View Poll Results: Do you carry with one in the chamber?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 54.55%
  • No

    14 31.82%
  • I don't believe private citizens should have guns

    1 2.27%
  • Rutubega

    5 11.36%
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 180

Thread: Do you carry one in the chamber?[W:26]

  1. #31
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I don't keep a round in the chamber regardless of a safety, as I don't think it's a safe practice, but I tend to be overly cautious, since that's what I was taught.

    My Dad tended to load revolvers with an empty chamber under the hammer, as an extra safety precaution. This was probably something HIS father taught him, from the days when revolvers mostly lacked internal safety mechanisms to prevent accidental discharge from something hitting the hammer... and it goes back further to cap-and-ball revolvers too.


    But it really isn't necessary with modern firearms. As long as you keep your finger outside the trigger guard, an AD is extremely improbable.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #32
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,511
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Moderator's Warning:
    Do you carry one in the chamber?[W:26]Please stop the personal comments and address the topic.
    Sorry. Acknowledged.

  3. #33
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I tell students that if they cannot practice constantly to stick with one gun so they don't have to think about the operation in a crisis. That's why I am a big fan of J frame revolvers. not much to go wrong and while most people can shoot say a compact auto (like a Glock 19) more accurately, I find the J frame revolvers far more reliable and more accurate than the micro autos (like the little Kahrs, the Kimber SOLOs or the Ruger LCPs)
    sounds like good advice and i agree
    while im not expert ive done enough playing around and reading to know that there are just some guns that act differently and if you switch in a panic situation and arent prepared it may not work out well.

    I knew a lady at work that bought a gun, a lady smith. SHe got it because of an abusive ex. We were talking about it one day and though she had it for 6 months she never shot it or any gun for that matter! I let her know thats the worse thing ever, that she is more likely to hurt herself or the wrong person. We shot together for a while, she got pretty good and she was glad she did because she admitted that without practice if she shot that in a panic she probably would have just dropped it after the first shot.

    It amazes me sometimes how people get a gun and do nothing with it.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #34
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    My Dad tended to load revolvers with an empty chamber under the hammer, as an extra safety precaution. This was probably something HIS father taught him, from the days when revolvers mostly lacked internal safety mechanisms to prevent accidental discharge from something hitting the hammer... and it goes back further to cap-and-ball revolvers too.


    But it really isn't necessary with modern firearms. As long as you keep your finger outside the trigger guard, an AD is extremely improbable.
    and as I noted, an empty chamber UNDER the hammer of a revolver does not SLOW your response to an attack, it just means you have one less round

    an empty chamber in a semi auto DOES slow up your response time



  5. #35
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    sounds like good advice and i agree
    while im not expert ive done enough playing around and reading to know that there are just some guns that act differently and if you switch in a panic situation and arent prepared it may not work out well.

    I knew a lady at work that bought a gun, a lady smith. SHe got it because of an abusive ex. We were talking about it one day and though she had it for 6 months she never shot it or any gun for that matter! I let her know thats the worse thing ever, that she is more likely to hurt herself or the wrong person. We shot together for a while, she got pretty good and she was glad she did because she admitted that without practice if she shot that in a panic she probably would have just dropped it after the first shot.

    It amazes me sometimes how people get a gun and do nothing with it.
    I tell people a gun is like a scalpel -just buying one doesn't mean you can perform surgery with it



  6. #36
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    1.) No, I don't fail.
    2.)I live somewhere else.
    3.) I don't need to be always armed and ready to repel boarders. Or robbers or burglars.
    1.)yes your post was a total failure onthe topic at hand because it was all fantasy based on nonsense and assumptions instead of reality which was proven.
    2.) doesn't matter where you live, ignoring common sense is always the wrong move, the topic is about "do you chamber"
    3.) me neither, ill probably never have to use my gun in self defense but since i have a gun the smart thing to do is to no how to use it and have it ready in its best operational stage. again TOPIC based

    Like i said your post was a total fail, next time simply ask a honest question and your learn something lol
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Seriously? This is a consideration in your life? Or is it just an indulgence of macho juvenile fantasies.


    Those who are more casual CCW'ers tend to get criticized for not being sufficiently trained, sufficiently professional, etc, at get terms like "bubbas" and "gun toting rednecks" thrown at them. Those who DO get advanced training and take it very seriously get called walter-mitty types, macho fantasy ninjas or hyper-paranoid.

    This sort of criticism typically comes from the hoplophobic crowd, or those whose life experience has simply never included a time when they feared for their life at the hands of a criminal, and don't understand the legitimate concern of those who have had that experience... so we might as well ignore it.


    If you're going to carry, it is best to take it seriously and seek out quality training, and try to be the best CCW'er you reasonably can, given that most have limits on how much time and budget they can put into it.


    Agent J's concerns about situations where he might only have one hand available are perfectly legitimate and reasonable questions to ask within the context of CCW self-defense.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #38
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Those who are more casual CCW'ers tend to get criticized for not being sufficiently trained, sufficiently professional, etc, at get terms like "bubbas" and "gun toting rednecks" thrown at them. Those who DO get advanced training and take it very seriously get called walter-mitty types, macho fantasy ninjas or hyper-paranoid.

    This sort of criticism typically comes from the hoplophobic crowd, or those whose life experience has simply never included a time when they feared for their life at the hands of a criminal, and don't understand the legitimate concern of those who have had that experience... so we might as well ignore it.


    If you're going to carry, it is best to take it seriously and seek out quality training, and try to be the best CCW'er you reasonably can, given that most have limits on how much time and budget they can put into it.


    Agent J's concerns about situations where he might only have one hand available are perfectly legitimate and reasonable questions to ask within the context of CCW self-defense.
    Your analysis is sound and gun packers are damned by the anti defense crowd no matter what they do. But one of the reasons for the ridicule is that it involves self hating by the hoplophobes. Many anti rights advocates are fearful of their own lack of skill and courage and they see gun ownership as something that reminds them of their personal inadequacies. They ridicule gun carriers in an attempt to exorcise their own failings



  9. #39
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,691

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?[W:26]

    Modern firearms do not pose a significant risk of accidental discharge. A simple bump, or even a major blow, to the gun will not cause the firing pin to contact the chambered round. Assuming that you will have two hands available to operate the slide is like assuming that you won't need the gun at all. If you should be carrying a gun then you should be carrying it ready to draw and fire.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #40
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

    In answer to the OP, I always carry with a round in the chamber. My carry guns are DAO with internal safeties, no manual safety lever, and are in operation much like revolvers but with a lighter trigger. This is my preference since I grew up shooting revolvers. I've carried other types of autos and didn't much like SA or DA/SA or messing about with a manual safety. Given that DAO or LDA actions are what most professional agencies have gone to, there's a pretty established body of evidence that this is an effective action type.

    When I was a cop, we carried with a round in the chamber also. A weapon that isn't ready to use is of dubious utility, given that trouble is often something that appears suddenly.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •