View Poll Results: Are GMO foods good or bad?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

    22 50.00%
  • Bad

    12 27.27%
  • Not sure

    8 18.18%
  • GMO Rutabega

    2 4.55%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 115

Thread: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

  1. #31
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    That fact that you even think that harm is a possibility proves your ignorance. GMOs are not untested, their effects are well understood. Artificial genetic modification has existed as long as agriculture; natural genetic modification has existed since the dawn of life!

    The danger from GMOs only exists in the deluded, paranoid minds of hippies and conspiracy nuts.
    You may want to be a lab rat. Many people do not.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #32
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    You may want to be a lab rat. Many people do not.
    You demonstrate your incredible ignorance by thinking that eating GMO food is the equivalent of being a lab rat.

    That is just stupidity.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    GMO should be BANNED forever!
    It's one thing making a selection and hybrids, it's another intervening in the DNA structure.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    No, people don't have a right to be informed of something that makes absolutely no difference.
    I'm sorry but it is not for you to decide what makes a difference and what doesn't.
    I want to know what I eat.

  5. #35
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    You demonstrate your incredible ignorance by thinking that eating GMO food is the equivalent of being a lab rat.

    That is just stupidity.
    Companies have lied about the safety of their products and studies can be biased for whoever is footing the bill of that study. What is stupidity is suggesting that people shouldn't have the right to know what exactly they are buying. The government should force these companies to label GMO foods as GMO foods.If GMO is safe as you claim they are then companies shouldn't be hiding the fact their foods are GMO period. Just because you wish to be ignorant lab rat doesn't mean other people wish to be as well.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #36
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    You demonstrate your incredible ignorance by thinking that eating GMO food is the equivalent of being a lab rat.

    That is just stupidity.
    If GMOs are as wonderful as you claim they are, why not tout it! Big red letters on a label or package stating the benefits of GMO, the added nutrition, the pesticide resistance, the NEW AND IMPROVED version of Mother Nature?
    Last edited by GottaGo; 09-08-13 at 09:47 AM.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  7. #37
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,292

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    Since this is an issue in my state right now. I would like to see what the good people of the forums think about this. Do you think GMO foods are good or bad for the human population?

    Genetically modified organism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    GMOs are not good under Corporate Monopoly control.

  8. #38
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    No, people don't have a right to be informed of something that makes absolutely no difference. Since they are perfectly safe, there is no obligation to inform people about them.

    You are 180 degrees away from correct. It is Government that DOES NOT have the right to force a business to label a perfectly safe product. That would only have the effect of hurting the GMO business, and the label only serves to scare ignorant people into not buying a safe product.
    It's not a matter of 'safe', that's the point you have skirted so continuously. It's about knowing what you are consuming.

    Who are you to judge what someone else deems 'safe', or what they have the right to know about?

    Ingredients used in prepared foods are listed so people know what's in it, not if it's deemed 'safe'.

    Do you understand the phrase 'he doth protest too much'?
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    I actually work with GMO wheat. It isn't a particularly helpful thing in a basic grain like wheat. but it does put a genetic tag in wheat that has allowed Monsanto to shut down the private sale of seed wheat among farmers and the COOP to farmers unless the sale is pre-approved by Monsanto. (that means by the sack from Monsanto and not straight run from the elevator)

    GMO seed is of little use to emerging nations- it is simply too expensive.

    Where GMOs shine in the basics are corn and cotton. For cotton it is resistance to herbicides. Cotton is highly susceptible to chemicals. 2,4D a common broadleaf herbicide has a cut-off date for use so emerging cotton plants are not stunted- and the affected field can be miles from the sprayed field. GMO cotton is now 'Round-up' ready, Round-up is a popular broad spectrum herbicide.

    Same with corn, big farmers save a great deal in time and money making one sprayer weed control pass for every 5 mechanical ones.

    Tomatoes show the not for increased yield side on GMOs. Shelf life and blemish control are the main reasons to mess with tomatoes. The taste difference between a traditionally bred tomato and a GMO one is startling. Having the tomatoes withstand mechanical harvest was GMO'd in, but that doesn't make them cheaper for us or better tasting.

    It is incorrect to compare GMO with cross breeding and selecting for a positive trait. I seriously doubt we would have 'Round-up' ready cotton by breeding. The older tradition of cross breeding is a more stable process that doesn't overwhelm the nucleus. Most of our basic crops have a stable gene pool that gets tweaked by cross breeding- the fear is a large influx of foreign genetic material will destabilize that base.

    Take wheat- the natural tendency for grasses is to have the seeds(grain) mature over a long period of time so the species has a better chance of re-establishing itself under favorable conditions. Some grasses set a 'hard' seed that sits in the ground up to 5 years and only a range fire will start it to germinate. so those grasses make poor candidates for harvest, even hand harvesting by hunter gatherers. Over time they noticed some grass patches gave more seed at one time than others. It took centuries to select for that and seed size, but it was done. Now wheat seed ripens as one unit for productive mechanical harvest. Imagine a case where wheat doesn't so most of the grain isn't usable for flour? the unripe grain can also spoil the ripe kernels due to a much higher moisture content that heats and spoils the ripe seed.

    I am not against GMOs across the board, but GMOs are not like cross breeding and major seed corporations use GMOs to control production through enforcing patent law down to the farm level.

  10. #40
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    I actually work with GMO wheat. It isn't a particularly helpful thing in a basic grain like wheat. but it does put a genetic tag in wheat that has allowed Monsanto to shut down the private sale of seed wheat among farmers and the COOP to farmers unless the sale is pre-approved by Monsanto. (that means by the sack from Monsanto and not straight run from the elevator)

    GMO seed is of little use to emerging nations- it is simply too expensive.

    Where GMOs shine in the basics are corn and cotton. For cotton it is resistance to herbicides. Cotton is highly susceptible to chemicals. 2,4D a common broadleaf herbicide has a cut-off date for use so emerging cotton plants are not stunted- and the affected field can be miles from the sprayed field. GMO cotton is now 'Round-up' ready, Round-up is a popular broad spectrum herbicide.

    Same with corn, big farmers save a great deal in time and money making one sprayer weed control pass for every 5 mechanical ones.

    Tomatoes show the not for increased yield side on GMOs. Shelf life and blemish control are the main reasons to mess with tomatoes. The taste difference between a traditionally bred tomato and a GMO one is startling. Having the tomatoes withstand mechanical harvest was GMO'd in, but that doesn't make them cheaper for us or better tasting.

    It is incorrect to compare GMO with cross breeding and selecting for a positive trait. I seriously doubt we would have 'Round-up' ready cotton by breeding. The older tradition of cross breeding is a more stable process that doesn't overwhelm the nucleus. Most of our basic crops have a stable gene pool that gets tweaked by cross breeding- the fear is a large influx of foreign genetic material will destabilize that base.

    Take wheat- the natural tendency for grasses is to have the seeds(grain) mature over a long period of time so the species has a better chance of re-establishing itself under favorable conditions. Some grasses set a 'hard' seed that sits in the ground up to 5 years and only a range fire will start it to germinate. so those grasses make poor candidates for harvest, even hand harvesting by hunter gatherers. Over time they noticed some grass patches gave more seed at one time than others. It took centuries to select for that and seed size, but it was done. Now wheat seed ripens as one unit for productive mechanical harvest. Imagine a case where wheat doesn't so most of the grain isn't usable for flour? the unripe grain can also spoil the ripe kernels due to a much higher moisture content that heats and spoils the ripe seed.

    I am not against GMOs across the board, but GMOs are not like cross breeding and major seed corporations use GMOs to control production through enforcing patent law down to the farm level.
    Thank you for a sane post.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •