View Poll Results: Do you support the Death Penalty

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support the Death Penalty

    38 42.70%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Principle

    27 30.34%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Practicality

    17 19.10%
  • Other

    7 7.87%
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 335

Thread: Death Penalty in Theory

  1. #101
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Right, so it's not really the death penalty that is so expensive.
    Well, it's the process. The actual act is a few dollars. I'm all for charging convicted criminals a buck to pay for the bullet in the back of the head.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    I'm relieved and pleased to see that most people are against the death penalty.

  3. #103
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,104

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    I support the DP based on ethics...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #104
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'm relieved and pleased to see that most people are against the death penalty.
    It just goes to show how many people react emotionally rather than think rationally, which is a massive problem in the world today.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It just goes to show how many people react emotionally rather than think rationally, which is a massive problem in the world today.
    I know it! So stop reacting emotionally. Wanting to kill people is the pinnacle of being over emotional!

  6. #106
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    There is zero evidence that prison deters anyone, why not just get rid of prisons? The fact remains, these are PUNISHMENTS, not DETERRENTS. How many times do we have to keep repeating that before you stop flogging your straw man?
    This is a stupid argument. Prison in general offers a lot of security and purpose to society in general, anarchy doesn't work. However, the death penalty secures nothing for society on whole above that which the prison system itself already yields.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #107
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I know it! So stop reacting emotionally. Wanting to kill people is the pinnacle of being over emotional!
    If there is one person on here, that you will not see reacting on emotion, rather than reason, it is Cephus.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #108
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It just goes to show how many people react emotionally rather than think rationally, which is a massive problem in the world today.
    Indeed it is. Most arguments I see in favor of the DP are rather emotional. It doesn't consider the pitfalls of the system, the cost not only in dollars but in human life, the proper constraints of government, and the necessity for the DP in our modern society.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #109
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I know it! So stop reacting emotionally. Wanting to kill people is the pinnacle of being over emotional!
    There's no emotion here, nobody is suggesting killing people at random, it's only those who, through their own actions, have proven themselves to be unworthy of continued life on this planet.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #110
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    This is a stupid argument. Prison in general offers a lot of security and purpose to society in general, anarchy doesn't work. However, the death penalty secures nothing for society on whole above that which the prison system itself already yields.
    Sure it does. It secures justice. It guarantees consequences for one's actions. I thought you libertarians were all about personal responsibility and consequences from actions.

    Guess not.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •