View Poll Results: Are GMO foods good or bad?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

    22 50.00%
  • Bad

    12 27.27%
  • Not sure

    8 18.18%
  • GMO Rutabega

    2 4.55%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 115

Thread: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

  1. #101
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Haha. I get it. You're trolling. Any reason you're being abnormally obtuse and combative?
    You're the one who is being obtuse: on the one hand you admit that GMOs are safe per se yet on the other you are nursing irrational fears about imaginary dangers of genetic modification. So you know there is no rational basis to fear GMOs yet you fear them and view them with undue skepticism. That is, by definition, irrational.

    And I am being "combative" because the anti-GMO element is a scourge that must be treated with contempt. The irrational opposition to GMOs deserves no respect.

  2. #102
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    The irrational opposition to GMOs deserves no respect.
    Okay...call me when you're back to normal.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #103
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Okay...call me when you're back to normal.
    Tellingly, you fail to address the substance of my argument and resort to ad hominem attack to attempt to save face. But that doesn't change the fact that you are wrong and promoting dangerous ideas.

    Take a look at who you're siding with. Anti-GMO people are right up there with the anti-vaccine kooks.

    Side with science.

  4. #104
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,870

    re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Moderator's Warning:
    Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]Let's just focus on the topic here and stop with the personal comments directed towards each other. Thanks.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Anybody who oppose GMOs in even the slightest way does so based on irrational fears and ignorance. But as I said earlier, the pro-labelling crowd is not merely ignorant, but dangerous. It is a disgusting thing to allow irrational prejudices and fears take hold to the extent that they actively do harm to an emerging scientific field that can do so much good for so many people who are in need.

    It is far beyond mere ignorance, it is despicable, monstrous, horrible to support a labeling requirement.
    Ok, let's pretend that GMO foods are completely safe, though the longer duration of any study the more bad effects are uncovered, but for the sake of argument let's ignore those studies (which the pro-GMO crowd does anyway).

    Do you really think its prudent to create a situation where a company could have a monopoly over food??

    Really?? So, wanting a label to know if your food was created in a lab is akin to eating babies (or something equally horrible)?

    Btw, there's a distinct difference between using selective breeding to enhance certain traits compared to adding genetic instructions (or gene sequences from other animals) into another plant or animal.

    With one you are using natural processes where the changes are made with all the "knowledge" obtained through hundreds of millions of years of evolution compared to the decade or two of obtained knowledge and technology to manipulate genetics. Even if the scientists have the best intentions, and with good understanding of genetics, the understanding of the entire genetic process of reproduction hasn't been fully understood, in that the inserted code might, several generations recombine into something less safe, also the artificial genetics "infects" non GMO plants as well. (which Monsanto has used as evidence of "intellectual property theft" in lawsuits against farmers)

    GMO promised food freedom, but it's turning into food enslavement. That's without even getting into the controversies concerning their safety studies.

  6. #106
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    So you know of every plant that does exist or will ever exist as a result of natural processes?

    GMO's have been studied and approved. That people cannot differentiate between temporal correlation and actual causation is no reason to disrupt the food supply. This isn't a war for health--it is a war against corporate farming. Here is a clue--the insulin used by diabetics is **gasp** genetically modified. Those people clearly would be better off if there were no GMO's
    Well, then, that settles it. The government... that which is utterly free from corporate and lobbying influence, and is as honest and pure as the day is long... has deemed them worthy. I feel much better now.

    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #107
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    An ingredient label would list soybeans, but according to some in this thread, people have no right to know that said soybean may also have been modified to do them harm.

    Wow. Just... wow.
    Identification of a Brazil-Nut Allergen in Transgenic Soybeans

    The New England Journal of Medicine: Identification of a Brazil-Nut Allergen in Transgenic Soybeans

    "...an allergen from a food known to be allergenic can be transferred into another food by genetic engineering."
    On any food product that contains these soybeans, should the ingredient list say "soybeans", or should it say "soybeans and brazil nuts"?
    Last edited by radcen; 09-12-13 at 05:10 AM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    The anti labeling crowd is making GMO's look awful. They don't even realize labeling do nothing except increase consumer knowledge.
    Increase consumer knowledge about what?

    As I said earlier, I believe every single reputable study has concluded that GMO food is perfectly safe.

  9. #109
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Label... and let the market decide.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #110
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Are GMOs good or bad [W:104]

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    Ok, let's pretend that GMO foods are completely safe, though the longer duration of any study the more bad effects are uncovered, but for the sake of argument let's ignore those studies (which the pro-GMO crowd does anyway).
    Look, that's just bull****. GMOs [i]are[i] completely safe, we don't have to assume anything. So, it's not the pro-GMO crowd, it's the pro-science crowd.

    Do you really think its prudent to create a situation where a company could have a monopoly over food??
    That sounds like a IP issue, not a GMO safety issue.

    Really?? So, wanting a label to know if your food was created in a lab is akin to eating babies (or something equally horrible)?
    Yup. It's irrelevant information. Only an ignorant fool would care to know it. No reason to make a law forcing manufacturers to put labels with irrelevant information on them.

    What you are asking for is the coercive labeling of irrelevant information that only matters to prejudiced fools. You are basically saying that if some idiot wants to know the race of the person who grew the tomatoes, it should be forcibly labeled. Well, tough **** if that matters to you because you don't have a right to know irrelevant information like that. It makes no rational difference, and businesspeople don't need to kowtow to ignorant bigots like racists and anti-GMO kooks.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •