View Poll Results: Do you support the Death Penalty

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support the Death Penalty

    38 42.70%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Principle

    27 30.34%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Practicality

    17 19.10%
  • Other

    7 7.87%
Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 335

Thread: Death Penalty in Theory

  1. #221
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    People in prison do commit crimes and do commit murder in prison. Ask any jailer.
    ... Yes ... And what? It isn't up to the state to decide who lives nad who doesn't. I'ts only job is to protect the citizens.

  2. #222
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Its not a deterent, people like MAJ Hassan are not afraid to die. Call it an emotional reason but I just believe that a act like the mass murder of so many people requires a death sentence, not to mention the tainted image of the organization he was apart of when we are in a conflict were our reputation means everything.
    Well, there is a reason justice systems don't run on emotion, if they did we'd probably still tourture people to death.

  3. #223
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    deads cant suffer
    Yeah .... But it's still killing in order to "punish" it does nothing to protect society.

  4. #224
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Seriously? You think there's no crime in prisons? You think there's no violence in prisons? You think there are no murders in prisons?
    Of coarse there is, which is why you do you're best to keep it safe ... **** with that thinking why don't we just kill everyone in prison?

    You're assuming the STATE has the right to take life, or to punish what it considers to be bad ... as opposed to simply protect society as a whole.

  5. #225
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    You are hopping back and forth between a topic and a sub-topic. The belief that you can attack an institution with relative impunity (as it was put, "it's honor") does indeed encourage follow on attacks. The death penalty as it is currently structured is not an effective deterrent because deterrents to crime must be swift, sure, and public; and our death penalty is none of these things.
    How is life in prison not an impunity? And where is the evidence that even if it was swift, sure and public that it would be a deterrent?

    Also since when are institutions of state more important than human life?

  6. #226
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    UK
    Last Seen
    11-23-13 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    177

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    I'm opposed to it on principle. The idea that the government can carry out a pre-planned killing of a citizen who is completely powerless to oppose it is just wrong.
    It's one of the biggest abuses of government power, and I'm somewhat surprised that so many 'big gubmint is evilz' type conservatives are in favour of it.

  7. #227
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    UK
    Last Seen
    11-23-13 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    177

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    I'm opposed to it on principle. The idea that the government can carry out a pre-planned killing of a citizen who is completely powerless to oppose it is just wrong.
    It's one of the biggest abuses of government power, and I'm somewhat surprised that so many 'big gubmint is evilz' type conservatives are in favour of it.

  8. #228
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    There is zero evidence that prison deters anyone, why not just get rid of prisons? The fact remains, these are PUNISHMENTS, not DETERRENTS. How many times do we have to keep repeating that before you stop flogging your straw man?
    There is evidence actually, mass murder's stop murdering in neighborhoods and making communities unsafe when they are in prison ... Crime in Los Angeles dropped when gang bangers were thrown in prison.

    I'm acually against the prison system as is, as I think it should be more about rehabilitation.

    But if it truely is about punishment .. what gives the State (funny how the right calls the left statists) the right to punish for the sake of retribution or to take someones life? Where does that right come from? Since when does the state become God to decree vengance?

    Also what is you're argument against tourture if you think the role of the justice system is punishment?

  9. #229
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I'm fine with it in theory. I now oppose it because we have proven beyond realistic doubt that we get it right often enough to justify it.
    You now oppose it because you get it right? That makes no sense. Can you explain?
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  10. #230
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,038

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    I'm opposed to it on principle. The idea that the government can carry out a pre-planned killing of a citizen who is completely powerless to oppose it is just wrong.
    It's one of the biggest abuses of government power, and I'm somewhat surprised that so many 'big gubmint is evilz' type conservatives are in favour of it.
    are you libertarian ?

    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •