View Poll Results: You're the Congressman, and Your Vote on Syria

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

    16 19.75%
  • Nay

    65 80.25%
  • Not Present

    0 0%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 146

Thread: You're The Congressman... You Make the Call on Syria (Yea... or Nay.. or...) and why

  1. #11
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: You're The Congressman... You Make the Call on Syria (Yea... or Nay.. or...) and

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I think that would effectively castrate President Obama in the eyes of the world. That wouldn't be a good thing. He could have done this all by his lonesome; he chose not to for a reason. He knows it'll pass Congress, and THAT'S the message he needs to send right now -- at least IMHO.
    Even though I'm not a fan of Obama I ake no comfort in his potential loss of face. But he brought this on himself. And just engaging in some symbolic bombing in order "not to lose face" in reality results in even greater loss of face.

    Up to the US Congress.

  2. #12
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: You're The Congressman... You Make the Call on Syria (Yea... or Nay.. or...) and

    I'd vote no...if the International community feels that using chemical weapons is a breach of international law and requires punishment...then the International community needs to act...not the US and France.

    It's also not a "loss of face"...It's how things are suppose to work. I'm actually glad that he's going to Congress to ask to attack another country when they provide no direct threat to the US. Guess what...lobbing missiles and air strikes are an act of war. We might not be willing to land troops there and they are unable to attack the US directly but it's an act of war.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  3. #13
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: You're The Congressman... You Make the Call on Syria (Yea... or Nay.. or...) and

    Quote Originally Posted by Artevelde View Post
    If he gets the go ahead and then indeed conducts the sort of limited strike he proposes the message that will go out is that the US is big on showing its frustration by throwing some missiles around, but that this is just empty posturing because Assad will survive and carry on.
    The goal is not and should not be to remove Assad from power. The goal should be to show that using chemical weapons will cost more than you will gain from it. That is why limited strikes is appropriate, while ground troops are not to my mind.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #14
    Guru
    Carleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,622

    Re: You're The Congressman... You Make the Call on Syria (Yea... or Nay.. or...) and

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I think that would effectively castrate President Obama in the eyes of the world. That wouldn't be a good thing. He could have done this all by his lonesome; he chose not to for a reason. He knows it'll pass Congress, and THAT'S the message he needs to send right now -- at least IMHO.
    I agree. We need to be united in this. I hope they can reach a reasonable decision.
    "Being President doesn't change who you are, it reveals who you are"

  5. #15
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: You're The Congressman... You Make the Call on Syria (Yea... or Nay.. or...) and

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The goal is not and should not be to remove Assad from power. The goal should be to show that using chemical weapons will cost more than you will gain from it. That is why limited strikes is appropriate, while ground troops are not to my mind.
    If the only point of a limited attack is a coercive cost-benefit analysis, then why don't we just tax him into behavioral compliance?
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  6. #16
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: You're The Congressman... You Make the Call on Syria (Yea... or Nay.. or...) and

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The goal is not and should not be to remove Assad from power. The goal should be to show that using chemical weapons will cost more than you will gain from it. That is why limited strikes is appropriate, while ground troops are not to my mind.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm also aganst a larger interventio to remove Assad from power. But if the point of the attack is just going to be throwing a few bombs, then this will only demonstrate impotent frustration and will not at all be an unacceptable cost to Assad. It will send the message that if you use chemical weapons, the worst that can happen is that you get a slap on the wrist. That is worse than not responding militarily at all.

  7. #17
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: You're The Congressman... You Make the Call on Syria (Yea... or Nay.. or...) and

    Quote Originally Posted by Carleen View Post
    I agree. We need to be united in this. I hope they can reach a reasonable decision.
    Attacking Syria just to save the President's face is not a reasonable decision. Not even a rational one.

  8. #18
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: You're The Congressman... You Make the Call on Syria (Yea... or Nay.. or...) and

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    If the only point of a limited attack is a coercive cost-benefit analysis, then why don't we just tax him into behavioral compliance?
    Because you can't tax him. Sanctions are not going to work simply because too many countries will still deal with them.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #19
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: You're The Congressman... You Make the Call on Syria (Yea... or Nay.. or...) and

    I'd vote "neigh" to the horse's ass's request.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  10. #20
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: You're The Congressman... You Make the Call on Syria (Yea... or Nay.. or...) and

    Quote Originally Posted by Artevelde View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm also aganst a larger interventio to remove Assad from power. But if the point of the attack is just going to be throwing a few bombs, then this will only demonstrate impotent frustration and will not at all be an unacceptable cost to Assad. It will send the message that if you use chemical weapons, the worst that can happen is that you get a slap on the wrist. That is worse than not responding militarily at all.
    A few bombs can do some pretty significant damage to his military power. He can withstand it certainly, but it will be a significant cost.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •