View Poll Results: thougts about suicide

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • l never attempted to commit suicide

    36 36.00%
  • l tried to commit suicide once

    6 6.00%
  • l tried to commit suicide more than once

    6 6.00%
  • l thought about commiting suicide but never attempted

    33 33.00%
  • l never thought about commiting suicide

    28 28.00%
  • l usually tend to commit suicide but always prevent myself

    3 3.00%
  • other

    9 9.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 217

Thread: commiting suicide ?

  1. #141
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: commiting suicide ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Sorry, but the shame falls on the person who commits suicide. They're the one being selfish by taking their life out of the lives of loved ones, especially if they are a parent.
    I understand where you are coming from, as there was once a time when I could not identify with the world of the depressed. That ended when I experienced a severe form of it myself, and then I knew what was really happening in the minds of those who reach that point of desperation. When someone reaches the depths of depression where they commit suicide, they are most likely not thinking rationally. That is easy to not understand, when all your life, you have functioned in a rational state of mind, and cannot see how anyone could ever reach that point. The "hell" is not where they go to after committing suicide- the hell is where they are mentally and emotionally at this point of desperation. It's easy to pass judgement on the actions of people when you cannot see the world from their point of view. IF it is some kind of mortal sin, as many seem to believe, then that is something that the individual and God will have to deal with at that point, and it's not a call that you or I can make.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #142
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,176

    Re: commiting suicide ?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I never had any issues until my late thirties, and when it first started being apparent that I was dealing with depression and/or anxiety, I was taken totally off-guard, never having experienced anything like this before. It took me about 12 years to learn what triggered it, how to handle it, and I found that I had to essentially change many of my views and ways of perceiving the world around me. I had to become much more flexible, much more understanding with myself, and stop fighting it, before it started to become manageable. I still tend to have issues during times of extreme emotional stress, but overall, my ability to cope is much better than it used to be. It doesn't frighten me anymore, the way it used to. I feel great empathy for those who cannot reach a level of understanding and tolerance for it, and it seems that there are many people who can't find that understanding. I think that for me, what helps is that I tend to be pretty highly emotional, but also have a decent balance of cognitive function, so that I can still think relatively clearly, and function at a normal level during those periods of instability. It certainly isn't easy, and there have been times when my strongest impulse was to withdraw from the world completely.
    I tend to think of depression just like being psychotic, except the voices aren't perceptual -- they're thoughts instead.

    That in mind, I think how well someone can adjust to the mindset of their depression depends on what it is "saying" to them.

    The people who tend to lose their life to it are the people who have depression that says "Your existence is causing harm to the world." They see killing themselves as not just an end to their pain, but as a positive for everyone in their lives.

    I'm lucky my depression never "said" that particular thing. Given how bad it could get in sheer depth, I don't know that I would have survived that.

    As far as getting a higher tolerance for the norm of social interactions and living mandates... well, I am one of those people who is incapable of it, as far as I know. I tried for years before I gave up and concluded I would have to do something else. And I still try whenever the occasion arises, never to any degree of success. It's like I'm actually allergic to it.

    But that normal world has some stuff I need in it too. In that way, I am pretty damn unlucky.

    It's easier for people who don't mind living in the societal underbelly. They can just go do that. I'm not one such person.

    I am enough a creature of both routine and need for accomplishment that I can't completely extricate myself from the normal world and just go live on one of the fringes full-time. I've got to straddle the fence somewhere.

    I know a couple other people like me. None of them have succeeded. Either they drown in the fringe, usually just because they see no purpose in caring for themselves, or otherwise they collapse in the normal world, because the contact level with negative social modes is too high.

    Several of them were also writers. I think it's that combination of a methodical nature, and an airy creative nature, that is necessary when you're basically doing art through a technical skill set. And I think this is why writers tend to be so afflicted.

    I have never seen an example of someone like me developing a sustainable mode of living. And that is scary as hell. It makes me wonder if it's actually possible, or if I'm just SOL.

    What I can tell you is that I haven't been truly depressed in several years, and while I have yet to get the balance completely right, I haven't fallen off the fence either.

    It's a work in progress. And I won't know the answer to whether it's doable until I'm at the end of my life, and can look at whether or not I did it.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 09-02-13 at 01:29 AM.

  3. #143
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: commiting suicide ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    As far as getting a higher tolerance for the norm of social interactions and living mandates... well, I am one of those people who is incapable of it, as far as I know. I tried for years before I gave up and concluded I would have to do something else. And I still try whenever the occasion arises, never to any degree of success. It's like I'm actually allergic to it.

    But that normal world has some stuff I need in it too. In that way, I am pretty damn unlucky.

    It's easier for people who don't mind living in the societal underbelly. They can just go do that. I'm not one such person.

    I am enough a creature of both routine and need for accomplishment that I can't completely extricate myself from the normal world and just go live on one of the fringes full-time. I've got to straddle the fence somewhere.

    I know a couple other people like me. None of them have succeeded. Either they drown in the fringe, usually just because they see no purpose in caring for themselves, or otherwise they collapse in the normal world, because the contact level with negative social modes is too high.

    Several of them were also writers. I think it's that combination of a methodical nature, and an airy creative nature, that is necessary when you're basically doing art through a technical skill set. And I think this is why writers tend to be so afflicted.

    I have never seen an example of someone like me developing a sustainable mode of living. And that is scary as hell. It makes me wonder if it's actually possible, or if I'm just SOL.

    What I can tell you is that I haven't been truly depressed in several years, and while I have yet to get the balance completely right, I haven't fallen off the fence either.

    It's a work in progress. And I won't know the answer to whether it's doable until I'm at the end of my life, and can look at whether or not I did it.
    What you're getting at reminds me of comments I've heard from ex cons, that we've basically criminalized mental illness. They tell stories of inmates who don't even realize they're in prison and some who are basically catatonic from depression. Whereas in the past, these people would be hospitalized, today when their support network (which is often basically nothing) falls apart, they have little recourse but to commit crime, beg, or attempt suicide. The sad thing is I don't know which outcome is worst.

  4. #144
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    commiting suicide ?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    What you're getting at reminds me of comments I've heard from ex cons, that we've basically criminalized mental illness. They tell stories of inmates who don't even realize they're in prison and some who are basically catatonic from depression. Whereas in the past, these people would be hospitalized, today when their support network (which is often basically nothing) falls apart, they have little recourse but to commit crime, beg, or attempt suicide. The sad thing is I don't know which outcome is worst.
    We criminalize behavior, not illness. The problem MAY be failure to recognize illness sometimes, but sadly people who break laws and are dangerous will be detained regardless -- there's basically no way around it.

  5. #145
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:19 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,415

    Re: commiting suicide ?

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Option 6. I usually tend to commit suicide.
    You must be a Voodoo King.

  6. #146
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: commiting suicide ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    I tend to think of depression just like being psychotic, except the voices aren't perceptual -- they're thoughts instead.

    That in mind, I think how well someone can adjust to the mindset of their depression depends on what it is "saying" to them.

    The people who tend to lose their life to it are the people who have depression that says "Your existence is causing harm to the world." They see killing themselves as not just an end to their pain, but as a positive for everyone in their lives.
    What mine said to me was, "you're a loser, and a piece of crap, and aren't worthy of having a good life". That is when the real battle began for me. Although cognitively I knew that was not the case, emotionally, it was. It took much time and patience to resolve that conflict within myself. I had to learn to accept what I saw as the serious flaws in myself, and not only to accept them, but to appreciate them for the positives they had to offer in my life as a whole. I still have a tendency to step back into that mindset from time to time, but overall, I have ceased to see things in such stark contrasts, and can see in various shades and hues, if that makes any sense.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #147
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: commiting suicide ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    We criminalize behavior, not illness. The problem MAY be failure to recognize illness sometimes, but sadly people who break laws and are dangerous will be detained regardless -- there's basically no way around it.
    There is a way around it. The way we go about it is crazy itself. The mentally ill need treatment *before* they get to the point where they're reduced to stealing/begging, and guess what, that cuts down on crime too! It's really pathetic that 2/3 of MI are never treated.

  8. #148
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: commiting suicide ?

    As someone who I believe is just on the cusp of coming out of a depression. (I am just beginning to be able to visualize my life as it currently is without a horrible hopeless feeling). I am finding this thread to be interesting, especially as I apply it to my experience.

    So while unintentional, thank you everyone for that.

    For me, my source of depression has to do with some experiences in my childhood that threw me off badly enough that I never developed emotionally in some aspects. I had the twin hells of fixing myself and being depressed. Something I recommend to no one. It is far from fun to have to deal with some rather extreme stress.

    Right now, I am sitting at a labor day celebration, watching my kids sword fight, listening to a pretty good cover band, and waiting for fireworks. I am enjoying the hell out of the moment. Two weeks ago, I could be in the same situation and feel like ****. Today, I have a calendar full of things to do, all since thought of recently. I can imagine my future with some hope and joy. That feeling gets stronger daily. I have reconnected with parts of myself long since forgotten and fixed those broken pieces. Life is good.

    Depression comes in many forms and from many sources. Fixing mine required a lot of work, but I have my new basis for motivation and its stronger as I used to rely on others for joy and fun. Now I do it on my own (it still feels weird, I admit).

    Next week is a Linux user group meeting. Then its a monthly LARP meeting. Doing volunteer work at a local park and at church. Some other stuff. Thinking of doing cosplay.

    I would say the biggest lesson for me is that depression hits when you are disconnected from what brings you joy. When that happens there is nothing to counteract stress and it puts you in danger of going down with the ship.

    Everyone, please heed this advice. Find something that is totally yours in life and that brings you joy. I have the fortune of going to a church that always manages to give the perfect sermon for whatever I am facing that week. In this case, its the advice I just gave. Hang in to your passion, I didn't and it has taken me months to find new ones that work for me. Nobody should have to deal with that.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 09-02-13 at 09:34 PM.

  9. #149
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    commiting suicide ?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    There is a way around it. The way we go about it is crazy itself. The mentally ill need treatment *before* they get to the point where they're reduced to stealing/begging, and guess what, that cuts down on crime too!
    I'm not sure access or even early access would solve a great number more of these cases. Access to treatment overall in this country is not in fact that bad, all things considered. What I meant by "no way around it" was that people who we know are currently imminently dangerous are likely to be detained by the mental health system if not the legal system.

    It's really pathetic that 2/3 of MI are never treated.
    Would it still strike you as pathetic if, let's say, 2/3 of the mentally ill did not want treatment? It is not easy to justify mandatory treatment, and sometimes people with these problems wait a long time until a lot of damage is done in their lives before seeking help in good faith.

  10. #150
    Sage

    Scrabaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,579

    Re: commiting suicide ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    The mere expression of suicidality means the person is definitely not 100% serious,
    What a crock. My brother killed himself - he had told two people, both of which had the same attitude - that he wasn't serious. I hope they feel guilty for the rest of their lives.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •