View Poll Results: Does racism occur in this video?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 61.11%
  • No

    10 27.78%
  • Abstain

    4 11.11%
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 219

Thread: Is this racist?

  1. #111
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I am curious as to the difference. Profiling base on actions (someone breaking a lock), maybe even clothing, might make some sense, but race? Isn't that really racist to base it on race?
    The problem with her statement is that it holds people accountable for results only without any consideration for the circumstances that create those stats. It's kind of an implied moral superiority. It says this is the sum of who you are. It is a short cut to help justify bigotry.

  2. #112
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Not when crime statistics support the profile, Boo. When we start denying reality in the guise of political correctness, who's being stupid?
    That is a rather edited or selective version of reality.

  3. #113
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Remember Maggie, truth or not, it's racist these days to discuss the reality of the situation. That's where society has come to.

    I was always taught the first thing one has to do to correct their mistake was to acknowledge the mistake. Those who prefer to stick their heads in the sand only make it worse, not better.
    The problem isn't the discussion of reality it is that you want everyone to adopt your version of it.

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Its hard to say. The first guy almost had the cops called on him by the pastor, but he may have not wanted to upset his kids on their family outing. Maybe the guy who confronted the black male would have done the same to the white male. Maybe the guy who decided not to confront the white male wouldn't have done so to the black male.

    Either way, this isn't exactly a variable controlled exercise.
    And of course the most obvious and relevant variable is the size of the "perp". Not their race. Even some of the women dwarfed the black kid who is merely a skinny 5'4", if that. He's not intimidating in the least to the adults. The white guy was much larger and more intimidating than the black kid so it just seems natural that people would be less likely to risk a confrontation with him.

    It's that whole self-preservation instinct.

  5. #115
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    They might or might not act differently. But it doesn't change what happened here. They made decisions based on race, and not much else.
    Indeed, but that doesn't mean it's racism.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #116
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    So basically what you're saying is that statistics and profiling mean that a white person acting extremely suspiciously must not be doing anything wrong. Am I hearing you correctly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    If the assumption is that the "white kid must be alright in spite of giving off every conceivable signal that he's doing something sketchy" then that goes beyond simple profiling. To put it more simply, it's not "profiling" if he's demonstrably breaking the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    Speaking of crime. Most serial killers are white, most kidnappers are white, and most men who go on shooting sprees are white. However, you never hear them described names such as thugs, and nobody ever focus's on their skin color. Why is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    The problem with her statement is that it holds people accountable for results only without any consideration for the circumstances that create those stats. It's kind of an implied moral superiority. It says this is the sum of who you are. It is a short cut to help justify bigotry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    And of course the most obvious and relevant variable is the size of the "perp". Not their race. Even some of the women dwarfed the black kid who is merely a skinny 5'4", if that. He's not intimidating in the least to the adults. The white guy was much larger and more intimidating than the black kid so it just seems natural that people would be less likely to risk a confrontation with him.

    It's that whole self-preservation instinct.
    At approximately 12 minutes, the psychologist himself gives the reason. Roughly paraphrased: "This kind of situation goes on all the time. You associate blacks with crime, and whites with being good." That is NOT racism. Even the two black women early on say, "Whites don't usually run around with burglary tools." That is NOT racism. Call it stereotyping...call it profiling. But. It is not racism.

    I'll go on to say that the white guy had, probably, 30+ pounds on the black kid. That makes a significant difference in one's likelihood to confront a thief. It was quite apparent that many of the people passing the white kid thought he was stealing the bike. The question then becomes, "Why didn't more people confront him?" That is the real difference in the video. Why didn't more people confront him? NOT why did people think he wasn't stealing the bike.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #117
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Race.

    Profiling based on race doesn't = racism. The stats are indisputable.
    Racial profiling is not racism, it is just stupid and supported by people who do not understand how to use statistics or how profiling works.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #118
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    At approximately 12 minutes, the psychologist himself gives the reason. Roughly paraphrased: "This kind of situation goes on all the time. You associate blacks with crime, and whites with being good." That is NOT racism. Even the two black women early on say, "Whites don't usually run around with burglary tools." That is NOT racism. Call it stereotyping...call it profiling. But. It is not racism.
    Do you realize you are trying to justify people thinking stupid, inaccurate things as somehow being ok because it is "profiling"? Just because something is not racism does not mean it is good.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #119
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Do you realize you are trying to justify people thinking stupid, inaccurate things as somehow being ok because it is "profiling"? Just because something is not racism does not mean it is good.
    Do you realize the OP is asking whether or not the video exhibits racism, and I answered that question? Why don't you address your post to those that don't understand that. They OP didn't ask, "Is this good?" It asked, "Is this racism?"
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #120
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Indeed, but that doesn't mean it's racism.
    Doesn't it? You act against someone based on race, isn't that really racism?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •