View Poll Results: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it!

    19 24.05%
  • Keep it, but it needs SEVERE reform.

    38 48.10%
  • End it

    15 18.99%
  • Other

    7 8.86%
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 186

Thread: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    275
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    You're welcome to rest your case. But don't call it an Obamaphone; because it isn't. He didn't start the program nor did he institute the cell phone component.

    As for it "still needs to go" -- I disagree. Know what keeps homeless people homeless most of all? No way to get a job -- no way for employers to contact them -- no way for any agency to contact them.

    This program is subsidized (not paid in full) through a fee program charged to service providers for that purpose. Taxpayer money is not involved.

    Facts are your friend.
    Fair enough, that was an interesting fact you brought up. Well you learn something new every day.

    Most welfare recipients are not allowed to hold jobs while they are on welfare, if they were than perhaps your argument would be valid.

  2. #32
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,691
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    Let's let the states handle welfare how they see fit. Some states, like Cali and Texas need protections against abuse from illegal aliens, while other states might need protection for seasonal workers as construction and farming halts during winter.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  3. #33
    Guru
    GhostlyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,712

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    What about some kind of community service in exchange for assistance
    What about mandatory enrollment in a trade program and tax incentives for businesses that hire from the program
    Maybe food pantries where people have credit and actually exchange the credit for food instead of getting the money directly, money would go further
    I think the food-stamp program works fairly well as is, though I wouldn't be opposed to limited it along the lines of WIC, where most groceries are eligible but certain foods and beverages (alcohol, for example) are excluded. Food pantries are simply not as efficient .. how much milk is needed from one month to the next for, say, an entire cities' needy? How many eggs? How is that determined? Rather, I think it's preferable to use the existing food distribution networks (groceries) which are pretty efficient at allocating supply to meet demand and are more responsive to shifts in that demand.

  4. #34
    Guru
    GhostlyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,712

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Let's let the states handle welfare how they see fit. Some states, like Cali and Texas need protections against abuse from illegal aliens, while other states might need protection for seasonal workers as construction and farming halts during winter.
    Many of these programs are operated at the state level but funded federally.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    Maybe you should do away with welfare completely. Start a new program and screen the applicants very closely for eligibility....All applicants must take a drug test when they apply.......Fail it and your out.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  6. #36
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Liberty View Post
    Fair enough, that was an interesting fact you brought up. Well you learn something new every day.

    Most welfare recipients are not allowed to hold jobs while they are on welfare, if they were than perhaps your argument would be valid.
    My argument is completely valid. Most homeless people aren't on welfare. Homeless people have kids. Kids get sick. Phones get help. It costs you nothing. TANF allows working while receiving welfare. All states offer TANF. DHS: Answers to Your Questions TANF - DHS 4047
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #37
    Guru
    GhostlyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,712

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Well the first liberal has leaped in here to stop all reform. Keep the spending going. Carry on.
    The data are for context. Let's not just argue based on stereotypes. I never said I oppose all reform.

  8. #38
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,574
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Callender View Post
    Or you could take some time off as a social engineer and put some time in yourself to help others instead of forcing others to with your vote. There's nothing noble about pointing your finger at someone you envy and ordering them to give their money to someone else you pity.
    LOL It took me a couple of re-reads to figure out what you were trying to say here.

    I work and pay my taxes, happy to let some of them be used for social welfare programs. I give blood freely although I've never had to use any. I've volunteered at food lines, serving, cooking and donating food. Now you don't have to do that, you are under no obligation.

    Hmmmm.. Can I presume like me that you pay taxes? Now I am sure that there are many things you don't like our government doing they use our taxes to pay for. I know there are some that I don't like.

    I bet there are some things you DO support our government paying for though. How about looking at it this way. Instead of thinking of your one-onehundreth of a penny in taxes that might be used for social welfare programs just pretend I paid two-onehundreths because I support them and you paid two-onehundreths to programs you do support?

    There you go! Now none of YOUR tax dollars went to a program you don't support. All better now?? LOL
    Last edited by Captain Adverse; 08-25-13 at 11:33 PM.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  9. #39
    Guru
    GhostlyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,712

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Maybe you should do away with welfare completely. Start a new program and screen the applicants very closely for eligibility....All applicants must take a drug test when they apply.......Fail it and your out.
    And what then for those whose poverty stems from addiction? What about those who smoked a joint a few days ago? They should just be allowed to slip through society's gutters? How about we just randomly drug test everyone ... just stop them on the street, tap them on the shoulder and have them piss in a cup? It's pretty firmly established that nearly all us get government benefits at some time in our lives. Shouldn't we all be subject to more scrutiny, then?

  10. #40
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    anonymous polls suck



Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •