View Poll Results: Do you support the Death Penalty

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support the Death Penalty

    38 42.70%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Principle

    27 30.34%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Practicality

    17 19.10%
  • Other

    7 7.87%
Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 335

Thread: Death Penalty in Theory

  1. #211
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-16-13 @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,817

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    I'm not here to conform with common public discourse. I post my opinion and hope to engage others in a thoughtful discussion...
    That's a hope alright. a big one.

  2. #212
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
    That sounds like "Independent" to me.
    Feel free to pigeonhole me as you wish, it doesn't matter...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #213
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Feel free to pigeonhole me as you wish, it doesn't matter...
    Will do.

  4. #214
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Deontological Ethics... it has nothing to do with emotion.
    Sorry, I've already told you I'm done discussing this with you. I'll never change your mind and you'll never change mine.

  5. #215
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Sorry, I've already told you I'm done discussing this with you. I'll never change your mind and you'll never change mine.
    I am not trying to change your mind that the DP is fine or good. I am only trying to get you to see that for many, the DP is not an emotional reaction, or vengeance, as you have repeatedly said. In that, you are wrong. If you are fine with that then don't respond.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #216
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    So appeal to popularity then? So if enough people think slavery should be legal, that's cool too? Just a logical extension of your argument, don't get mad bro.
    And it's perfectly valid too. There was a time when slavery was legal because the majority of people wanted it to be. Morality is subjective. If enough people wanted slavery to be legal again, it would be again. Welcome to the real world.

    There is no treatment of government as alien entity, but there is acknowledgement of necessary government force. And if you want to kill someone through the use of government guns, you call down the ultimate force government can exert against an individual.
    You are asserting that there is a specific amount of force that is unnecessary. That's your opinion. If the people want the government to go around nuking people, they can do that and suffer the consequences. Welcome to reality once again.

    Again, you cannot address the points, you are merely deflecting.
    No, you're just ignoring what people say that you don't agree with, but that's typical for a lefty-lib wearing libertarian clothing.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #217
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
    You're full of it. Of course there was emotion involved in their votes, especially if you consider any moral judgement an emotional response. Humans are emotional creatures.
    I meant there was no emotion in what I was saying, which is what you claimed.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #218
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I meant there was no emotion in what I was saying, which is what you claimed.
    If there was no emotion in what you were saying than there was no emotion in what I was saying. I guess we're equal in that regard.

  9. #219
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    I used to be very pro-capital punishment. Lately though, I've been moving away from that position somewhat. In theory, I accept that the death penalty can be an appropriate punishment. If a mentally healthy person willfully takes the life of another, I see that as forfeiting their own right to life. However, in our practice I'm not sure I can support it. There is at the very least controversy over whether or not the cost of the capital case outweighs that of life in prison, with actual statistics being very hard to come by. There is also the trouble of exonerated death row inmates and wrongful executions. In my opinion the difference in punishment between death and life in prison is not worth the chance of wrongful execution, which seems to be significant. There is also the question of whether the death penalty is equally applied among everyone. Lastly, although I'm not sure I agree with this, some people have argued that the death penalty is not an equal response to murder, because death row inmates must spend years waiting and knowing that they are going to die. It is suggested this is a torture exceeding that which the convicted gave his or her victims. I think this is the weakest argument of them, but it may have some merit. In a perfect world where a 100% guilty person was immediately put to death, with the whole thing costing less than life in prison, I could easily support that, but in our real world I'm not sure anymore that capital punishment is practical.

    But I'm curious about how the people on DP feel about it. Especially to see if there are significant groups of people among those who oppose the death penalty who support the idea in theory, but not in reality and those who simply oppose the idea in principle.
    I'm fine with it in theory. I now oppose it because we have proven beyond realistic doubt that we get it right often enough to justify it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #220
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    This really isn't an issue of deterrence, but one of justice being served.
    That's my point, you think justice is served through punishment, I say that isn't the point of the justice system, it's to protect, not to punish.

Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •