View Poll Results: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • George W. Bush

    1 2.08%
  • George H. W. Bush

    1 2.08%
  • Ronald Reagan

    4 8.33%
  • Gerald Ford

    2 4.17%
  • Richard Nixon

    7 14.58%
  • None of the Above

    33 68.75%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 109

Thread: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

  1. #71
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Liberty View Post
    No, Obama has no real interest in eliminating the deficit. His own economic theory (Keynesian Economics) actually states that the more money is spent on programs, the more money is gained in the long run.

    Also, yes he has attempted to increase taxes on the rich. So if his end goal really is to reduce the deficit, he would rather have the citizenry pay for it rather then cutting a few unnecessary government programs. The economic problem we have today is that the government views each of it's programs as "vital" and thinks that if you cut a program or two here and there the nation will plunge into anarchy. President Obama himself even said something similar in a speech about the sequester.
    I guess the difference is that I view the government as the people and you view it as the enemy.
    When I think of taxing the rich, I think of the Walton family, BP and Exon. You think of the people.
    I view Obama as the best advocate that "we the people" have had in a very long time. You view him as the enemy.

    Am I wrong?

  2. #72
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,325

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    When I think of taxing the rich, I think of the Walton family, BP and Exon. You think of the people.
    You don't think they already contribute enough to the revenue?

    I suggest you pay more first, before suggesting other people should.

  3. #73
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    You don't cut the deficit or debt by increasing tax rates. Revenue historically stabilizes at an average 18.3% of GDP, or maybe it's GNP. This means we need increased economic activity. Higher taxes reduce economic activity. That's why lowering taxes a little at a time is the better option.
    Has history not proven repeatedly that raising taxes does not stifle growth?
    No one wants to raise them to a bad level. Just back to where it was for the growth during the Clinton years.
    That, plus stopping the welfare for oil companies and closing corporate loopholes.

    We can definitely agree on needing increased economic activity. I do not see that happening though so long as we have 100 million working poor. No amount of tax adjustments will change that one. Up or down. Corporations will always pay as little as they can get away with. We need a living wage. Then when we empower 100 million people to make it without welfare, we'd have economic growth.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    275
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    I guess the difference is that I view the government as the people and you view it as the enemy.
    When I think of taxing the rich, I think of the Walton family, BP and Exon. You think of the people.
    I view Obama as the best advocate that "we the people" have had in a very long time. You view him as the enemy.

    Am I wrong?
    1). When Obama talks about taxing the "rich" he means anyone living a halfway decent lifestyle. i.e ME!

    2). The people you mentioned...yeah they're rich. Your point? Why should they be punished for becoming successful? What makes it okay to raise taxes on them just because they have a little bit more than everyone else? You realize that's called redistribution which is actually one of the main core values of the Socialist and Communist Parties?

    3). The government is not "the people". We are not a democracy. We vote people into office to vote for us. That's called a republic.

    4). I do not view government as an enemy, I see the current members of the government as the enemy...and rightfully so. As Americans we are supposed to be skeptical of our government, that's why the constitution was ratified! Because the colonists didn't trust the government! They felt that certain powers had to be checked and balanced because they knew that not all members of the government would be perfect little angels who want good for everybody.

  5. #75
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,325

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Has history not proven repeatedly that raising taxes does not stifle growth?
    No one wants to raise them to a bad level. Just back to where it was for the growth during the Clinton years.
    That, plus stopping the welfare for oil companies and closing corporate loopholes.

    We can definitely agree on needing increased economic activity. I do not see that happening though so long as we have 100 million working poor. No amount of tax adjustments will change that one. Up or down. Corporations will always pay as little as they can get away with. We need a living wage. Then when we empower 100 million people to make it without welfare, we'd have economic growth.
    Clinton was lucky. If it wasn't for the semiconductor industry revolutionizing things, and the Y2K scare, the 90's would have been pretty bad.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    A "meme" I saw on facebook this morning asked this question.
    I was very surprised at the answer.

    While it is debatable as to whether the credit goes to Congress or the Presidents, we know that the last 3 Democratic Presidents ALL decreased the annual deficit. These Presidents include:

    Barrack Obama
    Bill Clinton
    Jimmy Carter

    I am curious as to how many people get it right as to who the last Republican President was that decreased the annual deficit.
    The reason I think this is important is because public opinion of this is extremely backwards as compared to reality.
    Just a few of things:

    1) This is a factual question concerning who was president during a time of reduced deficit.

    2) That doesn't mean the president is responsible.

    3) presidents have less control here. Deficit (not economy) can be effected by budget decisions. But congress likely plans a larger role.

    Now as to taxing he rich. They are rarely actually taxed much. They have enough money to skirt around it. A simple progressive tax without loop holes would do the job. Both sides demonize groups of people. We'd do better to merely discuss best approaches.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #77
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Liberty View Post
    1). When Obama talks about taxing the "rich" he means anyone living a halfway decent lifestyle. i.e ME!

    2). The people you mentioned...yeah they're rich. Your point? Why should they be punished for becoming successful? What makes it okay to raise taxes on them just because they have a little bit more than everyone else? You realize that's called redistribution which is actually one of the main core values of the Socialist and Communist Parties?
    Unless your making over 250,000 a year... Nobody considers you rich.
    That's per year, not in net worth. 250k in net worth is nothing. 250k per year is really damn good.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    275
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Unless your making over 250,000 a year... Nobody considers you rich.
    That's per year, not in net worth. 250k in net worth is nothing. 250k per year is really damn good.
    An Obama win on taxes for rich could still mean middle class takes a hit - Washington Post

  9. #79
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,325

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Just a few of things:

    1) This is a factual question concerning who was president during a time of reduced deficit.

    2) That doesn't mean the president is responsible.

    3) presidents have less control here. Deficit (not economy) can be effected by budget decisions. But congress likely plans a larger role.

    Now as to taxing he rich. They are rarely actually taxed much. They have enough money to skirt around it. A simple progressive tax without loop holes would do the job. Both sides demonize groups of people. We'd do better to merely discuss best approaches.
    Is that coming from an understanding, or jealousy?

  10. #80
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Is that coming from an understanding, or jealousy?
    Not sure what you're taking about. It was a reasonable statement. Not partisan either.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •