View Poll Results: Should we put Martin Luther King Jr. on our currency?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes but only for regular circulated coins and or paper currency.

    16 21.33%
  • Yes but only for commemorative or special edition coins and or paper currency.

    7 9.33%
  • Both of the above

    10 13.33%
  • no

    42 56.00%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 84

Thread: Should we put Martin Luther King Jr. on our currency?

  1. #21
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Should we put Martin Luther King Jr. on our currency?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Mint a bigger $1.00 coin - but get rid of the $1.00 bill? What in the hell for? I would never use a $1.00 coin, but do use $1.00 bills *all the time* - they're not like the penny where we could possibly do without.

    But I'm fine with sticking him on a commemorative coin. I'm sort of surprised we have done this yet.
    The coin would last a lot longer than the bill, and would be easier to put into vending machines.

    Come to think of it, since the dollar is worth less than the dime used to be, why not have a $1 coin the size of a dime, phase out the nickel, penny, and quarter, have a $5 and maybe a $2.50 coin to replace the quarter, which is now worth about 2.5 cents anyway. The $10 bill would then be the lowest denomination of folding money, and worth what the dollar used to be worth.

    Then we could put MLK's picture on the $5 coin, and mine on the $1 coin for having thought of such a logical new system.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Should we put Martin Luther King Jr. on our currency?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    It would be easier to list the historical figures who didn't sleep around.
    Well Ok so that's a fair point.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Should we put Martin Luther King Jr. on our currency?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Should we put Martin Luther King Jr. on our currency?


    Yes but only for regular circulated coins and or paper currency.

    Yes but only for commemorative or special edition coins and or paper currency.

    Both of the above

    No



    I say yes but for regular circulated coins or paper currency.Because I think it should be something that regular people will use not something that only collectors will have their hands on. I think maybe a dime or twenty dollar bill.
    If we're going to put a new mug on our currency, let's create another bill or coin.

  4. #24
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Should we put Martin Luther King Jr. on our currency?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    The coin would last a lot longer than the bill, and would be easier to put into vending machines.

    Come to think of it, since the dollar is worth less than the dime used to be, why not have a $1 coin the size of a dime, phase out the nickel, penny, and quarter, have a $5 and maybe a $2.50 coin to replace the quarter, which is now worth about 2.5 cents anyway. The $10 bill would then be the lowest denomination of folding money, and worth what the dollar used to be worth.

    Then we could put MLK's picture on the $5 coin, and mine on the $1 coin for having thought of such a logical new system.
    Yeah that would be rather inconvenient. I don't want to start rummaging around my purse for coins so I can pay someone $22. Paper money is easy to get, and it stays where it's at.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #25
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Should we put Martin Luther King Jr. on our currency?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Yeah that would be rather inconvenient. I don't want to start rummaging around my purse for coins so I can pay someone $22. Paper money is easy to get, and it stays where it's at.
    You'd get used to it. Just use a coin purse.
    I used to keep a pocket full of coins that could actually be used to buy something. Now, I just dump them on the dresser, and then, when that soda costs $1.01, I get a bunch of worthless coins back in change, and dump them on the dresser, too. Now, that's inconvenient.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #26
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Should we put Martin Luther King Jr. on our currency?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    You'd get used to it. Just use a coin purse.
    I used to keep a pocket full of coins that could actually be used to buy something. Now, I just dump them on the dresser, and then, when that soda costs $1.01, I get a bunch of worthless coins back in change, and dump them on the dresser, too. Now, that's inconvenient.
    No I'd rather just be able to get the $1 out of the same place I get the $20, it's much easier and quicker. With the extra change I put it in one spot, and every now and then I get it exchanged for cash. Not inconvenient at all.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  7. #27
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should we put Martin Luther King Jr. on our currency?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Should we put Martin Luther King Jr. on our currency?


    Yes but only for regular circulated coins and or paper currency.

    Yes but only for commemorative or special edition coins and or paper currency.

    Both of the above

    No



    I say yes but for regular circulated coins or paper currency.Because I think it should be something that regular people will use not something that only collectors will have their hands on. I think maybe a dime or twenty dollar bill.
    Maybe on the day we actually realize his dream.

    Though in general I would say no. I know we've put some other folk on our currency from time to time; but I'd keep it Presidents. Maybe Bruce Campbell.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #28
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Should we put Martin Luther King Jr. on our currency?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    Eisenhower had a mistress in Europe.

    Rich and powerful men who don't have affairs (when models and actresses are lining up to jump into bed with them) are extremely rare.
    Benjamin Franklin was a playboy. I'm actually mildly offended Andrew Jackson is on the $20 considering his brutal treatment of Native Americans. Washington owned slaves and btw, his famous wooden dentures was partially made from the teeth of his slaves that he directed to be yanked out of their mouths probably without anesthesia.

    I say replace Jackson on the $20 and use Reagan instead. Then create a $3 bill with MLK. To keep it from becoming an collectors item, the government should stop printing $1 bills for a while; maybe 5 years to get people to start using the $2 and $3 more or have to carry around a lot of change. I also think Eisenhower should be on a new $30 bill; the greatest military hero of the 20th century, two term POTUS, built the Interstate highway system and started NASA. IMHO Eisenhower is more deserving than a lot of people already on our currency.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  9. #29
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: Should we put Martin Luther King Jr. on our currency?

    I think he deserves to be on regular money, which raises the question; who are we gonna get rid of? Jackson? Grant?
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  10. #30
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Should we put Martin Luther King Jr. on our currency?

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    Oh hell no. The man is mainly known for 3 things to those who look at his life objectively. His Hitleresque speeches being yelled into a mic at brain dead followers. Plagiarizing his doctoral dissertation. And getting shot.
    So because you don't like him and what he stood for he doesn't deserve to be remembered on a coin/ bill. Seems about right.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •