View Poll Results: Does racism occur in this video?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 61.11%
  • No

    10 27.78%
  • Abstain

    4 11.11%
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 219

Thread: Is this racist?

  1. #71
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Maggie, I think you were thinking about those statistics while watching that video instead of paying attention to the scenario they created. I told you what it was and then you wanted to get cute and tell me I was changing the goalposts when, as I said, that scenario was the whole point of the video. If you want to go on a rant about crime statistics that buttress your beliefs, fine, start your own thread, otherwise...this isn't the thread you're looking for.
    Does this post make you feel empowered? I don't know why it would.

    My opinion is that the video represents profiling, not racism. I saw the original episode in addition to watching the posted video. It was a network show some time ago.

    You told me what it was?? You told me what? That it's racism? Well, glory be! I disagree!
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #72
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I can appreciate that Boo.

    I wish you were right on this one bro. It's like Maggie said. Sad but true. Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

    As they say on Dragnet, "Just the facts."
    I'm not sure she is. I bet if we assumed whites committed more crime, in time statistics would how they do.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #73
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm not sure she is. I bet if we assumed whites committed more crime, in time statistics would how they do.
    And now . . .

    we dispute FBI statistics. Come ON, Boo!!
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #74
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,048

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Does this post make you feel empowered? I don't know why it would.

    My opinion is that the video represents profiling, not racism. I saw the original episode in addition to watching the posted video. It was a network show some time ago.

    You told me what it was?? You told me what? That it's racism? Well, glory be! I disagree!
    I told you what the scenario was. Also, that scenario was explained in the video itself. Would you like me to explain it again? And profiling is not mutually exclusive to racism, as was the case here in that racism was the basis of that profiling.

  5. #75
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    So you're of the opinion that they "let" the white guy steal because he was white?

    I didn't read it that way. I read it that the white guy was more cock-sure of himself. Someone with a sledge hammer? Someone with a power saw? I'm not sure I'm going to be doing much other than making a phone call. The black guy was less formidable, in my opinion. Although they said he was the same age? I think he came off as younger and less threatening.
    Looked to me they were dressed the same, doing the exact same acts, answering with the same language ("it's not your bike is it? It will be mine. Essential stealing it.").

    the second guy didn't get to the power saw because they were on him so fast.

    This experiment has been done many times, many places, many conditions, and results always the same. That should at least cause pause.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #76
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I told you what the scenario was. Also, that scenario was explained in the video itself. Would you like me to explain it again? And profiling is not mutually exclusive to racism, as was the case here in that racism was the basis of that profiling.
    "Racism was the basis of that profiling." As you nutz?? Did you not pay any attention at ALL to the FBI crime stats I posted?? Really, Cardinal, it's late. I don't have the patience to dicker with you on my conclusion that it's profiling based on hard statistics from the FBI. If you choose to ignore those statistics and tell me I'm prejudiced against blacks -- or that I'm racist?? You're wrong...you have nothing to back you up...and you fail to present a cogent argument that anything other than profiling was involved.

    Read up on racism. It isn't racist to be a realist.

    Edit: Are you related to Jesse Jackson? Al Sharpton?
    Last edited by MaggieD; 08-29-13 at 12:11 AM.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #77
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    And now . . .

    we dispute FBI statistics. Come ON, Boo!!
    Not what I said. I said that if we assume it, it will become true. Where we look for it, we find it. Where we don't, we don't find it. Not doubting any numbers.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #78
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Looked to me they were dressed the same, doing the exact same acts, answering with the same language ("it's not your bike is it? It will be mine. Essential stealing it.").

    the second guy didn't get to the power saw because they were on him so fast.

    This experiment has been done many times, many places, many conditions, and results always the same. That should at least cause pause.
    Follow your instincts Boo. I'm going to follow mine. It just so happens that the stats seem to support my instincts on this particular issue. I do respect your efforts to take the high ground. I just hope they don't get you hurt.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  9. #79
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not what I said. I said that if we assume it, it will become true. Where we look for it, we find it. Where we don't, we don't find it. Not doubting any numbers.
    I fail to see a difference. But . . . whatever floats your boat.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #80
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not what I said. I said that if we assume it, it will become true. Where we look for it, we find it. Where we don't, we don't find it. Not doubting any numbers.
    C'mon Boo. You're holding out. You got some of that skunky bud, don't ya? You ol' son-of-a-gun.

    I got to deal with the reality 'cause I only got this swag.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •