View Poll Results: Do you support the Death Penalty

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support the Death Penalty

    38 42.70%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Principle

    27 30.34%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Practicality

    17 19.10%
  • Other

    7 7.87%
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 335

Thread: Death Penalty in Theory

  1. #301
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Sure then do, there's all kinds of people who kill others in drive-by shootings, etc. In fact, I'd argue that there are a lot more ignorant people out there than there ought to be, given the level of education and science we have access to today.
    I never said that ignorant people no longer exist. I said that most of us are less ignorant, and we are due to better education, better understanding of others and more exposure to different people.

  2. #302
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,804

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I never said that ignorant people no longer exist. I said that most of us are less ignorant, and we are due to better education, better understanding of others and more exposure to different people.
    I agree with you, I'm just pointing out that in the past, most people were ignorant because they had no choice, the information just wasn't widely available to not be ignorant. Today, when the information is known and widely available, there are plenty of people who are still ignorant, you just can't explain away the reasons for it. They are ignorant by choice, not by circumstance.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #303
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I agree with you, I'm just pointing out that in the past, most people were ignorant because they had no choice, the information just wasn't widely available to not be ignorant. Today, when the information is known and widely available, there are plenty of people who are still ignorant, you just can't explain away the reasons for it. They are ignorant by choice, not by circumstance.
    I guess that would depend on which country a person might live. There are still places in the world that are uneducated and basically isolated from the rest of us.

  4. #304
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,804

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I guess that would depend on which country a person might live. There are still places in the world that are uneducated and basically isolated from the rest of us.
    I'm talking about right here in the United States.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #305
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I'm talking about right here in the United States.
    Sure, but some people just aren't very smart, or maybe they were raised by ignorant people, like racists or whatever.

  6. #306
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,804

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Sure, but some people just aren't very smart, or maybe they were raised by ignorant people, like racists or whatever.
    Or they have idiotic beliefs and the like. The fact still remains that right here at home, there are tons of ignorant, stupid and otherwise idiotic people who have not benefited by modern education into becoming better people. In fact, I think there are plenty of them right here on these forums.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #307
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Or they have idiotic beliefs and the like. The fact still remains that right here at home, there are tons of ignorant, stupid and otherwise idiotic people who have not benefited by modern education into becoming better people. In fact, I think there are plenty of them right here on these forums.
    Yes, I agree. People who only care about themselves are a good example of that.

  8. #308
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,804

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes, I agree. People who only care about themselves are a good example of that.
    People need to be concerned about the overall state of the society and no society can survive if people are not held accountable for themselves and their actions. That's why we have a country where 47% of the people don't pay any federal income tax, why social security is bankrupt and why welfare is out of control.

    Stop "feeling" and start thinking for once. Reacting emotionally doesn't actually produce any good results or solve any problems.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #309
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    People need to be concerned about the overall state of the society and no society can survive if people are not held accountable for themselves and their actions. That's why we have a country where 47% of the people don't pay any federal income tax, why social security is bankrupt and why welfare is out of control.

    Stop "feeling" and start thinking for once. Reacting emotionally doesn't actually produce any good results or solve any problems.
    I disagree. I think our economy is hurting because of lack of jobs. It isn't because of the 4% of people who are collecting benefits.

  10. #310
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    What principle or practicality? Once their dead and cremated, they will never ever commit another crime or hurt another person. Only thing that needs to change is it should be something people will fear, it should be done publicly and school children should have to see it several times before becoming adults.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •