View Poll Results: What do you think of the laws banning atheist from some offices?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Iím against it

    74 67.89%
  • it violates the constitution and should be removed

    70 64.22%
  • itís discrimination

    61 55.96%
  • itís bigotry

    47 43.12%
  • itís disgusting

    36 33.03%
  • I support this

    7 6.42%
  • it does NOT violate the constitution and should stand

    6 5.50%
  • itís NOT discrimination

    2 1.83%
  • itís NOT bigotry

    4 3.67%
  • itís righteousness

    6 5.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 351

Thread: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

  1. #71
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    56,489

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    I think you must be confused. Never said such a thing.
    Your vote of silence is a vote against allowing me the same opportunities you seek. No one said that saying it's discriminatory that you'd have to vote for an atheist, just that it's discriminatory and you'd allow an atheist to run.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #72
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    44,698

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    Does article 6 section 3 of the constitution not apply to the states?


    Article VI | U.S. Constitution | LII / Legal Information Institute
    Yes, it does, and the laws listed in the OP are unconstitutional and should be struck down.
    Mitt Romney: "Trump's promises are as worthless as a degree from Trump University."

  3. #73
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,607

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    where would they fall short


    to me religion is meaningless in a candidate unless i thought it got in the way. If i agree with him on the issues religion can only make me doubt him instead of have faith.

    what i mean by that is the more religious a person might be the more they might care less about the constitution and the rights of ALL Americans. That would make for the worst candidate ever.

    I myself am religion but my religion would never effect me in that way if i held an office it would only steer me personally.

    They might not have the conscience part, IMO. Now days morality is at a premium,
    .

  4. #74
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,997

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    They might not have the conscience part, IMO. Now days morality is at a premium,
    .
    but the vast majority of atheist have morals
    Quote Originally Posted by MateoMtnClimber View Post
    Yes, gay people absolutely have the right to infringe on other people's religious rights. See the entire civil rights movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.

  5. #75
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,607

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Your vote of silence is a vote against allowing me the same opportunities you seek. No one said that saying it's discriminatory that you'd have to vote for an atheist, just that it's discriminatory and you'd allow an atheist to run.
    Paranoid much?

    Let's put it this way, I wouldn't vote for a known Atheist and since these laws are never enforced, you and I will never know the difference

  6. #76
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,607

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    but the vast majority of atheist have morals
    That's fine but, I follow the Lord.

  7. #77
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,997

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    That's fine but, I follow the Lord.
    so do i, so?

    i know athiest that have plenty of my same morals especially the ones that would be needed to be a government official.

    so thats what im asking, if they line up with your political views and they have morals (the important things are already covered in law) then why not

    i guess this is my question now, what would they do due to their atheism that you are worried about?

    like when i said somebody over religious might just ignore the constitution and rights or others, so what do you fear in the opposite direction?
    Quote Originally Posted by MateoMtnClimber View Post
    Yes, gay people absolutely have the right to infringe on other people's religious rights. See the entire civil rights movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.

  8. #78
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,607

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    so do i, so?

    i know athiest that have plenty of my same morals especially the ones that would be needed to be a government official.

    so thats what im asking, if they line up with your political views and they have morals (the important things are already covered in law) then why not

    i guess this is my question now, what would they do due to their atheism that you are worried about?

    like when i said somebody over religious might just ignore the constitution and rights or others, so what do you fear in the opposite direction?
    The same actually. Especially if you see what politicians do as a whole these days. Some even go as far as to attack the religious rights of others using government entities.

  9. #79
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,997

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    The same actually. Especially if you see what politicians do as a whole these days. Some even go as far as to attack the religious rights of others using government entities.
    give me examples of these religious rights you are speaking of?

    again if a person has the same political views as you and cares about the constitution and rights of Americans this doesnt happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by MateoMtnClimber View Post
    Yes, gay people absolutely have the right to infringe on other people's religious rights. See the entire civil rights movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.

  10. #80
    Sage
    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    yeah i know it always amazes me how much discrimination we still have in the US, we should be the LEADER of not discriminating.

    Now as far as i know nobody tries to use these laws or has in recent times but i couldnt believe the existed.
    Then you would be very surprised to learn that a large number of deeds for real propoperty owned across the United States expressily forbids ownership of the property by Asians, Blacks, and other minorities. Much like the atheist laws that still appear on the books, subsequent laws have made such decrimination illegal, and unenforceable.

    Racial Restrictive Covenants

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •