View Poll Results: Where did you support intervention?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support intevention in Syria and opposed it in Iraq

    1 3.70%
  • I supported intervention in Iraq and oppose it in Syria

    8 29.63%
  • I support(ed) intervention in both instances

    2 7.41%
  • I oppose(d) intervention in both instances

    13 48.15%
  • Other

    3 11.11%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Syria vs. Iraq

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Arlington, tx
    Last Seen
    10-08-13 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    362

    Re: Syria vs. Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    How's it ideologically inconsistent? I was opposed to invading Iraq because it was basically a manufactured crisis, Saddam had been tamed for years and was not a pressing threat, and it was forced on the US, the UK, and the world based on cherry-picked and unreliable information pushed by Neoconservative extremists.

    I support responding to Assad's use of chemical weapons because it's a real, present, and ongoing threat, he provoked us to respond after we warned him not to, and the information seems to be vetted reliably from multiple sources.

    I'm an interventionist when there's humanitarian issues at stake, the threat of not responding to aggression is worse than responding rationally to it, and there is a reasonable chance at achieving the objectives of an intervention. I'm convinced on the first two points, not sure one way or the other on the last point.

    Feel free to press me on my stance.
    Ummm when did he actuall attack the US. I do not recall?? No we should not be messing around in Syria unless you want another 1 trillion wasted and 10 years of war. This war is as stupid as Iraq, Nam, Korea! We have no right to attack Syria, let them solve the problem which will never happen

  2. #22
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Re: Syria vs. Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    ...so who the hell elected us God then? We can't let it be left to fascistic dictators...as we turn America into a fascist state. We are not Syrian, we have not proper say in their government. End of story. Before running around playing god of the world, I think that we should take care of our own house.
    You want to know the truth? Both parties elected us God, or at least the sole superpower charged with maintaining world order. That's important.

    We have a higher military budget than the next 10 countries combined. We don't need it, but neither party is willing to cut it back to a reasonable level, 'cause everyone loves being the strongest nation in the world.

    But despite our enormous military, it wouldn't do us citizens a lick of good if a country decided to send a nuke our way. We have no missile defense and couldn't scramble a jet in time if we wanted to. We'd be dead, all we could hope for is to kill a bunch of them with us. So what good is our military? They'll say it's as a deterrent, to keep other countries from exerting their influence over parts of the world, and to deter our enemies from launching a war with us.

    But the fact that we have such a huge military means that our allies don't need one themselves, nor do we want them to. That means that even if they wanted to step into to a conflict in their neighborhood, like Syria, that they wouldn't have the means to.

    For better or worse, we have told the world not to arm themselves, because we've got it. Then a situation like Syria comes along and the whole country says we should stay out of it. But we refuse to cut back our military and make others pick up the slack, 'cause then we wouldn't be as powerful.

    That's just a selfish, arrogant attitude. I'll abdicate our country's responsibility in these matters once we've give up some of our power, but then everyone will have to accept the risks of not always being the biggest kid on the playground.

    You can't have it both ways.

  3. #23
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:33 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Syria vs. Iraq

    I supported the invasion in Iraq. I was 16 at the time and didn't have very developed political opinions. There's also the faulty intelligence issue. By a year or two later I thought the whole thing was a giant mess.

    I have strong feelings both ways on Syria. I'm mostly angry at the international community for not being serious about its prohibitions. Why is it the U.S.'s job to enforce these norms, making ourselves enemy #1 of the arab world while we're at it for our constant intervention? I feel these rules are important, so generally I don't oppose a strike, but it is beyond frustrating that we are going to have to largely do it alone, and who knows who we will ultimately be helping, and what if these chemical weapons get into the hands of terrorists (either because Assad gets angry and gives them some or those who take over get them)?
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  4. #24
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Syria vs. Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    You want to know the truth? Both parties elected us God, or at least the sole superpower charged with maintaining world order. That's important.

    We have a higher military budget than the next 10 countries combined. We don't need it, but neither party is willing to cut it back to a reasonable level, 'cause everyone loves being the strongest nation in the world.

    But despite our enormous military, it wouldn't do us citizens a lick of good if a country decided to send a nuke our way. We have no missile defense and couldn't scramble a jet in time if we wanted to. We'd be dead, all we could hope for is to kill a bunch of them with us. So what good is our military? They'll say it's as a deterrent, to keep other countries from exerting their influence over parts of the world, and to deter our enemies from launching a war with us.

    But the fact that we have such a huge military means that our allies don't need one themselves, nor do we want them to. That means that even if they wanted to step into to a conflict in their neighborhood, like Syria, that they wouldn't have the means to.

    For better or worse, we have told the world not to arm themselves, because we've got it. Then a situation like Syria comes along and the whole country says we should stay out of it. But we refuse to cut back our military and make others pick up the slack, 'cause then we wouldn't be as powerful.

    That's just a selfish, arrogant attitude. I'll abdicate our country's responsibility in these matters once we've give up some of our power, but then everyone will have to accept the risks of not always being the biggest kid on the playground.

    You can't have it both ways.
    So kill more Americans for corporate greed, for the sake of our politicians, for 10+ more years of war. When can we be done? How much American blood is enough?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #25
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Syria vs. Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    I'm interested in who supported the intervention in one instance, but not the other. I'd consider that ideologically inconsistent, BTW.
    While so far they are not the same, I oppose both.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #26
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,293

    Re: Syria vs. Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    Death, destruction, chaos and mayhem are already at their nation. We're helping potential victims (and the rebels) be safe from a chemical attack.

    I haven't seen one shred of "proof" that Assad used CW. I've seen numerous reasonable links that show it was the rebels that used the gas. Bomb the rebels. The rebels crossed the red line.

  7. #27
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Re: Syria vs. Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    When can we be done? How much American blood is enough?
    Wish I knew. I've been waiting on Star Trek for a while.

  8. #28
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Syria vs. Iraq

    I did not so much as support war with Iraq but was resigned to it given that Iraq seemed likely to have chemical weapons and Saddam tried to kill "Daddy".
    And I oppose attacking military targets in Syria without a solid direct US interest in doing so.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  9. #29
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Syria vs. Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    Wish I knew. I've been waiting on Star Trek for a while.
    So...war without end. Without any reason to suspect end, without any plan to end....that didn't serve us well last time and it won't serve us well this time.

    Perhaps if you can come up with a reasoned, intelligent, rational, and logical argument for continued aggression in our over decade long war that has killed thousands of Americans, we can continue.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #30
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Syria vs. Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    So...war without end. Without any reason to suspect end, without any plan to end....that didn't serve us well last time and it won't serve us well this time.
    What "last time?"
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •