View Poll Results: Do you support the Death Penalty

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support the Death Penalty

    38 42.70%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Principle

    27 30.34%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Practicality

    17 19.10%
  • Other

    7 7.87%
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 335

Thread: Death Penalty in Theory

  1. #321
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    On principle, I believe that a systematic method of the state killing a person is unethical.

    I believe that it is better that 100 murderers walk free than to wrongfully execute an innocent person.

    I understand that the practicality of executing a person as opposed to sentencing them to life without parole is long, cold, expensive, and difficult.

    That said, I think the only cases that would merit execution are atrocities against humanity that reach a historic scale. The Nuremberg Trials, Osama Bin Laden, and not many other cases.

  2. #322
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    It truly is. I don't know how expensive it is to live in Hawaii, but that sounds outrageous to me. Something needs to be done about this IMO.
    Well, the thread was started about the death penalty, just saying.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  3. #323
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    I used to be very pro-capital punishment. Lately though, I've been moving away from that position somewhat. In theory, I accept that the death penalty can be an appropriate punishment. If a mentally healthy person willfully takes the life of another, I see that as forfeiting their own right to life. However, in our practice I'm not sure I can support it. There is at the very least controversy over whether or not the cost of the capital case outweighs that of life in prison, with actual statistics being very hard to come by. There is also the trouble of exonerated death row inmates and wrongful executions. In my opinion the difference in punishment between death and life in prison is not worth the chance of wrongful execution, which seems to be significant. There is also the question of whether the death penalty is equally applied among everyone. Lastly, although I'm not sure I agree with this, some people have argued that the death penalty is not an equal response to murder, because death row inmates must spend years waiting and knowing that they are going to die. It is suggested this is a torture exceeding that which the convicted gave his or her victims. I think this is the weakest argument of them, but it may have some merit. In a perfect world where a 100% guilty person was immediately put to death, with the whole thing costing less than life in prison, I could easily support that, but in our real world I'm not sure anymore that capital punishment is practical.

    But I'm curious about how the people on DP feel about it. Especially to see if there are significant groups of people among those who oppose the death penalty who support the idea in theory, but not in reality and those who simply oppose the idea in principle.
    I disagree with you on numerous points.

    First of all, I do believe the death penalty should be an option, but only for the most serious crimes and it should be used sparingly (and never automatically). Not all convicted murderers should be sentenced to death. Only people who pose an exceptional danger to society and are likely to offend again, or whose crime is particularly heinous, should be sentenced to death.

    Your arguments against the death penalty come down to the fact that it may be wrongly applied. This goes for every law and if you're going to abolish every punishment that may be misapplied you may as well abolish the whole justice system.

    As for the argument of cost, this is a fallacy. These calculations only take into account the costs of the trials and appeals. To calculate the cost of life in prisonment you have to calculate the cost of housing, feeding, guarding and caring for a person for 40 or 50 years + the costs for parole hearings and other legal procedures over that same period. There is simply no camparison. That being said, I don't consider the issue of cost a really valid argument.

    Also the idea that life inprisonment is an easy and safe alternative choice is wrong, unless you're advocating locking somebody up for 40 or 50 years without any physical contact with any other person and without ever leaving their cell. This is obviously impractical as it would mean you would deny them medical care, visits or the minimum of physical exercise. But if you do treat them as prisoners should be treated there is Always the risk of escape, of them assaulting other inmates or guards, etc. And you will in fact encourage this since they have nothing to lose.

  4. #324
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-01-17 @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    What principle or practicality? Once their dead and cremated, they will never ever commit another crime or hurt another person. Only thing that needs to change is it should be something people will fear, it should be done publicly and school children should have to see it several times before becoming adults.
    Unless you kill and cremate the wrong person. Life sentences allow for a margin of error.

    Ian Hislop explains Capital Punishment to an Idiot. - YouTube

  5. #325
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    Unless you kill and cremate the wrong person. Life sentences allow for a margin of error.

    Ian Hislop explains Capital Punishment to an Idiot. - YouTube
    The logical answer is not to execute the wrong person.

  6. #326
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-01-17 @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Artevelde View Post
    The logical answer is not to execute the wrong person.
    Well neither of our countries have a great record on that. I don't see what virtue the death penalty has that outweighs the inevitable loss of innocent life that it will produce except in cases like genocide and crimes against humanity.

  7. #327
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    Well neither of our countries have a great record on that. I don't see what virtue the death penalty has that outweighs the inevitable loss of innocent life that it will produce except in cases like genocide and crimes against humanity.
    I refuse to give up on the rule of justice and law, just because mistakes are sometimes made.

    Also, you find it easy to accept the inevitable loss of innocent life as repeat offenders are allowed to murder again?

  8. #328
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-01-17 @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Artevelde View Post
    I refuse to give up on the rule of justice and law, just because mistakes are sometimes made.

    Also, you find it easy to accept the inevitable loss of innocent life as repeat offenders are allowed to murder again?
    Isnt that what prison is for? I guess what this boils down is what does the death penalty do that prison doesn't that justifies innocent loss of life. If anything prison is more of a punishment
    Last edited by Red_Dave; 09-02-13 at 05:46 AM.

  9. #329
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    Isnt that what prison is for? I guess what this boils down is what does the death penalty do that prison doesn't that justifies innocent loss of life.
    So you will lock these people up for the rest of their life without any chance of parole, never letting them out of their cell and not letting them come into contact with any persons?

  10. #330
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-01-17 @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Artevelde View Post
    So you will lock these people up for the rest of their life without any chance of parole, never letting them out of their cell and not letting them come into contact with any persons?
    I think life should mean life as far as murder convictions are concerned but its probably fair to say that the number of innocent people executed fair outweighs the number of people killed during prison visiting hours.

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •