View Poll Results: Do you support the Death Penalty

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support the Death Penalty

    38 42.70%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Principle

    27 30.34%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Practicality

    17 19.10%
  • Other

    7 7.87%
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 335

Thread: Death Penalty in Theory

  1. #61
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    I'm for the death penalty in extreme cases, where a person shows absolutely no remorse for his/her crimes, and will continue to be a threat to others as long as they live. I don't view it as a deterrent, I view it as the elimination of a cancer.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    It would certainly deter a lot of crime I am sure.
    It's not meant to be a deterrent, it's called the death PENALTY for a reason. It's supposed to remove people who have committed crimes too heinous for them to continue to breath the same air as decent society from the planet permanently.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    Many of the cases I've read about had to do with law enforcement perjury. Its hard to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt when you consider that some of these people have an incentive to lie in order to get a conviction.
    Definitely something to keep in mind. Also, in one of the cases in MA with the lab technicians, she happened to be a drug addict. The technicians who test the DNA and other evidence are as fallible as any other human. At least if a mistake is discovered, a person can be released from prison and have at least a chance to live a life again, but you can't bring someone back from the dead.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It's not meant to be a deterrent, it's called the death PENALTY for a reason. It's supposed to remove people who have committed crimes too heinous for them to continue to breath the same air as decent society from the planet permanently.
    I'm just not sure all of you clamoring to be pillars of societal decency and human morality are really the authorities you believe yourselves to be.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #65
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Why is it wrong. Why don't you spell that out for us?
    The person isn't a threat to society, hence we shouldn't kill them.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I'm just not sure all of you clamoring to be pillars of societal decency and human morality are really the authorities you believe yourselves to be.
    It never stops you from claiming to be the arbiter of libertarian values though, does it?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #67
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It never stops you from claiming to be the arbiter of libertarian values though, does it?
    Never have claimed to be. In fact, I do recall saying often that libertarian philosophy is wide and diverse and others come to various conclusions on their own; that one cannot speak for all.

    But hey, if making things up will help your argument here; then by all means have at it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    I recognize there are cases where it's appropriate and we can say definitively the guilty party is being punished but I think the risks outweigh the reward.

  9. #69
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    In principle, I oppose the death penalty. Killing to prove that killing is wrong is wrong. I do not think that the government should have the right to take our lives without some immediate threat, and I think that people can be rehabilitated from criminal tendencies. But the strongest argument against it, with cold logic, is that it is NEVER alright to execute an innocent person. And since we cannot guarantee that we are always correct in applying the death penalty, and we cannot un-kill a person, we should not risk it. The wrongfully convicted can be released, and we should make a habit of rechecking the evidence later to make sure we were correct, but we cannot rectify the harm we do to an innocent person when we execute them. I think that there is no documented benefit (I don't think that there are any benefits at all, but even if deterrence is true) to the death penalty that makes up for this risk. It is simply unacceptable to risk killing an innocent person.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  10. #70
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Not really. It consumes innocent life, it is not a deterrent, it is super expensive, and it doesn't net society any additional safety for the cost. It's easier and cheaper just to house a prisoner for life and we don't have to open the can of worms associated with the death penalty. There's not much need for it. We'd be better served reforming our prison system in general.
    You are telling me that it costs LESS to house someone for life than to use the death penalty? I'd love to know how those numbers work out.....
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •