View Poll Results: Do you support the Death Penalty

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support the Death Penalty

    38 42.70%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Principle

    27 30.34%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Practicality

    17 19.10%
  • Other

    7 7.87%
Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 335

Thread: Death Penalty in Theory

  1. #141
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Unfortunately, the person that he/she killed did not have the ability to kill the murderer on the spot, when the threat occurred. That would have been the ultimate solution to the problem.
    OK. It doesn't change the fact that I don't think we should kill them after the fact.

  2. #142
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Indeed, but threat removed is threat removed; and once the threat is removed you may no longer act. Humans are monkeys and it would be great if we all acknowledged and lived by the rights and liberties of the other; but not everyone does. But that doesn't mean we must sink to the lowest common denominator because of it.
    Humans are monkeys? This is quite a revelation...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #143
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    The system does err on the side of the accused which is why it should not take decades to administer the justice decided. What is the percentage of individuals in prison that are sentenced to death. I would guess it's somewhat miniscule compared to those serving other sentences...
    Well you may be right on that, we do throw an extraordinarily high number of people in prison so per prison population, death row inmates may not be that high a percentage. Falling too as States no longer want to pay out the money necessary for death convictions. But that doesn't give license to be lax. It doesn't mean we can marginalize large use of government force when we know the system is broken. We do not need to kill our inmates anymore, it does nothing for us and serves no purpose.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #144
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Which is a moral argument, thus an emotional one. Back to square one.
    You made a moral judgment when you called the person unworthy of living. I guess you're not immune from emotion.

  5. #145
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Humans are monkeys? This is quite a revelation...
    It is for YECers. But the point is that just because some folk may give into their animalistic past doesn't mean that the whole of us need to. We don't need to fall to lowest common denominator, there is a high road and we can take it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #146
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That's statement of fact. If you are going to use the ultimate government force, you must be able to prove the point. We already know the flaws of the system, we've seen the people exonerated, we've seeing the moratoriums because it was found that over half the people on death row were there for crimes the did not commit, we know that because of lack of perfect knowledge we will kill innocent people by endorsing the death penalty. You want to use the ultimate government force, you cannot just do so because you think it's justice or you think its right or you think that the individual doesn't deserve life. It must be proven and with increased government force comes increased burden of proof.

    You endorse a broken system and have no argument for it. There is no added safety above LWOP, it is more expensive, it consume innocent life, it is not necessary anymore. None of these facts have you been able to counter.
    There you go again, claiming that the government is some alien entity. It isn't. It is the representative legal arm of the people. The people vote to make the death penalty legal or illegal. So long as the people want the DP to be legal, it isn't some imposition by the government, it's the will of the people!

    Geez, I don't believe I have to keep explaining this to you.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #147
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
    You made a moral judgment when you called the person unworthy of living. I guess you're not immune from emotion.
    No, the people decided that when they made the death penalty legal and designated certain crimes liable for execution. No emotion involved.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #148
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
    You made a moral judgment when you called the person unworthy of living. I guess you're not immune from emotion.
    Awww snap! If you look at the lines of arguments, you'll find that those against the death penalty do not fall to the appeal to emotion as oft as those for it. It's necessary to do so for those willing to arbitrase the death of innocent life.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #149
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well you may be right on that, we do throw an extraordinarily high number of people in prison so per prison population, death row inmates may not be that high a percentage. Falling too as States no longer want to pay out the money necessary for death convictions. But that doesn't give license to be lax. It doesn't mean we can marginalize large use of government force when we know the system is broken. We do not need to kill our inmates anymore, it does nothing for us and serves no purpose.
    The voters of the individual States choose whether or not it is appropriate. Why should society be forced to support a person of a heinous crime as determined by a judge and jury for life?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #150
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    There you go again, claiming that the government is some alien entity. It isn't. It is the representative legal arm of the people. The people vote to make the death penalty legal or illegal. So long as the people want the DP to be legal, it isn't some imposition by the government, it's the will of the people!

    Geez, I don't believe I have to keep explaining this to you.
    So appeal to popularity then? So if enough people think slavery should be legal, that's cool too? Just a logical extension of your argument, don't get mad bro.

    There is no treatment of government as alien entity, but there is acknowledgement of necessary government force. And if you want to kill someone through the use of government guns, you call down the ultimate force government can exert against an individual.

    Again, you cannot address the points, you are merely deflecting.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •