View Poll Results: Are GMO foods good or bad?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

    22 50.00%
  • Bad

    12 27.27%
  • Not sure

    8 18.18%
  • GMO Rutabega

    2 4.55%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 115

Thread: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

  1. #81
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I can't add much to the wise words of the posts above, except to underscore how important it is that people who oppose GMOs be publicly shamed and ridiculed. GMOs are perfectly safe and very important. People who oppose them are dangerous, just like vaccine deniers. Anybody who opposes GMOs is a public health menace.
    ... but spicy jalapenos are disappearing as genetically altered mild strains run amok among crops.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  2. #82
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Well to be honest about the comparison the artificial cross pollinating we do to make the hybrid corn our food chain relies on doesn't use a virus to do the heavy lifting. Roughly 10% of the artificial cross pollinated seed corn for dispersal to farmers doesn't 'take'. You see the rogue plants among the other plants.

    The process of inserting DNA into the host plant uses a specially modified virus- usually a particularly nasty one as they have a high penetration coefficient than 'nicer' viruses. The process is not like human fertilization, no one egg getting the DNA added by hand but a batch process- which has a failure rate just like our artificial cross pollinating.

    What some fear is we will have Ebola in /whole corn/veggies/eggs like we now have salmonella or Ecoli. Inside not on.

    As an aside- cigarettes nicotine and cancer was studied with two very opposing camps thinking they were correct.

    And as a rancher I'd say this isn't a war against corporate farming but a battle to try and keep major corporations like Monsanto from controlling farming through the holding of patents.

    Oh and that whole Ebola thing....
    Six of one/half a dozen of the other. If they take down Monsanto they will take down the likes of ADM (though I think they aren't called ADM anymore maybe). It is a political agenda wrapped up in other clothes.

    As for the contamination thing, it already has happened. I understand that the Nestle Tollhouse recall may have been linked to salmonella in the flour from their suppliers and the company has or is moving to using flour pre-baked to sterilize it.

  3. #83
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    My personal thoughts are that GMO is not a good thing, and I try to avoid them whenever possible. Although this is not an unbiased source, or scientific, and it merely anecdotal evidence, I have experienced the same observations myself. About a year ago, I bought a dried corn product to feed squirrels here, and the squirrels would not touch it, and this is the first time I had ever had that experience. Usually, I can't keep the squirrels out of the birdfeeders, so I often buy corn for them, and put it in a separate location from the feeders.

    Animals Avoid GM Soy And Corn
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #84
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,550

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Why would I? Up until a few weeks ago I could walk into my back yard and pick my own.



    Then you would have to admit that GMO's pose no danger as the plant could not affect you when you ate it and therefore be the cause of your cancer, diabetes, or anything else that is being claimed about them.
    Most human adverse reactions (so far) to GMOs are not diseases, pre se, they are more likely to be allergies which result from proteins/enzymes added to a plant/animal via genetic modification. You may know that you are allergic to X but not know that the allergen contained in X is now also produced by a GMO variety of Y.

    Here is an admittedly biased link on this topic:

    Institute for Responsible Technology - Genetically Engineered Foods May Cause Rising Food Allergies—Genetically Engineered Soybeans
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #85
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Most human adverse reactions (so far) to GMOs are not diseases, pre se, they are more likely to be allergies which result from proteins/enzymes added to a plant/animal via genetic modification. You may know that you are allergic to X but not know that the allergen contained in X is now also produced by a GMO variety of Y.

    Here is an admittedly biased link on this topic:

    Institute for Responsible Technology - Genetically Engineered Foods May Cause Rising Food Allergies—Genetically Engineered Soybeans
    Risk-finding studies are usually addressed in a very polarized way and are spoon fed to the media that sensationalizes it for the readers in a very unbalanced fashion. a lot of the GM-phobia stuff originates from the Seralini study which has been heavily criticized in its methodology for being conducted on a variety of rats pre-disposed to tumors when given an uncontrolled diet regardless of what those diets are. There are certainly potential risks for great harm, but those dangers have not materialized. I don't think people can conceive of a world that truly had no GM foods.

    What I find most ironic is that largely it is the side that is all about promoting stem-cell research that wants to ban GMO's.

  6. #86
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Six of one/half a dozen of the other. If they take down Monsanto they will take down the likes of ADM (though I think they aren't called ADM anymore maybe). It is a political agenda wrapped up in other clothes. As for the contamination thing, it already has happened. I understand that the Nestle Tollhouse recall may have been linked to salmonella in the flour from their suppliers and the company has or is moving to using flour pre-baked to sterilize it.
    It isn't that A certain corporation can control the seed grain supply of this country- it is that ANY corporation can.

    I'd say it is a monopoly agenda squeezed into a 'patent protection' thong.

    Oh salmonella contamination is unfortunately quite common IN eggs and fruits, so is e-Coli. How ever those pale compared to Ebola. Bacteria/protozoa are far easier to treat than a virus.

  7. #87
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    GMOs are not intrinsically good or bad. What is bad is our patent law relating to GMOs, which allows certain life forms, or certain sequences of DNA, to be patented and monopolized.

  8. #88
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,714

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    My personal thoughts are that GMO is not a good thing, and I try to avoid them whenever possible. Although this is not an unbiased source, or scientific, and it merely anecdotal evidence, I have experienced the same observations myself. About a year ago, I bought a dried corn product to feed squirrels here, and the squirrels would not touch it, and this is the first time I had ever had that experience. Usually, I can't keep the squirrels out of the birdfeeders, so I often buy corn for them, and put it in a separate location from the feeders.

    Animals Avoid GM Soy And Corn
    A few random anecdotes based on the personal observations of a handful of people?

    Completely worthless. People are so inclined to confirmation bias it's not even funny.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #89
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    Wouldn't it make more sense to have non-GMO producers to label their food if they choose to?
    I'm sure most of them are proud to. That's a good point, if I cared enough to shop for non-GMO food I could probably look for that on the packaging.

  10. #90
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Labeled how? If a cow ate 2% GMO feed, say corn that was .0005% altered in its geneitic make-up, is the beef then labeled as "GMO beef", "2% GMO Beef" or "0.00001% GMO beef"?
    Sorry, but I read that as MOOOOO1% GMO Beef

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •