View Poll Results: Do you support the Death Penalty

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support the Death Penalty

    38 42.70%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Principle

    27 30.34%
  • I Oppose the Death Penalty due to Practicality

    17 19.10%
  • Other

    7 7.87%
Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 335

Thread: Death Penalty in Theory

  1. #91
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,038

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    I didn't mean sin in a religious sense-

    You do know the difference between punishment and prevention?

    When you lock someone up they cannot commit a crime, if you want to punish them, you want them to suffer for their crimes, the difference is in intent, one is to prevent further crime, the other is to make sure someone "pays" for their crime.

    THe death penalty is purely the latter.
    deads cant suffer
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  2. #92
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    When you lock someone up they cannot commit a crime, if you want to punish them, you want them to suffer for their crimes, the difference is in intent, one is to prevent further crime, the other is to make sure someone "pays" for their crime.
    Seriously? You think there's no crime in prisons? You think there's no violence in prisons? You think there are no murders in prisons?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #93
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Seriously? You think there's no crime in prisons? You think there's no violence in prisons? You think there are no murders in prisons?
    Of course there is, though I don't see how the next logical step is "kill them all".
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #94
    User Cecil900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bay Area
    Last Seen
    12-01-13 @ 08:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    124

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    Many of the cases I've read about had to do with law enforcement perjury. Its hard to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt when you consider that some of these people have an incentive to lie in order to get a conviction.
    This. This times a BILLION.
    "Why is it that if you take advantage of a corporate tax break you're a smart businessman, but if you take advantage of something so you don't go hungry, you're a moocher?"
    -Jon Stewart

  5. #95
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Of course there is, though I don't see how the next logical step is "kill them all".
    Nobody said kill them all. Please quote where anyone said that.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #96
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    I don't believe in Government Welfare.
    What happened to "Blessed are the poor"? It's their kingdom, after all.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  7. #97
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,106

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    There is 0 evidence that a death penalty deters more people than life in prison.
    You are hopping back and forth between a topic and a sub-topic. The belief that you can attack an institution with relative impunity (as it was put, "it's honor") does indeed encourage follow on attacks. The death penalty as it is currently structured is not an effective deterrent because deterrents to crime must be swift, sure, and public; and our death penalty is none of these things.

  8. #98
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    There is 0 evidence that a death penalty deters more people than life in prison.
    There is zero evidence that prison deters anyone, why not just get rid of prisons? The fact remains, these are PUNISHMENTS, not DETERRENTS. How many times do we have to keep repeating that before you stop flogging your straw man?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    What happened to "Blessed are the poor"? It's their kingdom, after all.
    Why not quote the entire line?

    Matthew 5:3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

    I don't imagine you can explain to me what that has to do with anything he said.

  10. #100
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Death Penalty in Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Unfortunately, a lot of the time it does, simply because we allow people to file endless appeals, at taxpayer expense, to keep putting off the execution. More often than not, these appeals are perfunctory, they are filed just because the convicted criminal doesn't want to die, not because there's any actual evidence of innocence. There are millions upon millions of dollars wasted because we have no controls.
    Right, so it's not really the death penalty that is so expensive.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •