View Poll Results: Who did the gas attack

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Syria did it

    9 33.33%
  • Rebels did it

    8 29.63%
  • I have no idea who did it

    10 37.04%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Who dunnit?

  1. #11
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: Who dunnit?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    The idea of Saudi Arabia giving Chemical Weapons to Al Qaeda is.......



    ..... I find it.... how to put this.... "not credible". Yeah, that pretty much covers it.
    Why? The terrorists responsible for 9/11/2001 were from Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Yemen; not one of them was from Afghanistan, Iraq or Pakistan - yet where is the U.S. "war on terror" being waged?. The beauty of supplying or supporting "international terrorists" is that no linkage is likely to be made to any particular "state sponsor" even if it is obvious by the massive cheering in the streets that occurs after a terrorist attack. Who would be blamed for the actions a rebel or "freedom fighter" in Syria that happened to be using a weapon "stolen" from whatever source? Pakistan proudly housed UBL for years yet is said to be a "friendly" (or at least neutral) nation, later locking up the doctor that helped us to kill him and yet still gets our foreign aid. Egypts elected president is ousted by the military yet that was not "officially" a coup. The only given in our foreign policy is its inconsistancy.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #12
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,306

    Re: Who dunnit?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I wouldn't know about a hammer/nail bit. I advocated different policies in Iraq, Libya, and Syria. In Syria I said at the beginning and continue to say now that we should take action to degrade their IADS C2, secure their CW stockpiles, and provide cover to fleeing civilians. In Libya I was in favor of regime change, and in Iraq I thought (and still think) that winning the post-fight to demonstrate an Arab-Democracy model was a strategic necessity. I supported the Presidents' policy towards Libya, and were I in Congress now, would be voting in favor of granting him the measures he has asked for.

    As for how the rebels would get ahold of gas - stealing from the Syrian regime is (I would suspect) far more plausible than a Saudi regime so blind to its' own self-interest as to give them that capability.
    I disagree. Saudi scumbaggery is manifest. They are the big financiers for this fiasco. Their deep CIA associations would get them access to gas. They are active players in this scenario and it absolutely minimizes the chances that the CW came from Syrian gov't stockpiles. You are wrong on all counts, including suggesting that we should have invaded and secured those CW stockpiles two years ago. On the other hand, you are consistent, consistently wrong, like a military person persistently propagandized to only see the gov't perspective.

  3. #13
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,155

    Re: Who dunnit?

    from the thread title, thought this was about the ariel castro 'suicide'
    nevermind
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #14
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: Who dunnit?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    from the thread title, thought this was about the ariel castro 'suicide'
    nevermind
    It's okay. It's highly likely that Castro gassed himself before he participated in the hanging. Either way, he's culpable and I think a small missile attack on his dead body is appropriate just to send a message.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Who dunnit?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I wouldn't know about a hammer/nail bit. I advocated different policies in Iraq, Libya, and Syria. In Syria I said at the beginning and continue to say now that we should take action to degrade their IADS C2, secure their CW stockpiles, and provide cover to fleeing civilians. In Libya I was in favor of regime change, and in Iraq I thought (and still think) that winning the post-fight to demonstrate an Arab-Democracy model was a strategic necessity. I supported the Presidents' policy towards Libya, and were I in Congress now, would be voting in favor of granting him the measures he has asked for.

    As for how the rebels would get ahold of gas - stealing from the Syrian regime is (I would suspect) far more plausible than a Saudi regime so blind to its' own self-interest as to give them that capability.
    I disagree with most of your positions, but not that those were your positions.

    You're right about most likely between the two, but still we can't be sure of which or any third or forth options, whatever those might be.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #16
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,155

    Re: Who dunnit?

    doesn't this boil down to a war between the shiite leaning alawite's who support assad versus the sunni supported alliance of al qaeda/nusra and the muslim brotherhood

    the alawite's tend toward a secular governance whereas the sunni's expect government to be driven by islamic ideologies

    which causes me to wonder why our nation's support is directed toward those who perpetrated 9/11 ... or have we forgotten that event already

    yes, the house of saud wants its fellow sunnis to prevail, and the israelis are aligned against hezbolla, but is that good reason for US involvement in this civil/islamic war?


    listen to what the russians had to say after seeing the 'proof' provided to them from the US/UK

    ... "That which our American partners have shown us both in the past and recently…absolutely has not convinced us," Mr. Lavrov said.

    "There are no facts, there is just dialogue about 'what we know for sure,'" Mr. Lavrov said. "And when we ask for more detailed confirmation, they say, 'You know, it's all secret, so we can't show you.' That means such facts aren't there." ...
    Russia Dismisses U.S. Evidence of Chemical-Weapons Use by Assad Regime - WSJ.com

    "I think the evidence is going to be overwhelming. If the president of Russia chooses yet again to ignore it, that's his choice," Mr. Kerry said.
    yea, kerry so convinces me with this argument - about evidence he is yet to be able to reveal

    unlike the absent WMDs used to justify another misguided military adventure, let's make sure this time around

    was this a ruse by the rebels to insert the USA into a war it cannot hope to win without America's participation

    let's examine our administration's "logic": the enemy of my enemy is my friend, even if it is al qaeda
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #17
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Who dunnit?

    This looks more like the puppet-masters at work.

    Iraq is done. Afghanistan is coming to an end. Without a war, we won't need more extremely expensive weapons. The "job creators" will lose revenue. So, isn't this convenient?

    I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist but there seems to be some odd consistencies between each and every Administration. No matter the party, we always have to have a little warfare going on so....the "job creators" won't suffer.

    What a bunch of tools (and fools) we elect.

  8. #18
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: Who dunnit?

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    This looks more like the puppet-masters at work.

    Iraq is done. Afghanistan is coming to an end. Without a war, we won't need more extremely expensive weapons. The "job creators" will lose revenue. So, isn't this convenient?

    I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist but there seems to be some odd consistencies between each and every Administration. No matter the party, we always have to have a little warfare going on so....the "job creators" won't suffer.

    What a bunch of tools (and fools) we elect.
    Harder to push for any defense spending cuts in these "times of war". Harder to push for social safety net program cuts in these "economic hard times". In "times like these" we cannot reduce gov't spending.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Who dunnit?

    I don´t know, but It seems that the Syrian government had much to lose and little to gain with a chemical attack and the opposite is true of the rebels.

  10. #20
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,419

    Re: Who dunnit?

    Our classified assessments have been shared with the U.S. Congress and key international partners. To protect sources and methods, we cannot publicly release all available intelligence – but what follows is an unclassified summary of the U.S. Intelligence Community’s analysis of what took place...

    We have intelligence that leads us to assess that Syrian chemical weapons personnel – including personnel assessed to be associated with the SSRC – were preparing chemical munitions prior to the attack. In the three days prior to the attack, we collected streams of human, signals and geospatial intelligence that reveal regime activities that we assess were associated with preparations for a chemical weapons attack.

    Syrian chemical weapons personnel were operating in the Damascus suburb of ‘Adra from Sunday, August 18 until early in the morning on Wednesday, August 21 near an area that the regime uses to mix chemical weapons, including sarin. On August 21, a Syrian regime element prepared for a chemical weapons attack in the Damascus area, including through the utilization of gas masks. Our intelligence sources in the Damascus area did not detect any indications in the days prior to the attack that opposition affiliates were planning to use chemical weapons...

    Multiple streams of intelligence indicate that the regime executed a rocket and artillery attack against the Damascus suburbs in the early hours of August 21. Satellite detections corroborate that attacks from a regime-controlled area struck neighborhoods where the chemical attacks reportedly occurred – including Kafr Batna, Jawbar, ‘Ayn Tarma, Darayya, and Mu’addamiyah. This includes the detection of rocket launches from regime controlled territory early in the morning, approximately 90 minutes before the first report of a chemical attack appeared in social media. The lack of flight activity or missile launches also leads us to conclude that the regime used rockets in the attack...

    To conclude, there is a substantial body of information that implicates the Syrian government’s responsibility in the chemical weapons attack that took place on August 21.As indicated, there is additional intelligence that remains classified because of sources and methods concerns that is being provided to Congress and international partners.
    Government Assessment of the Syrian Government


    Bring out the Truthers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •