View Poll Results: Does racism occur in this video?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 61.11%
  • No

    10 27.78%
  • Abstain

    4 11.11%
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 219

Thread: Is this racist?

  1. #171
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    If you want to tell me what your were trying to say, I'll have a look - I can't "blow you off" if I don't know what you're talking about.
    You were offering your definition of racism. I was responding to the part where you said:

    “to be the white owner of a store and keep a close watch on young black male customers because in the past you've had trouble with young black males shoplifting or holding you up. That's just being smart and protecting your property and your interests.”

    I reversed the roles by asking you this:

    “So then you condone the idea of me assuming you are a racist because you are a white conservative and holding that view about you, perhaps acting on it, until you prove otherwise?”

    I see this as an example of painting everyone with the same brush. Keeping an eye on the kids because they are “behaving” in a way that causes concern is different than keeping an eye on them because they are black and you have had trouble with black kids. If I assume you are a racist because you are a white conservative I am also painting you with a broad brush.

  2. #172
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Racism is more than I don't like you because you're black. And no, a real discussion has to start with rather we do it knowing we do it or not, we treat minorities differently. There is more than enough evidence to show that. This evidence is just one more small piece added to a long list of evidence.

    And in fact, these studies have been done in reverse. The odd thing, there's no real change in the reaction. Whites were largely ignored, and blacks stopped nearly instantly. None of this is really new.

    And yes, people are complicated, which only means they may not be intentional. It may well be that a wide variety of societal influences have helped create an unintentional racism. But treating one race different than another based purely on race is at the end of the day racist.
    did you even read her post?

  3. #173
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Racism is more than I don't like you because you're black. And no, a real discussion has to start with rather we do it knowing we do it or not, we treat minorities differently. There is more than enough evidence to show that. This evidence is just one more small piece added to a long list of evidence.

    And in fact, these studies have been done in reverse. The odd thing, there's no real change in the reaction. Whites were largely ignored, and blacks stopped nearly instantly. None of this is really new.

    And yes, people are complicated, which only means they may not be intentional. It may well be that a wide variety of societal influences have helped create an unintentional racism. But treating one race different than another based purely on race is at the end of the day racist.
    Once again (for the fourth time in this thread) - I am not saying "it's not."

    Maybe if I don't write a bunch of stuff after saying that you'll get it.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #174
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,177

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    You were offering your definition of racism. I was responding to the part where you said:

    “to be the white owner of a store and keep a close watch on young black male customers because in the past you've had trouble with young black males shoplifting or holding you up. That's just being smart and protecting your property and your interests.”

    I reversed the roles by asking you this:

    “So then you condone the idea of me assuming you are a racist because you are a white conservative and holding that view about you, perhaps acting on it, until you prove otherwise?”

    I see this as an example of painting everyone with the same brush. Keeping an eye on the kids because they are “behaving” in a way that causes concern is different than keeping an eye on them because they are black and you have had trouble with black kids. If I assume you are a racist because you are a white conservative I am also painting you with a broad brush.
    That's fair - but you only know I'm a conservative because I self-identify here as such. If you believe that you have experience here that leads you to believe that all white conservatives are racists, then you are acting on your experience and that's all a person can do. My example was far more focused than yours was. In my example, it would be racism if the store owner mistrusted young black men in every situation, not just the situation in his own store. In your example, you've based your assumption on me, personally, not me, situationally - that's the difference I was trying to outline.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #175
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,123

    Re: Is this racist?

    I only got about half way through but the problem here is that the sets of people walking by were different, also if you'll notice predominantly it seemed the one's who took action were older. Further what park were they in -- in what town? It seemed predominantly white despite putting the token black ladies in there for the image of balance.

  6. #176
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    did you even read her post?
    I did.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #177
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I did.
    then you need to work on your comprehension skills

  8. #178
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Once again (for the fourth time in this thread) - I am not saying "it's not."

    Maybe if I don't write a bunch of stuff after saying that you'll get it.
    I understand that. Which is really besides the point. I'm addressing that the variables you place on this particular example don't really work because of the overwhelming body of work that really accompanies it. It isn't a stand alone example. So while you're not saying it isn't, your argument presents a case to pause. I don't think that case holds up. I've been explaining why.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #179
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    then you need to work on your comprehension skills
    Or you. read above.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #180
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    That's fair - but you only know I'm a conservative because I self-identify here as such. If you believe that you have experience here that leads you to believe that all white conservatives are racists, then you are acting on your experience and that's all a person can do. My example was far more focused than yours was. In my example, it would be racism if the store owner mistrusted young black men in every situation, not just the situation in his own store. In your example, you've based your assumption on me, personally, not me, situationally - that's the difference I was trying to outline.
    I appreciate you actually considering my point of view. Just so you know I do not dismiss yours. I understand how it can appear as just practical or realistic. However, I think there is a greater goal to contribute to here and i believe we all have a greater obligation to it if we as individuals are going to progress equality. That is, that I should no sooner assume that you a racist because you are a white conservative, even if I am surrounded by experience, than anyone else should first that all blacks are thugs until they prove otherwise. The majority are not.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •