View Poll Results: Do you carry with one in the chamber?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 54.55%
  • No

    14 31.82%
  • I don't believe private citizens should have guns

    1 2.27%
  • Rutubega

    5 11.36%
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 180

Thread: Do you carry one in the chamber?[W:26]

  1. #61
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Seriously? This is a consideration in your life? Or is it just an indulgence of macho juvenile fantasies.
    I have a two-year old son that I often carry in my arms. When I carry him, I use my left arm in case there's some reason I need my right arm for emergency purposes. If I carried a gun on me, which I personally do not, I would often find myself in a position where I only have one arm free.

    Pretty macho and juvenile, right?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #62
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    You don't have to live in Somalia, or Chicago for that matter....
    Chicago's crime has been greatly exaggerated by the partisan idiots in the media (We're on pace for the lowest murder rate in this city since the 1960's and crime is WAY down). Please don't perpetrate the nonsense by making a comparison to Somalia as this kind of nonsense undermines an intelligent discussion about guns.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    30n x 90w
    Last Seen
    11-27-13 @ 09:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,192

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Chicago's crime has been greatly exaggerated by the partisan idiots in the media (We're on pace for the lowest murder rate in this city since the 1960's and crime is WAY down). Please don't perpetrate the nonsense by making a comparison to Somalia as this kind of nonsense undermines an intelligent discussion about guns.
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...mc&output=html

    As of monday 9/2/2013

    Chicago -274 murders
    NYC -215
    Detroit -197
    Philadelphia -163
    Baltimore -153
    L.A. -140
    New Orleans -92
    St.Louis -70

    Chicago is one of the deadliest cities in america.
    If you look carefully at the link you may notice some trends that hold true in all of the cities above, also.

  4. #64
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    01-05-18 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,296

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

    No. We decided three kids was enough.

    Weird poll.

  5. #65
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

    Quote Originally Posted by P. Kersey View Post
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...mc&output=html

    As of monday 9/2/2013

    Chicago -274 murders
    NYC -215
    Detroit -197
    Philadelphia -163
    Baltimore -153
    L.A. -140
    New Orleans -92
    St.Louis -70

    Chicago is one of the deadliest cities in america.
    If you look carefully at the link you may notice some trends that hold true in all of the cities above, also.
    Let's look at those numbers honestly by comparing populations. On that list, only NY and LA have larger populations than Chicago. The rest have at least 1.2 million fewer people. So LA and New york are safer by virtue of having larger populations and fewer murders (leading to a much lower murder rate). The rest actually require some mathematical analysis to determine relative "safety".

    In order of population, removing NY and LA, we have:

    Chicago: 2.7 million
    Philadelphia: 1.54 million
    Detroit: 700,000
    Baltimore: 620,000
    New Oreleans: 370,000
    St. Louis: 320,000

    So when we look at Chicago's 274 murders and compare that to our 2.7 million population, our murder rate is about 10.1 per 100,000
    For Philadelphia. we have 163 murders compared to a population of 1.54 million population, leading to a rate of 10.5 per 100,000
    For Detroit it's 197 murders for a 700,000 population, leading to a rate of 28.1 per 100,000!
    For Baltimore, we take 153 from a 620,000 population, and get a rate of 24.6 per 100,000!
    New Orleans? 24.8 per 100,000!
    St Louis? 21.8 per 100,000!

    Your city is more than twice as deadly as Chicago. TWICE as deadly! Why don't people talk about THAT "warzone"?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    30n x 90w
    Last Seen
    11-27-13 @ 09:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,192

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Let's look at those numbers honestly by comparing populations. On that list, only NY and LA have larger populations than Chicago. The rest have at least 1.2 million fewer people. So LA and New york are safer by virtue of having larger populations and fewer murders (leading to a much lower murder rate). The rest actually require some mathematical analysis to determine relative "safety".

    In order of population, removing NY and LA, we have:

    Chicago: 2.7 million
    Philadelphia: 1.54 million
    Detroit: 700,000
    Baltimore: 620,000
    New Oreleans: 370,000
    St. Louis: 320,000

    So when we look at Chicago's 274 murders and compare that to our 2.7 million population, our murder rate is about 10.1 per 100,000
    For Philadelphia. we have 163 murders compared to a population of 1.54 million population, leading to a rate of 10.5 per 100,000
    For Detroit it's 197 murders for a 700,000 population, leading to a rate of 28.1 per 100,000!
    For Baltimore, we take 153 from a 620,000 population, and get a rate of 24.6 per 100,000!
    New Orleans? 24.8 per 100,000!
    St Louis? 21.8 per 100,000!

    Your city is more than twice as deadly as Chicago. TWICE as deadly! Why don't people talk about THAT "warzone"?


    You can't be pleased with a murder rate of 10.1 per 100k

    N.O. has been called the murder capital of the world in the past. It may well be now. I don't have the data and I don't really care. It's horrific.

    There are "NO GO" areas of the city. Care to guess why?
    ..and bro, we do talk about the problem here...ALL THE TIME. It's no secret and it has been noticed by the media. Hey, we're sick of it, believe that.


    Did you happen to notice any trends in the spreadsheet? Those same trends hold true in every city on the list.
    Now..how is THAT problem going to be addressed?

  7. #67
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

    Quote Originally Posted by P. Kersey View Post
    You can't be pleased with a murder rate of 10.1 per 100k
    Pleased with it? Of course not. I've been active in trying to lower it by providing therapy to at-risk youths in the past. I want it lower, of course, but I also want an honest portrayal of what goes on here. There are many cities which are far more dangerous.

    N.O. has been called the murder capital of the world in the past. It may well be now. I don't have the data and I don't really care. It's horrific.

    There are "NO GO" areas of the city. Care to guess why?
    ..and bro, we do talk about the problem here...ALL THE TIME. It's no secret and it has been noticed by the media. Hey, we're sick of it, believe that.
    Exactly. And when partisan bull**** like gun control/anti-gun control dominates the discussion, no solutions are ever going to be found. That's one of the big reasons why I am so adamantly opposed to the misportrayals of Chicago. they are employed by both sides to promote pure bull****.

    I've personally taken action and have tried to have a direct effect on the issue. I'm but one man, and can only do so much. If everyone who was "outraged" by these things actually did something directly, instead of this tangential bull**** we see from politicians for scoring political points, the problem would be solved.

    Carrying guns isn't going to lower our murder rate, nor is banning them going to do **** to lower it. Educating people, going out into those "no go" neighborhoods and being the change is going to make a ****ing difference. I've done it. It's not hard.


    Did you happen to notice any trends in the spreadsheet? Those same trends hold true in every city on the list.
    Now..how is THAT problem going to be addressed?
    Most of them happen in the poorest neighborhoods in this city. It's only going to get addressed when people slap on some balls and go out there and make a difference, leading by example, and doing something. That starts with recognizing the real problems (rather than all of the bull**** that gets talked about) and becoming willing to provide the example which children in these areas can emulate. Help them with school. Show them that they can do it.

    The thing is, it's ****ing HARD. You grow to really like the kids you work with and the sad truth is that you won't be able to help them all. Some will have too much bull**** at home or on their street to overcome. Some will end up dead or in jail before they are 25. It sucks. It's painful to allow yourself to care about them. To realize that they aren't "thugs" or "savages", but that they all start off as cute little kids who are in an incredibly ****ed up and unfair environment.

    And that's why more people don't do it, and those who do don't do it for long. It's ****ing horrible. It burns you out. Fast. It's easy to talk about the problem, so that's what people do instead of making a difference.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    30n x 90w
    Last Seen
    11-27-13 @ 09:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,192

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Pleased with it? Of course not. I've been active in trying to lower it by providing therapy to at-risk youths in the past. I want it lower, of course, but I also want an honest portrayal of what goes on here. There are many cities which are far more dangerous.



    Exactly. And when partisan bull**** like gun control/anti-gun control dominates the discussion, no solutions are ever going to be found. That's one of the big reasons why I am so adamantly opposed to the misportrayals of Chicago. they are employed by both sides to promote pure bull****.

    I've personally taken action and have tried to have a direct effect on the issue. I'm but one man, and can only do so much. If everyone who was "outraged" by these things actually did something directly, instead of this tangential bull**** we see from politicians for scoring political points, the problem would be solved.

    Carrying guns isn't going to lower our murder rate, nor is banning them going to do **** to lower it. Educating people, going out into those "no go" neighborhoods and being the change is going to make a ****ing difference. I've done it. It's not hard.




    Most of them happen in the poorest neighborhoods in this city. It's only going to get addressed when people slap on some balls and go out there and make a difference, leading by example, and doing something. That starts with recognizing the real problems (rather than all of the bull**** that gets talked about) and becoming willing to provide the example which children in these areas can emulate. Help them with school. Show them that they can do it.

    The thing is, it's ****ing HARD. You grow to really like the kids you work with and the sad truth is that you won't be able to help them all. Some will have too much bull**** at home or on their street to overcome. Some will end up dead or in jail before they are 25. It sucks. It's painful to allow yourself to care about them. To realize that they aren't "thugs" or "savages", but that they all start off as cute little kids who are in an incredibly ****ed up and unfair environment.

    And that's why more people don't do it, and those who do don't do it for long. It's ****ing horrible. It burns you out. Fast. It's easy to talk about the problem, so that's what people do instead of making a difference.
    Good reply.

    Disarming law abiding citizens will not make criminals disarm. It only creates more victims.
    Doesn't chicago, for instance, have strict gun laws?
    Unfortunately criminals, by definition of the word, don't tend to obey the law.

    Yes..we must educate and discourage and promote stable homes and discuss and set examples and provide therapy and counseling and abolish poverty and ...etc...etc...

    The best way to protect yourself is to arm yourself ....until that day far off in the misty future when humans are all peaceful and benevolent and mental illness and envy and jealousy and crime cease to exist and everyone has the same amount of money and everyone gets free lollypops and balloons and pony rides.

    Meantime, humans being flawed and imperfect, are going to continue to commit crime.


    Legally carrying WILL lower crime and it wouldn't really take very long. Criminals will learn that it might not be safe to attack random people after a few of them get dropped.

  9. #69
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

    Quote Originally Posted by P. Kersey View Post
    Good reply.

    Disarming law abiding citizens will not make criminals disarm. It only creates more victims.
    Doesn't chicago, for instance, have strict gun laws?
    Unfortunately criminals, by definition of the word, don't tend to obey the law.

    Yes..we must educate and discourage and promote stable homes and discuss and set examples and provide therapy and counseling and abolish poverty and ...etc...etc...

    The best way to protect yourself is to arm yourself ....until that day far off in the misty future when humans are all peaceful and benevolent and mental illness and envy and jealousy and crime cease to exist and everyone has the same amount of money and everyone gets free lollypops and balloons and pony rides.

    Meantime, humans being flawed and imperfect, are going to continue to commit crime.


    Legally carrying WILL lower crime and it wouldn't really take very long. Criminals will learn that it might not be safe to attack random people after a few of them get dropped.
    Chicago's gun laws are, generally speaking, retarded. But that doesn't create our problems any more than the stupid laws fix them. The gun laws have no effect on crime in any direction. The only purpose these laws serve is to allow the people unwilling to put forth real effort the ability grasp onto the warm and fuzzy mythological belief that they "made a difference".

    Law-abiding citizens should be allowed to carry. Not because it will lower crime but because it gives people a chance to defend themselves. It won't lower crime in any meaningful way, but it might prevent some murders (or at least make the one who would have done the killing become the one who is killed).

    The reason it won't lower crime is because the people attacked here are not "random" people. They are almost always gang bangers who are being shot at. It's the other people in the area who usually get hit, but the people being shot at are usually the exact opposite of random. That's why carrying won't lower crime rates around here in any meaningful way. If you are the innocent bystander who gets hit, you won't have much of an opportunity to defend yourself.

    Legal carry will merely provide a certain degree of individual protection for the occasional random crime that does occur. Women are more likely to be targeted in such random crime, so they are the people who should be doing the most carrying.

    And, for the record, the best way to protect yourself is to keep your head on a swivel and knowing what's happening around you. In the event that that approach fails, the next best thing is being prepared to defend yourself.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #70
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,313

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    My pragmatic choices have been made based on life experiences, too, and I'll flat-out guarantee you I'm more likely to be struck by lightening while pissing on a pine tree than I am to be shot at. I'm 59 years old and I've seen real-live handguns twice in my life. I've hunted since I was 16 and never had a round in the chamber unless I was ready to shoot. And I never felt fear anywhere, any time of night.
    Maybe I'd be different if I lived where you do. Probably I'd have bugged out long ago.

    As I said, I don't know where you live. I have a Canadian friend who literally lives way back in the woods in a low-population area well away from anything that might be called a city, and he could probably literally say that he is in more danger from bears than from any human. Most people however, can't say that.

    Personally, I live in a semi-rural area, on the edge between suburbia and farmland; though I work in town and spend considerable time in high-risk areas there. My semi-rural area is one where, for a long time, people tended to feel safe; twenty years ago many didn't bother locking their doors even at night. Unfortunately that changed; we have an Interstate highway running nearby and everything comes up and down it... also we get a different character of people moving out here in recent years than was once the case (20 years ago, everyone knew everyone and half were related to some degree, lol).

    In recent years we've had a rash of thefts out of yards, barns and outbuildings. We had one homeowner shoot a daytime burglar about 300y from where I live.

    Two years ago, we had a serial killer on a hot streak attack our neighborhood. He would approach people at home about buying hay or produce or whatever, then murder them. Among his first victims were a friend of the family I've known for decades and his daughter. He killed five times before being caught. It was a terrible shock to those in this area who felt it was a safe area.

    When I'm not in town, the odds of being targeted for violence by a criminal may still be statistically long odds... but as I've said, that is no comfort to the person (or their family) who actually "wins the lottery" and gets attacked, and the consequences can be life-changing or life-ending.

    Given that, and my LE experience which showed me how extreme violence is more common that most people think and the consequences often most severe, I choose to be aware and prepared for such an occurrence, even if it is a less-than-probable event.

    To each his own... we make our choices, and we live with the results of same.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •