View Poll Results: Who should has the job of World Police?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • America is the world's remaining superpower. It's our job.

    8 18.18%
  • Let Russia become the new world police

    1 2.27%
  • China as the most people so it should be their job

    1 2.27%
  • Regional associations deal with regional matters; the Arab League, NAFTA, NATO.

    8 18.18%
  • The UN with its own standing military, of which America also subjected to.

    8 18.18%
  • Other

    18 40.91%
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 162

Thread: Superpower: its a tough job but somebody's got to do it.

  1. #61
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,248

    Re: Superpower: its a tough job but somebody's got to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    The first article is a July 2012 report of energy resources in the USA.

    Unleashing the North American Energy Colossus: Hydrocarbons Can Fuel Growth and Prosperity

    This is an article regarding oil industry investment in natural gas.

    Big Oil Companies Move Toward Natural Gas


    Like I said I "think" major oil companies are buying up likely resource areas, primarily because it is the smart thing to do. I suppose I could research each major oil company's annual report to find which ones might be doing so...but I am just too lazy.
    You said big oil was buying up "alternate" energy resources. I read that as "alternative" resources.

  2. #62
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Superpower: its a tough job but somebody's got to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    There's a lot of sentiment lately over scaling back America's role outside of our own borders. The position of "global beacon of democracy," "the world's only remaining superpower," etc., etc., comes with what some consider to be a duty to therest of the world that includes being the world's police in the most extreme cases of state sponsored terror. Some accept tgat we have that as part of who we are. Others think only if and when we get a consensus and cooperation from most other governments albeit with our leadership. Others still take the position that its not our concern when atrocities occur outside of the United States. Nature hates a vacuum however and if we turn our backs on the role of global peacekeepers I wonder is the isolationists has considered that and if so do they have a preference on how the world community should respond to atrocities.


    There was no "its no one's job" option so I voted other.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #63
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,336

    Re: Superpower: its a tough job but somebody's got to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    You said big oil was buying up "alternate" energy resources. I read that as "alternative" resources.
    Bubba, I trust the instincts of the big oil boys. They took a bottom-line monetary hit on wind/solar when they determined it wasn't for them at this time. I'll go along with what they decide they should do now.

  4. #64
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,248

    Re: Superpower: its a tough job but somebody's got to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Bubba, I trust the instincts of the big oil boys. They took a bottom-line monetary hit on wind/solar when they determined it wasn't for them at this time. I'll go along with what they decide they should do now.
    I think I mis-read what the Captain had said.

  5. #65
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,535
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Superpower: its a tough job but somebody's got to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    You said big oil was buying up "alternate" energy resources. I read that as "alternative" resources.
    Go back and look at what you quoted from me.

    I am not responsible for how you take things.

    It is also clear that I am not stating a "fact" but only what I "think they may have been," so I don't get your point.
    Last edited by Captain Adverse; 09-01-13 at 09:41 PM.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  6. #66
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Superpower: its a tough job but somebody's got to do it.

    I have said all this before...
    Move the UN to Jerusalem - where the action is...or as close as possible...
    Give the UN authority to save lives, to intervene as necessary..
    Now, the UN does nothing - or so it seems...
    why ?

  7. #67
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Superpower: its a tough job but somebody's got to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Goshin, do you accept America's economic interests are of a 'global nature'?

    Paul

    They are at this time yes. However, that isn't in and of itself a sufficient reason for sticking our nose into every third conflict on the planet, IMO. Furthermore, I think we need to draw those horns in a little and care more about what's going on at home than halfway around the world... we have real troubles here that need to be dealt with, beams that need to be pulled before we worry about the mote in our brother's eye.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #68
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Superpower: its a tough job but somebody's got to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Ah, thus the root reason we are seemingly more interested in the Mid-East and the Mid-West. The free flow of oil and stability in the oil rich Middle East is our vital interest and has driven nearly of of our foreign policy since the end of the Cold War where even then it placed second.

    That has a lot to do with it yes. Thing is though, the majority of our oil imports don't come from the Middle East anymore. We import a huge amount from South America, for instance, but you don't see us intervening there twice per decade.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-16-13 @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,817

    Re: Superpower: its a tough job but somebody's got to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    They are at this time yes. However, that isn't in and of itself a sufficient reason for sticking our nose into every third conflict on the planet, IMO. Furthermore, I think we need to draw those horns in a little and care more about what's going on at home than halfway around the world... we have real troubles here that need to be dealt with, beams that need to be pulled before we worry about the mote in our brother's eye.
    The gas attacks and the location are the problems here. Had it been small arms in the middle of Africa, the football trades would have been ahead of them on the local news.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-16-13 @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,817

    Re: Superpower: its a tough job but somebody's got to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    That has a lot to do with it yes. Thing is though, the majority of our oil imports don't come from the Middle East anymore. We import a huge amount from South America, for instance, but you don't see us intervening there twice per decade.
    That's because it is mostly under control, just the way we like it.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •