View Poll Results: Do you support the Death Penalty

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support the Death Penalty

    38 42.70%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Principle

    27 30.34%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Practicality

    17 19.10%
  • Other

    7 7.87%
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 335

Thread: Death Penalty in Theory

  1. #21
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,069

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    Why does the "honor" of civil institutions count as more important than a persons life? Why does that matter at all?
    Not least because people will make life/death judgements in the future based off of that measure. It sounds Hobbesian, to be true, but it is true.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    I only support the death penalty in cases where I believe the convicted presents a high risk to others who would have to interact with them on a daily basis behind bars or if they escaped.

  3. #23
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Not least because people will make life/death judgements in the future based off of that measure. It sounds Hobbesian, to be true, but it is true.
    There is 0 evidence that a death penalty deters more people than life in prison.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,011

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    the goal of the justice system must be protecting the society by establishing some rules to deter potential criminals from committing crime and prevent the criminals from commiting the same crime more than once .murder is not punished by law because it is a sin .
    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    The goal of the justice system is to protect society ... Not to Punish sins. No one has the right to take a life, and no one has the right to judge whether or not someone has a right to live, the point is to make sure society is protected.
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  5. #25
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    the goal of the justice system must be protecting the society by establishing some rules to deter potential criminals from committing crime and prevent the criminals from commiting the same crime more than once .murder is not punished by law because it is a sin .
    WHen I say "sin" I'm saying something morally reprehensable that needs to be "punished," the point is the protect society, not punish crimes.

  6. #26
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    I support the death penalty in cases of serial killers, mass murderers, serial rapists or serial child abusers, and people who kill with a disregard for the humanity of their victims, such as those who torture before they kill. And only in cases where guilt isn't in doubt.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  7. #27
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,011

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    WHen I say "sin" I'm saying something morally reprehensable that needs to be "punished," the point is the protect society, not punish crimes.
    the goal of the justice system must be protecting the society by establishing some rules to deter potential criminals from committing crime and prevent the criminals from commiting the same crime more than once .murder is not punished by law because it is a sin .

    it is clear l think

    and you cant protect the society without punishing teh crime

    lets release all murderers if we wont punish them
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  8. #28
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    the goal of the justice system must be protecting the society by establishing some rules to deter potential criminals from committing crime and prevent the criminals from commiting the same crime more than once .murder is not punished by law because it is a sin .

    it is clear l think

    and you cant protect the society without punishing teh crime

    lets release all murderers if we wont punish them
    I didn't mean sin in a religious sense-

    You do know the difference between punishment and prevention?

    When you lock someone up they cannot commit a crime, if you want to punish them, you want them to suffer for their crimes, the difference is in intent, one is to prevent further crime, the other is to make sure someone "pays" for their crime.

    THe death penalty is purely the latter.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    Why does the "honor" of civil institutions count as more important than a persons life? Why does that matter at all?
    They are members of an organization which holds itself to a higher standard and through their actions have brought total shame to that standard and the high values that organization holds itself to and that other people hold it to. However that alone is not enough the massive body count is what makes me support the death penalty there.

  10. #30
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    They are members of an organization which holds itself to a higher standard and through their actions have brought total shame to that standard and the high values that organization holds itself to and that other people hold it to. However that alone is not enough the massive body count is what makes me support the death penalty there.
    Why? Is it a detterent? If not why?

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •