View Poll Results: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it!

    19 24.05%
  • Keep it, but it needs SEVERE reform.

    38 48.10%
  • End it

    15 18.99%
  • Other

    7 8.86%
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 186

Thread: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

  1. #131
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Callender View Post
    Could these pictures be used to describe the U.S. before welfare?

    These pictures all look like they were taken in the welfare era.
    I'm not sure. When did the "welfare era" begin? I have a theory about that but you might not like it. Anyway, I was just trying to answer the question of "what do I think would happen post-welfare". The answer, starvation and desperate crime.

  2. #132
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    I'm not sure. When did the "welfare era" begin? I have a theory about that but you might not like it. Anyway, I was just trying to answer the question of "what do I think would happen post-welfare". The answer, starvation and desperate crime.
    Tough love is expected to be just that, tough...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #133
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Tough love is expected to be just that, tough...
    I'm somewhat familiar with tough love after a year and a half of crisis counseling at The White Bird Clinic. But I'm not sure that it applies to everyone and everything.

    Where's the "love" part?

  4. #134
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    I'm somewhat familiar with tough love after a year and a half of crisis counseling at The White Bird Clinic. But I'm not sure that it applies to everyone and everything.

    Where's the "love" part?
    Allowing others to achieve for themselves rather than continuing a dependence on a handout from government for their existence...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  5. #135
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Allowing others to achieve for themselves rather than continuing a dependence on a handout from government for their existence...
    What if achieving ends up meaning stealing? Certainly they'd be providing for their family.

  6. #136
    Sage
    JC Callender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,632

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    I'm not sure. When did the "welfare era" begin? I have a theory about that but you might not like it. Anyway, I was just trying to answer the question of "what do I think would happen post-welfare". The answer, starvation and desperate crime.
    I disagree that it would be starvation and desperate crime, and my example is the U.S. pre-welfare. Have you heard of widespread desperate crime and starvation before we had entitlements in this country?

  7. #137
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    Quote Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
    What if achieving ends up meaning stealing? Certainly they'd be providing for their family.
    I would have more respect for those that could pull it off than I do for those that choose to simply live on what is provided by the government as it shows some initiative...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  8. #138
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    I would have more respect for those that could pull it off than I do for those that choose to simply live on what is provided by the government as it shows some initiative...
    What if they were stealing from you?

  9. #139
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    Quote Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
    What if they were stealing from you?
    They wouldn't...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #140
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Callender View Post
    I disagree that it would be starvation and desperate crime, and my example is the U.S. pre-welfare. Have you heard of widespread desperate crime and starvation before we had entitlements in this country?
    Sure I have.
    Welfare: Keep, Reform or End?-images-1-jpegWelfare: Keep, Reform or End?-images-jpegWelfare: Keep, Reform or End?-imgres-jpeg

    Is this acceptable?

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •