Who Will Look More Ridiculous?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Polgara if I stated that I understood this administration's thinking on this, I would be lying. It makes no sense to me. Instead of threatening to bomb the country it would have been nice for this administration to announce a big humanitarian effort for the refugees that have fled Syria. When someone flees to another country, it isn't that easy to get protection or aid. Many of these folks are anti-American. It would be an excellent time to show them kindness in their time of need. Our military could be dropping food and supplies into these refugee camps And I mean do it personally and not by having Congress pass a bill allowing funds to be sent to countries like Turkey or Jordan to provide assistance. The people never find out it was U.S. tax dollars that supplied for their needs. By being visible on the scene, I believe it would go a long way in changing the hearts and minds who tend to hate us.
    Excellent post!

    I have suggested that it might be nice for us to provide aid instead of killing them...especially the women and children! I like your idea of sending food directly to the people, too. I would hope that it might make a difference in their opinion of us, especially the children. Maybe not, but what we're doing isn't making us more popular, either.

  7. #77
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Who Will Look More Ridiculous?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    See, you can't have it both ways. Intention is everything. They walked it back. You yourself just said it was a gaff. Fumbling about, falling ass backward into success in spite of yourself shows neither strength nor leadership.

    To frame it as such is nothing more than




    But there are fools who'll believe it...
    I called it a gaff only because as we both know Kerry was speaking boldly and frankly but without the consent of the President. Thus, he went off script. Frankly, I don't think even he suspected Russia would take him seriously and make the recommendation to Syria with any expectation that Assad would accept. This is why I said "Kerry's gaff will turn out to be a smart bold suggestion" not move because his suggestion wasn't meant to be serious. It was just him bolstering.

    And of course the President walked back Kerry's suggestion. As I said, not even he believed the Russians would take the recommendation to Assad with any expectation he'd accept. Of course, as you've pointed out and I fully agree if the President were thinking clearly on the matter he'd have saw this as a diplomatic opportunity to resolve the matter peacefully. Of course, here is where the Right-Wing hardliners completely forget (or ignore) how this "turning over WMD to the international community led by U.N. weapons inspectors" didn't quite work out oh, about 10 years ago w/Saddam Hussein. (Hence, the very real reason Assad happens to now have chemical weapons. Hint, Hint!!) So, my guess is President Obama is looking at this from a prism of not too distant history:

    1) An untrustworthy liaison to Syria that is Vladamer Putin; but moreover (and, thus, the real kicker),

    2) An untrustworthy foreign government who like its neighbor also once promised to give up its WMDs.

    I understand how people are trying to play this, i.e., oh, President Obama isn't so smart, etc., etc., but I'm not so sure that in those first 24 hours I'd have been too keen on taking a "wait and see" approach either (referring to waiting to see if Putin would actually talk to Assad and convince him to accept such a proposal).

    We all have the benefit of hindsight. But as I've often said, we, Americans, have short-term memories when it comes to political affairs which only gets shorter the more partisan we become. We forget (or ignore) the errors "our side" made but are quick to pounce on the other side when they do so something wrong or you don't agree with. It has everything to do with not wanting to see anything positive come from "their guy" but accept on blind faith what "our guy" did...or didn't do...or failed to do...or could have done better...blah, blah, blah.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 09-13-13 at 01:32 PM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  8. #78
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,128

    Re: Who Will Look More Ridiculous?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    We all have the benefit of hindsight. But as I've often said, we, Americans, have short-term memories when it comes to political affairs which only gets shorter the more partisan we become. We forget (or ignore) the errors "our side" made but are quick to pounce on the other side when they do so something wrong or you don't agree with. It has everything to do with not wanting to see anything positive come from "their guy" but accept on blind faith what "our guy" did...or didn't do...or failed to do...or could have done better...blah, blah, blah.
    Not all of us do. I'm still holding a grudge and will kick this kid's ass if ever I see him from a wrong he did me in the 5th grade.

    Currently there is no "my guy".

    I know I'm relatively new to this forum so people don't realize that I voted in 08 for this "guy" Obama. First Dem I voted for for national office and the last. I said then, back in 2007 and 2008; should he fail to live up to his commitments, should he go off the reservation, should he basically do everything that he has done, I would be his most vicious critic. I keep my promises.

    To the beginning portion of your post I can only say that in everyday life for everyday people practicing mindfulness is of the utmost importance. When dealing with IR or anything in governance this state of mind is paramount. Obama and Kerry both failed. The only thing in fact that Obama never seems to fail at, is being a disappointment.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •