View Poll Results: do you believe in quantum mechanics ?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    14 70.00%
  • no

    0 0%
  • l dont know

    0 0%
  • other

    7 35.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: quantum theory ,do you agree with it ?

  1. #11
    Advisor douglas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-16 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    458

    Re: quantum theory ,do you agree with it ?

    I liked the movie, although the background music was a bit too "smothering". My favorite part was the cat driving the car.

  2. #12
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,868
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: quantum theory ,do you agree with it ?

    Your thread title talks about Quantum Theory but your Poll talks about Quantum Mechanics. Two seperate things.

    Quantum Mechanics is proven. Quantum Theory has yet to be proven. So one is not to be believed...it is to be known...IE Fact. The other is a belief system. One that I do believe in myself.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #13
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,081

    Re: quantum theory ,do you agree with it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Your thread title talks about Quantum Theory but your Poll talks about Quantum Mechanics. Two seperate things.

    Quantum Mechanics is proven. Quantum Theory has yet to be proven. So one is not to be believed...it is to be known...IE Fact. The other is a belief system. One that I do believe in myself.
    l know l must have used teh wrong word ,l should have asked " do you believe in quantum theory
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,868
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: quantum theory ,do you agree with it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    l know l must have used teh wrong word ,l should have asked " do you believe in quantum theory
    Yes I believe in it. But I could understand why some wouldn't. 1: It is not proven, and to many, anything that is not proven is fantasy. 2: It could indicate some things which many people would be very reluctant to accept...or very happy to accept depending on your POV. Its very essences indicates that anything and everything is possible...if not in this universe and/or dimension and/or reality then in some other universe, dimension, reality. This means that even the All Mighty Spaghetti Monster could exist. Which some people could not simply believe is possible...and on the flip side some would be quite willing (and happy) to believe it is possible.

    Now while I believe it is possible that is all that I believe. I won't even pretend to imagine the extent of it.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #15
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,081

    Re: quantum theory ,do you agree with it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Yes I believe in it. But I could understand why some wouldn't. 1: It is not proven, and to many, anything that is not proven is fantasy. 2: It could indicate some things which many people would be very reluctant to accept...or very happy to accept depending on your POV. Its very essences indicates that anything and everything is possible...if not in this universe and/or dimension and/or reality then in some other universe, dimension, reality. This means that even the All Mighty Spaghetti Monster could exist. Which some people could not simply believe is possible...and on the flip side some would be quite willing (and happy) to believe it is possible.

    Now while I believe it is possible that is all that I believe. I won't even pretend to imagine the extent of it.
    found another video

    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  6. #16
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Re: quantum theory ,do you agree with it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    It's not something that people should "believe in". It exists, it's real and just because some people are not smart enough to get it, doesn't mean it's not true.
    I agree, and sorry to derail the thread, but this is exactly the kind of question that offends me. A few people put decades of their lives into the study of this and other fields of knowledge, can grasp the implications of them, and can contribute to the field.

    Only a complete ignoramus would approach such a field and start shooting their mouth off about what they believe is right and wrong, when they have no foundation for understanding the subject they are talking about. This doesn't happen as much for Quantum Theory, only a bit when people misinterpret or misunderstand the concept of Shrödinger's Cat, for instance. For the most part, though, Quantum Mechanics is a field that is way too brainy for most people to touch.

    What a lot of people don't have a problem with is ranting about their opinions on evolution, global warming, and vaccines. Despite having no academic foundation in these fields, regular people have gotten the impression that everyone has a voice and each opinion is valid. I'm sorry, but no, it's not. Go study at an accredited school for 10 years and then you can spout your theories and garner respect.

  7. #17
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: quantum theory ,do you agree with it ?

    Other. Quantum theory is useful in some aspects that involve what we can actually observe and manipulate, but is not complete enough to be entirely reliable. Especially when it comes to matters outside of our planet, where we're really just making overcomplicated guesses. Until we actually go out and experience the universe, guesses are all we'll ever have.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,081

    Re: quantum theory ,do you agree with it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    I agree, and sorry to derail the thread, but this is exactly the kind of question that offends me. A few people put decades of their lives into the study of this and other fields of knowledge, can grasp the implications of them, and can contribute to the field.

    Only a complete ignoramus would approach such a field and start shooting their mouth off about what they believe is right and wrong, when they have no foundation for understanding the subject they are talking about. This doesn't happen as much for Quantum Theory, only a bit when people misinterpret or misunderstand the concept of Shrödinger's Cat, for instance. For the most part, though, Quantum Mechanics is a field that is way too brainy for most people to touch.

    What a lot of people don't have a problem with is ranting about their opinions on evolution, global warming, and vaccines. Despite having no academic foundation in these fields, regular people have gotten the impression that everyone has a voice and each opinion is valid. I'm sorry, but no, it's not. Go study at an accredited school for 10 years and then you can spout your theories and garner respect.
    l dont think l look like one of those ignorant ones

    because l also know this is not the law of gravity

    some people should try posting nicely instead of looking agressive
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  9. #19
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Re: quantum theory ,do you agree with it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    l dont think l look like one of those ignorant ones

    because l also know this is not the law of gravity

    some people should try posting nicely instead of looking agressive
    My bad, Medusa. I just get so mad about science.

  10. #20
    Educator
    USViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greensboro NC USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,118

    Re: quantum theory ,do you agree with it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I voted other.

    I agree with it to the extent that it seems (to my somewhat limited understanding) to accurately explain the way certain physical phenomena work, but it seems to be an incomplete theory that breaks down under certain conditions.
    Quantum Mechanics is not known to break down under any conditions.

    General Relativity is thought by some to break down in the interior of Black Holes. Partly because of this QM is favored over GR as most likely to produce an eventual final Theory Of Everything.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •