View Poll Results: How Important is Space Exploration as a National Interest?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very, we should be sending men back to the moon, to Mars, and beyond

    48 68.57%
  • Somewhat, but we should stick to sending probes

    4 5.71%
  • Not very important now, maybe in the future

    11 15.71%
  • Not at all, it's a distraction and a waste of money

    10 14.29%
  • Space is boring.

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 164

Thread: How Important is Space Exploration as a National Interest?

  1. #141
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,847

    Re: How Important is Space Exploration as a National Interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    What happens when a space ship filled with heavy iron enters the earths atmosphere again?
    ...very little?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #142
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: How Important is Space Exploration as a National Interest?

    We have to agree first on what exactly is " a national interest".

    Is it (1) our best approximation of cumulative "interests" of actual, real people who constitute "the nation" - or is it (2) some mystical idea demanding that those real people keep making blind sacrifices to promote "the nation's" glory and dominance?

    I am definitely inclined to endorse (1) over (2).

    I am all for space exploration, but is it in our "national interest". to make a citizen of this nation who could not care less about space probes orbiting Jupiter pay for all that orbiting and probing?

    It's not like he is given options, as a taxpayer...Nothing speaks louder about the arrogance of self-appointed elites than this "I have a grandiose dream, you pay for it" attitude.

    If we care about our long-term chances - not as an abstract "great nation", but as a livable liberal democracy - no, it is not in our "national interests".

    Leave space projects (beyond the unavoidable defense infrastructure) to the likes of Jeff Bezos and Robert Bigelow, to the big private money. At least until we pay off the national debt, solve all our serious structural problems, replace every blighted neighborhood with a fragrant garden - and then totally run out of ideas, what to do with our uncontrollably growing budget surpluses.
    Last edited by Cyrylek; 09-08-13 at 07:20 PM.

  3. #143
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: How Important is Space Exploration as a National Interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013...onshot.html?hp

    We just shot a cool new probe to the moon, but how important is space exploration to the future of America? Is there none? Do we need to get back up there?
    Its not important now and therefore a waste of money.This country is going broke, so space exploration is a luxury that should be cut.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #144
    double secret probation AngryOldGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Phx,Az
    Last Seen
    03-31-14 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,917

    Re: How Important is Space Exploration as a National Interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    What happens when a space ship filled with heavy iron enters the earths atmosphere again?
    It makes a nicey nice landing because it is equipped with a device that renders it weightless, anti-gravity slash warp drive. HaaaaH dude I dismissed the inane concept of mining for iron in outer space (cuz its silly) but stop just for one nanosecond and consider this...

    Think of the size and weights of the vehicles we've designed to re-enter the earth's atmosphere (thus far)
    Which one still holds the record re-entry speed? (Apollo command module) 25K
    and the Shuttle which is goin' real slow creeps down from orbital speeds 17.5k
    so how ARE you gonna plop down a monstrously large Iron cargo freighter without it becoming a fireball?
    spacecraft 'Hayabusa' - spectacular re-entry
    New Hope for the Wretched era

  5. #145
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: How Important is Space Exploration as a National Interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryOldGuy View Post
    Sorry buddie I've already shown that Space-X has yet to show a real profit lofting stuff into orbit,
    I'm too bored to hunt down the validity of your claim that Virgin Galactic is already showing a healthy profit
    with their space Tourism business, please gimme a link I'd like to price a flight to Saturn to get a look at the rings for myself
    No need to apologize. Nowhere did I claim they were currently profitable. What I claimed was they wouldn't invest their own money unless they expected to see a profit. However

    http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...lactic-222290/

    Few companies can boast revenues worth tens of millions of dollars before actually delivering the "ultimate experience" promised - but that is what Virgin Galactic has achieved with its sales pitch that fulfils the dreams of the Apollo generation's wealthier members to carry them beyond the Earth.
    Last edited by jonny5; 09-08-13 at 09:23 PM.

  6. #146
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: How Important is Space Exploration as a National Interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by angryoldguy View Post
    i know millions billions trillions in no time it all just runs together
    the approximate distance to proxima centauri is 24,689,699,219,367 in no time it all gets a tad crazy
    How Important is Space Exploration as a National Interest?-one_bill_a-jpg

    x15 (those are pennies, a lot of them)

  7. #147
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,475

    Re: How Important is Space Exploration as a National Interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    We have to agree first on what exactly is " a national interest".

    Is it (1) our best approximation of cumulative "interests" of actual, real people who constitute "the nation" - or is it (2) some mystical idea demanding that those real people keep making blind sacrifices to promote "the nation's" glory and dominance?

    I am definitely inclined to endorse (1) over (2).

    I am all for space exploration, but is it in our "national interest". to make a citizen of this nation who could not care less about space probes orbiting Jupiter pay for all that orbiting and probing?

    It's not like he is given options, as a taxpayer...Nothing speaks louder about the arrogance of self-appointed elites than this "I have a grandiose dream, you pay for it" attitude.

    If we care about our long-term chances - not as an abstract "great nation", but as a livable liberal democracy - no, it is not in our "national interests".

    Leave space projects (beyond the unavoidable defense infrastructure) to the likes of Jeff Bezos and Robert Bigelow, to the big private money. At least until we pay off the national debt, solve all our serious structural problems, replace every blighted neighborhood with a fragrant garden - and then totally run out of ideas, what to do with our uncontrollably growing budget surpluses.
    And what happens when Russia is the only country that has vehicles that can get to space and they control the satellites and everything else up there.

    From what we have seen recently, Russia is not anxious to work with the US so I would consider it in the national interest to keep a presence in space.

  8. #148
    double secret probation AngryOldGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Phx,Az
    Last Seen
    03-31-14 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,917

    Re: How Important is Space Exploration as a National Interest?

    jonny that's a buncha Zinc

    until 1982, when the composition was changed to 97.5 percent zinc and 2.5 percent copper (copper-plated zinc)

  9. #149
    double secret probation AngryOldGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Phx,Az
    Last Seen
    03-31-14 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,917

    Re: How Important is Space Exploration as a National Interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Russia is quite anxious to work for the US so I would consider it in their national interest to keep hauling our stuff too space.
    I agree but just know that our military keeps them lil rockets ready at Vandenburg to throw stuff up there We don't farm out sending up our spy satellites to the Rooskie's (maybe that's next with Obama in charge)
    New Hope for the Wretched era

  10. #150
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,475

    Re: How Important is Space Exploration as a National Interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryOldGuy View Post
    I agree but just know that our military keeps them lil rockets ready at Vandenburg to throw stuff up there We don't farm out sending up our spy satellites to the Rooskie's (maybe that's next with Obama in charge)
    Well rockets cost money so ther will come a time when they will not be used.

    Obama killed Kennedys space program so what will be next?

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •