View Poll Results: Are GMO foods good or bad?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

    22 50.00%
  • Bad

    12 27.27%
  • Not sure

    8 18.18%
  • GMO Rutabega

    2 4.55%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 115

Thread: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

  1. #41
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    No, that's ludicrous. There is no reason to require labeling because there is no rational reason to prefer non-GMO food over GMO food. The only reason anybody would want to know is out of sheer ignorance.

    The government should not step in an require labeling of GMOs simply to coddle ignorant paranoiacs who are suspicious of GMOs for no rational reason.
    A few deaths have been contributed to GMO's by way of food allergies. Consider a gene taken out of a salmon and used in a tomato to enhance some property. A consumer who has an allergy to salmon would have no reason to question a tomato yet could die due to eating cross gene tomatoes.

  2. #42
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,388
    Blog Entries
    10

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    A few deaths have been contributed to GMO's by way of food allergies. Consider a gene taken out of a salmon and used in a tomato to enhance some property. A consumer who has an allergy to salmon would have no reason to question a tomato yet could die due to eating cross gene tomatoes.
    I would like to see link for that.

  3. #43
    User Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    10-09-13 @ 08:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    109

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    No, people don't have a right to be informed of something that makes absolutely no difference. Since they are perfectly safe, there is no obligation to inform people about them.

    You are 180 degrees away from correct. It is Government that DOES NOT have the right to force a business to label a perfectly safe product. That would only have the effect of hurting the GMO business, and the label only serves to scare ignorant people into not buying a safe product.
    People like you make GMO's look bad. Just label it and move on.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Scientific American just released a vicious editorial (signed by their editorial board) castigating GMO labeling as fear mongering. I whole heartily agree. The scientific consensus behind the safety of GMO's is overwhelming. Efforts to label them are nothing more than attempts to stigmatize a product that the public has only a shaky understanding of in the best of times. There is a reason the biggest donors behind the labeling effort in California were from the organic food industry and organic restaurateurs.

    Labels for GMO Foods Are a Bad Idea: Scientific American
    Scientific American comes out in favor of GMOs, and I agree | The Curious Wavefunction, Scientific American Blog Network

  5. #45
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,072

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Scientific American just released a vicious editorial (signed by their editorial board) castigating GMO labeling as fear mongering. I whole heartily agree.
    Sounds interesting. Do you have a link?
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  6. #46
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Yeah I just edited it in, sorry for leaving it out.

  7. #47
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Scientific American just released a vicious editorial (signed by their editorial board) castigating GMO labeling as fear mongering. I whole heartily agree. The scientific consensus behind the safety of GMO's is overwhelming. Efforts to label them are nothing more than attempts to stigmatize a product that the public has only a shaky understanding of in the best of times. There is a reason the biggest donors behind the labeling effort in California were from the organic food industry and organic restaurateurs.

    Labels for GMO Foods Are a Bad Idea: Scientific American
    Scientific American comes out in favor of GMOs, and I agree | The Curious Wavefunction, Scientific American Blog Network
    That's fine and dandy. So they too feel consumers don't need to know what their eating.

    They do realize that they are actually causing some of the negative PR by being so adamant regarding GMO labeling?
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    That's fine and dandy. So they too feel consumers don't need to know what their eating.

    They do realize that they are actually causing some of the negative PR by being so adamant regarding GMO labeling?
    Completely disagree. The stigma done by labeling is infinitely worse than campaigns to prevent them. Labeling and the campaign around it devastated the market in Europe and the goal is to have a repeat effect in the United States. Moreover you already 'dont know' what is in your food. The complexity of the agricultural supply chain virtually dictates it. After all it's not like you know the countries that all of your ingredients came from, what type of 'generic' wheat/soy/etc is being used (they all have varying degrees of "natural" genetic modification depending on the type...not that you know), and then some. If people are so concerned you can purchase explicitly labeled organic products.

  9. #49
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Completely disagree. The stigma done by labeling is infinitely worse than campaigns to prevent them. Labeling and the campaign around it devastated the market in Europe and the goal is to have a repeat effect in the United States. Moreover you already 'dont know' what is in your food. The complexity of the agricultural supply chain virtually dictates it. After all it's not like you know the countries that all of your ingredients came from, what type of 'generic' wheat/soy/etc is being used (they all have varying degrees of "natural" genetic modification depending on the type...not that you know), and then some. If people are so concerned you can purchase explicitly labeled organic products.
    So rather than educating the consumer, the industry prefers to leave the consumer blind. That in itself will bolster the negative rumors. I eat few prepared foods, though when I do, I read ingredient lists. Not just the known foods, but the words you can't pronounce. Too many consumers just grab and run without knowing what they are eating. Most pay attention when they have a health condition or allergy. It doesn't necessarily require 'organic', and the inflated prices that go with it. It just requires clear, concise labeling, which doesn't currently exist.

    Fortunately, I grow most of my own produce.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    Since this is an issue in my state right now. I would like to see what the good people of the forums think about this. Do you think GMO foods are good or bad for the human population?

    Genetically modified organism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    depends on what the modification is and what you consider to be good or bad, really. I don't know that life hangs in the balance because they developed a stringless string bean. The hybridization of plants like wheat, rice and corn, however, have saved a lot of lives in the third world by increasing yields and decreasing costs.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •