View Poll Results: Do you support the Death Penalty

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support the Death Penalty

    38 42.70%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Principle

    27 30.34%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Practicality

    17 19.10%
  • Other

    7 7.87%
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 335

Thread: Death Penalty in Theory

  1. #311
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,786

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I disagree. I think our economy is hurting because of lack of jobs. It isn't because of the 4% of people who are collecting benefits.
    It's nowhere near 4% and it has nothing to do with the current recession.

    30 million more Americans receive food stamps today than did in 1990.
    3 million Americans received Social Security disability in 2000. Today it's 8.6 million.
    Approximately 35% of the U.S. population gets some form of check from the government.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #312
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It's nowhere near 4% and it has nothing to do with the current recession.

    30 million more Americans receive food stamps today than did in 1990.
    3 million Americans received Social Security disability in 2000. Today it's 8.6 million.
    Approximately 35% of the U.S. population gets some form of check from the government.
    Stats from 2012 say 4.1%.

    Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain

  3. #313
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It's nowhere near 4% and it has nothing to do with the current recession.

    30 million more Americans receive food stamps today than did in 1990.
    3 million Americans received Social Security disability in 2000. Today it's 8.6 million.
    Approximately 35% of the U.S. population gets some form of check from the government.
    Hey, check this out. This ought to make you really happy!

    Top 10 Hourly Wage Equivalent Welfare States in U.S.
    State Hourly Wage Equivalent
    Hawaii $17.50
    Alaska $15.48
    Massachusetts $14.66
    Connecticut $14.23
    Washington, D.C. $13.99
    New York $13.13
    New Jersey $12.55
    Rhode Island $12.55
    California $11.59
    Virginia $11.11
    WOW! Right?

  4. #314
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,786

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Hey, check this out. This ought to make you really happy!
    All of which ought to go way, way, way down. Welfare ought to hurt. That's the only way people can be pushed to get off their asses and get to work.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #315
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,786

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Stats from 2012 say 4.1%.

    Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain
    It specifically tells you that they're only counting people on welfare, not on food stamps or any of the other government assistance programs. I'm counting everyone with their hand out.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #316
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    All of which ought to go way, way, way down. Welfare ought to hurt. That's the only way people can be pushed to get off their asses and get to work.
    I can't believe the equivalent is almost 20 dollars an hour in Hawaii. Of course that includes medical and food stamps, but still. That does sound like a lot for doing nothing.

  7. #317
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,786

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I can't believe the equivalent is almost 20 dollars an hour in Hawaii. Of course that includes medical and food stamps, but still. That does sound like a lot for doing nothing.
    I'm sure it also includes housing assistance. I think it's absurd.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #318
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It specifically tells you that they're only counting people on welfare, not on food stamps or any of the other government assistance programs. I'm counting everyone with their hand out.
    The next time someone tells me that entitlement programs can't be cut back on, I'm going to call BS. I'm stunned at the amount of benefits they get. That's really unbelievable that welfare recipients are getting more than a lot of people who work full time for their money. That's disgusting.

  9. #319
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    The next time someone tells me that entitlement programs can't be cut back on, I'm going to call BS. I'm stunned at the amount of benefits they get. That's really unbelievable that welfare recipients are getting more than a lot of people who work full time for their money. That's disgusting.
    $17.50 X 40 (hr work week)=$700/wk X 4 = about $2800/month. Military pay scale, http://www.dfas.mil/dms/dfas/militar...able2012_1.pdf for 2012. A military person will have to be E-5 with over 8 years of service to earn what someone doing pretty much nothing at all will in Hawaii.

    Army- E-5-- 15.5%, E-4 -23.8%, E-3--12.5%, E-2--6.2%, E-1--3.9% total percentage of the Army making less than welfare recipients in Hawaii, 61.9%
    Air Force 20.7%, 15.1%, 15.6%, 3.0%, 3.2%, total making less 57.6%
    Marines 13.2%, 15.9%, 26.3%, 11.1%, 7.4%, total 73.9%
    Navy 20.6%, 16.9%, 14.5%, 6%, 3.1% total 61%
    http://www.militaryonesource.mil/120...s%20Report.pdf page 9

    Average, app 63.6% of the active duty people defending and dying for this country make less than a person on welfare in Hawaii makes.


    Now that is entirely disgusting.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  10. #320
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    $17.50 X 40 (hr work week)=$700/wk X 4 = about $2800/month. Military pay scale, http://www.dfas.mil/dms/dfas/militar...able2012_1.pdf for 2012. A military person will have to be E-5 with over 8 years of service to earn what someone doing pretty much nothing at all will in Hawaii.

    Army- E-5-- 15.5%, E-4 -23.8%, E-3--12.5%, E-2--6.2%, E-1--3.9% total percentage of the Army making less than welfare recipients in Hawaii, 61.9%
    Air Force 20.7%, 15.1%, 15.6%, 3.0%, 3.2%, total making less 57.6%
    Marines 13.2%, 15.9%, 26.3%, 11.1%, 7.4%, total 73.9%
    Navy 20.6%, 16.9%, 14.5%, 6%, 3.1% total 61%
    http://www.militaryonesource.mil/120...s%20Report.pdf page 9

    Average, app 63.6% of the active duty people defending and dying for this country make less than a person on welfare in Hawaii makes.


    Now that is entirely disgusting.
    It truly is. I don't know how expensive it is to live in Hawaii, but that sounds outrageous to me. Something needs to be done about this IMO.

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •