View Poll Results: What do you think of the laws banning atheist from some offices?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Iím against it

    74 67.89%
  • it violates the constitution and should be removed

    70 64.22%
  • itís discrimination

    61 55.96%
  • itís bigotry

    47 43.12%
  • itís disgusting

    36 33.03%
  • I support this

    7 6.42%
  • it does NOT violate the constitution and should stand

    6 5.50%
  • itís NOT discrimination

    2 1.83%
  • itís NOT bigotry

    4 3.67%
  • itís righteousness

    6 5.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 351

Thread: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

  1. #201
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,381

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Do you honestly believe that the constitution only protects people who believe in god? Seriously?
    you are correct it certainly does not if we are referring to AA/EEO (affirmative action and equal employment opportunity )
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post
    there is no such thing as an abortion on a dead fetus.

  2. #202
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,097

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Do you honestly believe that the constitution only protects people who believe in god? Seriously?
    When it comes to the 1st Amendment, yes. It only mentions religion with atheism not being a religion unless court cases or laws classify it as one.

    I do think it should be unconstitutional to deny someone, who is an atheist, from public office due to their beliefs. I think our interpretation of the 1st Amendment needs to be changed or the Amendment altered. However, by the current wording I don't see it as extending to philosophies or non-religious beliefs. The protection just isn't there. Do I want it to be there? Yes. Do I think it's there based on the wording and state precedence? No. If it is there I would love for these laws to be brought to court and struck down. No one should be legally discriminated against based on their beliefs.
    Last edited by digsbe; 11-29-13 at 12:48 AM.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  3. #203
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    115

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    It is constitutional because the language of the 1st amendment only regulates congress /the fed govt establishing an official religion. It does not regulate the states in any way whatsoever.

  4. #204
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Calvincoolidge View Post
    It is constitutional because the language of the 1st amendment only regulates congress /the fed govt establishing an official religion. It does not regulate the states in any way whatsoever.
    Are you not aware that the first amendment has been incorporated against the states?

  5. #205
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    35,717

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Are you not aware that the first amendment has been incorporated against the states?
    Perhaps, yet we see countless state/local exceptions for the 2nd.
    ďThe reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.Ē ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #206
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    35,717

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Calvincoolidge View Post
    It is constitutional because the language of the 1st amendment only regulates congress /the fed govt establishing an official religion. It does not regulate the states in any way whatsoever.
    Not any more.

    Incorporation of the Bill of Rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ďThe reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.Ē ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #207
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    Now Iím not an atheist myself and I know many atheists that do believe in religion just donít think anybody has it right but discrimination is discrimination and it amazed me that these things below are actually in state constitutions. I just learned this in another thread.
    The constitutions of these seven US states ban atheists from holding public office:

    Arkansas:
    "No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court."[81]

    Maryland:
    "That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution.Ē[82]

    Mississippi:
    "No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state."[83]

    North Carolina:
    "The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God."[84]

    South Carolina:
    "No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution."[85]

    Tennessee:
    "No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state."[86]

    Texas:
    "No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being."[87]

    An eighth state constitution discriminates against atheists by affording special protection to theists only.
    Pennsylvania:
    "No person who acknowledges the being of a God and a future state of rewards and punishments shall, on account of his religious sentiments, be disqualified to hold any office or place of trust or profit under this Commonwealth."[88]

    Discrimination against atheists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Thatís appalling to me and the purest form of bigotry and discrimination IMO. SO Iím curious where you stand.
    Iíd love to see someone try to enforce this so it can be defeated and destroyed like it should, wonder if there are any recent cases of it.

    What do you think of the laws banning atheist from some offices?

    Iím against it
    it violates the constitution and should be removed
    itís discrimination
    itís bigotry
    itís disgusting
    I support this
    it does NOT violate the constitution and should stand
    itís NOT discrimination
    itís NOT bigotry
    itís righteousness
    The much abused Establishment Clause was intended to bind a single Entity, that being the United States Congress. Wider interpretations have been based in imaginary language.

    At the time of the adoption of the First Amendment, several States had official religions and similar tests for office. It was considered beyond the purview of the Constitution to address such l issues.

    Whether these laws are wise or not should be entirely up to the residents of the States in question and their state constitutions.

    Besides, Atheists can just lie about it. Are they afraid that to do so would be a sin?
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  8. #208
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,398

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    When it comes to the 1st Amendment, yes. It only mentions religion with atheism not being a religion unless court cases or laws classify it as one.

    I do think it should be unconstitutional to deny someone, who is an atheist, from public office due to their beliefs. I think our interpretation of the 1st Amendment needs to be changed or the Amendment altered. However, by the current wording I don't see it as extending to philosophies or non-religious beliefs. The protection just isn't there. Do I want it to be there? Yes. Do I think it's there based on the wording and state precedence? No. If it is there I would love for these laws to be brought to court and struck down. No one should be legally discriminated against based on their beliefs.
    Have you even read the first ammendment? Two parts deal with religion....first is the establishment clause, which forbids establishing a religion (and requiring a specific religious belief is establishing a religion) and the second part require free exercise. Required oaths or statements of belief are not free exercise, but required.

    By your argument, it would be legal to make church attendance mandatory, as long as people could go to whatever church they want. Do you really believe that?
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  9. #209
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    Atheists cant be freemasons either.

    But i agree that you shouldnt have to believe in god to hold office.

  10. #210
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:38 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,711

    Re: Appalling Discrimination against atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    i partially agree, if theres been some ruling or referendum saying these laws just simply wont be enforced you are probably right why waste time.

    but then again since the laws are so mentally insane you would think the process would be very easy to remove them as the vast majority would just agree.
    Well exactly. But my problem is that there is no point in wasting time till this becomes an issue. I suppose if some atheists wants to take this to court...they can. But why bother with something that is going to be whited out the day someone runs.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •