View Poll Results: Are GMO foods good or bad?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

    22 50.00%
  • Bad

    12 27.27%
  • Not sure

    8 18.18%
  • GMO Rutabega

    2 4.55%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 115

Thread: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

  1. #51
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    depends on what the modification is and what you consider to be good or bad, really. I don't know that life hangs in the balance because they developed a stringless string bean. The hybridization of plants like wheat, rice and corn, however, have saved a lot of lives in the third world by increasing yields and decreasing costs.
    But we are not a third world country.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    But we are not a third world country.
    Parts of the US might as well be, and we are the country that makes gazillions of dollars on GMO products. 2% feed the 98%.

  3. #53
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Parts of the US might as well be, and we are the country that makes gazillions of dollars on GMO products. 2% feed the 98%.
    Though I disagree, Our poorest are better off then most third world countries in virtually every aspect, why would this justify not providing the information about what we are consuming?
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    Though I disagree, Our poorest are better off then most third world countries in virtually every aspect, why would this justify not providing the information about what we are consuming?
    Because it only matters to granola eating people who would already be informed if they were concerned. If I were allergic to peanuts, I would already read the ingredients for peanuts. I have no food allergies that I am aware of, so none of that matters. Should we also put warning labels on everything in plastic that the chemicals in the plastic are dangerous for you, especially if you heat it?

  5. #55
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Because it only matters to granola eating people who would already be informed if they were concerned. If I were allergic to peanuts, I would already read the ingredients for peanuts. I have no food allergies that I am aware of, so none of that matters. Should we also put warning labels on everything in plastic that the chemicals in the plastic are dangerous for you, especially if you heat it?
    So why would they be adamant about making it more difficult for people to know what is in their food?

    YOU have no allergies, but many people do, and not just to common things like peanuts. And because of that particular allergy, notices are on the package regarding it, and some other common ingredients. But some are not, and I DO have an allergy, a rather uncommon one admittedly, but to an ingredient that is not REQUIRED to be specified, and used extremely commonly in most prepared foods, even organic ones. Some do list it, some don't.

    You made me laugh (not in a good way) with the comment regarding granola eating people, which is so utterly false. Your obvious disdain colors your entire perspective.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    So why would they be adamant about making it more difficult for people to know what is in their food?

    YOU have no allergies, but many people do, and not just to common things like peanuts. And because of that particular allergy, notices are on the package regarding it, and some other common ingredients. But some are not, and I DO have an allergy, a rather uncommon one admittedly, but to an ingredient that is not REQUIRED to be specified, and used extremely commonly in most prepared foods, even organic ones. Some do list it, some don't.

    You made me laugh (not in a good way) with the comment regarding granola eating people, which is so utterly false. Your obvious disdain colors your entire perspective.
    I grow and buy organic and I eat granola. regardless, there is no need to label it because GMO's aren't added to the food--they are the food. there is nothing you are going to do about it in most cases because there is no alternative.

  7. #57
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    I grow and buy organic and I eat granola. regardless, there is no need to label it because GMO's aren't added to the food--they are the food. there is nothing you are going to do about it in most cases because there is no alternative.
    I know it's not an additive. And yes there is alternatives.

    Around here, Grainger County is known for it's tomatoes, and certain farms, not organic, do not grow GMO tomatoes. It's general public knowledge. It's like grading eggs... you expect a certain quality (size, for eggs) and when that 'product' has been changed, there is some method of determining that. That's called informing the consumer.

    By altering the DNA of (as example) the tomato they have changed it, but presented it as the same as previously provided, which is false.

    The monopoly that has been created has powerful lobbying influence, to the detriment of consumers. And there are those who feel we don't have the right to know, and the rest just don't give a ****.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    I know it's not an additive. And yes there is alternatives.

    Around here, Grainger County is known for it's tomatoes, and certain farms, not organic, do not grow GMO tomatoes. It's general public knowledge. It's like grading eggs... you expect a certain quality (size, for eggs) and when that 'product' has been changed, there is some method of determining that. That's called informing the consumer.

    By altering the DNA of (as example) the tomato they have changed it, but presented it as the same as previously provided, which is false.

    The monopoly that has been created has powerful lobbying influence, to the detriment of consumers. And there are those who feel we don't have the right to know, and the rest just don't give a ****.
    They only difference between a hybrid and a GMO is that one occurs in nature and one occurs in a lab, but the one that occurs in the lab is just a faster version of what occurs in nature. If you don't want GMO's, grow your own. Otherwise there is no reason to scare the hell out of people for no reason whatsoever.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    I just don't see the argument against it outside of just hating corporations.

    I think every reputable study has shown than they're safe.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    They only difference between a hybrid and a GMO is that one occurs in nature and one occurs in a lab, but the one that occurs in the lab is just a faster version of what occurs in nature.
    I don't think so. There are no square tomatoes in nature.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •