View Poll Results: Does racism occur in this video?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 61.11%
  • No

    10 27.78%
  • Abstain

    4 11.11%
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 219

Thread: Is this racist?

  1. #101
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,044

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Symantics. We all get the point of the video, edited or not. I don't think anyone would argue with, a black person cutting a bike lock, would arouse more suspicion than the white guy.

    The question is, is it racist? I think it is definitely a profiling based on learned behaviors, awareness and experience. It has also been justified with overwhelming statistics.

    But is it racist? I honestly don't know. It's not racist to me. It's just common sense. But to the next guy, that common sense might be considered racist. I dunno.
    If the assumption is that the "white kid must be alright in spite of giving off every conceivable signal that he's doing something sketchy" then that goes beyond simple profiling. To put it more simply, it's not "profiling" if he's demonstrably breaking the law.

  2. #102
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,044

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    lol @ calling this a study. Look, I'm not arguing racism doesn't exist, or even that none of these people are racist. I am saying drawing any type of conclusion from this is foolish. Because you are comparing the reaction of two separate individuals under two distinct circumstances. Not to mention the issues with selective editing



    then post something academic oriented with actual merit. Not some bozo segment from trashtv.com
    I'm not operating on the assumption that the video is legit. In fact I'd be shocked if it was. I'm treating it as a discussion piece, as in, "given that the scenario is true, is the behavior demonstrated by the witnesses racist?" That's all.

    As for the studies, hold on. From my searches I'm getting study after study with abstracts that support what I'm saying but want me to purchase the full paper.

  3. #103
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    This is a set up video. The white kid looked like he would be riding a bike and must have lost his key or something not to mention that you just don't expect a thief to be that obvious. They dressed the black kid like a hood and made it look like he would never actually ride a bike.
    they were dressed the same way!

    Pretty funny how, even though the video even says that they're dressed the same, you came away thinking the black kid looked like a hood
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #104
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Not when crime statistics support the profile, Boo. When we start denying reality in the guise of political correctness, who's being stupid?
    I think you should take another look at the video. This time, pay attention to what the psychologist says. The issue isn't profiling

    The video shows a white guy sawing away at a chained up bike. People ask him if it's his bike, and he says no. The people show no concern.

    I'd say that any person obviously trying to take a bike that they admit they don't own fits a certain "profile" - the profile of a thief. Yet most of the people did nothing.

    There's more to this than profiling.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #105
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    If the assumption is that the "white kid must be alright in spite of giving off every conceivable signal that he's doing something sketchy" then that goes beyond simple profiling. To put it more simply, it's not "profiling" if he's demonstrably breaking the law.
    Exactly!

    And the psychologist explicitly explained what was going on. It had nothing to do with profiling, or FBI stats. Even with a clear explanation, people are grasping for an explanation for why it wasn't racist, when the right answer is explained on the video
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #106
    Professor
    herenow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    12-11-15 @ 11:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,686

    Re: Is this racist?

    Speaking of crime. Most serial killers are white, most kidnappers are white, and most men who go on shooting sprees are white. However, you never hear them described names such as thugs, and nobody ever focus's on their skin color. Why is that?

  7. #107
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    Speaking of crime. Most serial killers are white, most kidnappers are white, and most men who go on shooting sprees are white. However, you never hear them described names such as thugs, and nobody ever focus's on their skin color. Why is that?
    When I think of "thugs," in my mind's eye, it's always a white guy, with a crooked nose, wearing a Fedora hat.

    Hey, White people are no strangers to crime. I don't think anyone is suggesting that. The topic, as I understand it to be, is all a matter of ratio. When 13% of the population does 50% of the crime, any odds maker would put the odds on the black kid stealing the bike over the white kid. Simple common sense.

    I'm sure there are plenty white kids stealing bikes and committing serial murders. No doubt. But the crime stats are highly disproportional in regards to black vs. white in crimes committed.

    And for some reason, it's racist to point out these facts? I don't see how this problem will ever be addressed if people refuse to acknowledge it. The numbers don't lie.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  8. #108
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    When I think of "thugs," in my mind's eye, it's always a white guy, with a crooked nose, wearing a Fedora hat.

    Hey, White people are no strangers to crime. I don't think anyone is suggesting that. The topic, as I understand it to be, is all a matter of ratio. When 13% of the population does 50% of the crime, any odds maker would put the odds on the black kid stealing the bike over the white kid. Simple common sense.

    I'm sure there are plenty white kids stealing bikes and committing serial murders. No doubt. But the crime stats are highly disproportional in regards to black vs. white in crimes committed.

    And for some reason, it's racist to point out these facts? I don't see how this problem will ever be addressed if people refuse to acknowledge it. The numbers don't lie.
    13% of the population doesn't commit 50% of the crimes.

    The video goes a long way towards showing why black people are more likely to be reported for committing crimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #109
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    Speaking of crime. Most serial killers are white, most kidnappers are white, and most men who go on shooting sprees are white.

    Actually, from my understanding, the appearance that most serial killers are white is more a function of demographics (exacerbated by media and policing habits), and believe the same is true with child molestation.

    <<<Contrary to popular belief, serial killers span all racial groups. There are white, African-American, Hispanic, and Asian serial killers. The racial diversification of serial killers generally mirrors that of the overall U.S. population.>>>

    FBI &mdash; Serial Murder

  10. #110
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: Is this racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Actually, from my understanding, the appearance that most serial killers are white is more a function of demographics (exacerbated by media and policing habits), and believe the same is true with child molestation.

    <<<Contrary to popular belief, serial killers span all racial groups. There are white, African-American, Hispanic, and Asian serial killers. The racial diversification of serial killers generally mirrors that of the overall U.S. population.>>>

    FBI — Serial Murder
    Well, at least Jeffery Dahmer wasn't a racist. He ate blacks, whites, hispanics, laotians... He did not discriminate.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •